"Yellowjackets" on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, the pilot episode was appalling bad. Horrid writing, acting, you name it. The only potential positive outcome is that some of the awful people die and at least one seems to provide a meal for the others. Not to mention Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and William Golding's Lord of the Flies already did a superior job with the basic premise.

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't hate it as much as you, but didn't think too much of it. Very "Big Little Lies", which I didn't really care for. I do really like Melanie Lynskey and Juliette Lewis, so I'll give it a few more episodes.

Scott57 likes this.
  3. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Wife and I liked it - at least enough to look forward to upcoming episodes.

Scott57, SRC and Scope J like this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Agree about the first episode, as I watched it with my wife and daughter I was shocked how bad it was and it’s Showtiime. Looked like something on the CW. Can I get better?

5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I turned it off after about 12 minutes. That flipping back-and-forth between time
    just drives me nuts. I had great hope for this one.

forthlin likes this.
  6. Bachtoven

I wish had! The time flipping was the least objectionable aspect for me, although I don't care for it, either.

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

There's a skill level required to pull off the time-flip thing, it's best used sparingly.

8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

What annoyed me was the constant intrusion of abysmal rap music (redundant term). That tells me that I'm not the audience for this show. The music makes this abundantly clear and I will heed them and not watch anymore. The blonde team captain is hot though, but not hot enough to keep watching.

Bachtoven likes this.
  9. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I turned it off after about 20 minutes—ghastly on every level. Yeah, the soundtrack (I won’t dignify it by calling it “music”) made it even worse.

kanakaris likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why start a thread for a show you hate?

11. Bachtoven

As a warning.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

It's not that bad...

SRC likes this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I struggled through the first few episodes, I guess trying to justify my new Showtime subscription. It gets better around the 4th episode. I hope it's not going supernatural - not my thing.

JoeRockhead, spanky1 and Scope J like this.
  14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I kept seeing ads for this show, so I decided to check and see if there were any threads on it. My wife and I usually jump into series late, and then catch up with the "on-demand" feature... It appears nobody around here likes this series, huh?

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I hated episode one so we dropped the show but I have heard some people do like the show as it progresses so we may give it another try.

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I've stuck with it so far but I am on the fence about watching any future season- some characters are good and well structured, others simplistic, cliched and ridiculous - it hasn't really paid off yet I'm hoping it will in the remaining 2 episodes

17. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I’m enjoying it, avidly. I think the mystery as to what actually happened when the team was lost in the wilderness is… not entirely a McGuffin, to borrow from Hitchcock, but maybe a half-McGuffin.

I think the show is as much about the inner lives of the lead female characters, as it is about the mystery. There’s pathos in the contrast between the teenage girls and their dreams of the future - until the accident, anyway - and the reality that their adult lives didn’t quite meet expectations, as they struggle with adult issues like infidelity and substance abuse.

I wonder if a show that was just about the former (teen expectations vs. adult reality) without the horror/mystery component would be green-lit by a television network these days.

18. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

It's dragged out, and padded, to add episodes. Should have told the story, and wrapped up in about half the time. I stuck with it, mainly to see if the payoff is worth the journey. Sometimes a slow pace builds tension and drama, this just has me saying, get on with it.

19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Negative threads will always bring out the negative people. If you went by people "around here", then some of the albums generally considered fantastic by most regular people, are "over-rated".

Yellowjackets is one of the best, if not the best, reviewed new TV series in 2021. If people here think the acting is bad, I don't know what show they are watching. I think the acting is great, it's one of the most well-crafted shows Showtime has debuted in some time. I ultimately decided it's not for me because the subject matter is a bit too gruesome and depressing for me - regardless of the execution, the subject matter here is probably not for everyone - but I find the opinions here about its quality very odd, but nothing should surprise me here anymore.

DPM, Lars Medley, GreenFuz and 6 others like this.
  20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

It's a mess, that's what it is.

unclefred likes this.
  21. SmallDarkCloud

One of the reasons I keep watching the show, though by no means the only one, is the subtle details, well-crafted foreshadowing, and layered narratives that pay off over time.

The show’s writers and directors have a knack of carefully showing you something, then later revealing - without cheating or breaking internal logic - that what you thought you saw wasn’t quite what happened. It makes for compulsive viewing, if you’re willing to stick with the show, though I like the show for other reasons as well (great acting, strong characters, etc.).

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Looked like they were trippin'
    on bad acid, rather than good
    ol' shrooms

ubiknik likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. SmallDarkCloud

Possibly the best episode of the series, so far!

Scope J likes this.
  25. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Season 1 is over but it is easily the best thing on TV right now. The acting is superb but I have to single out Christina Ricci for her original and terrifying Misty. All the teen and adult performances match each other perfectly. The writers let you make assumptions and keep delivering surprises. Episode 10 reached new levels: black humor, raw emotion, real heartbreak. It's not Lord Of The Flies it's a big surprise and it's been renewed with a planned 5 seasons.