what's the most recent documentary you watched (film/tv/web)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by polchik, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Legendary roadie Neville Chesters had little good to say about Robert Stigwood, calling him a sexual predator.

2. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

There is a Netflix documentary series about various heists. We watched the two-part episode on the Pappy Van Winkel heist. It was interesting, but not very well made. Far too much melodrama getting in the way of an interesting story.

My current favorite documentary maker is on Youtube. He goes by the name of Kevin Perjurer, which amuses me, and his channel is called Defunctland. He mainly covers the history of various theme parks, particularly the Disney parks, but also does great work on other various entertainment venues. His video on the history of Coney Island is absolutely brilliant, as is his piece on the Chicago Exhibition.

His latest is an hour and a half magnum opus on... waiting in line. His work reminds me of This American Life of old, where they would take a mundane topic and make it fascinating. This is one of those situations. It starts out with wait times being a problem at the original Disney parks, goes into the history of amusement park rides, corporate culture, takes side-trips into manufacturing engineering, psychology, marketing, optimization theory, and computer modelling. It's brilliant.

mradmack likes this.
  3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Watched this last night as I live in the shadows of the facility that is the subject of this documentary.

johnod likes this.
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

PBS American Experience's Murder Of A President. It's about James Garfield's brief run as President. I liked it very much.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

PBS Passport: "Citizen Hearst". A good overview of the man's life, his personality and influence. Of course "Citizen Kane" comes up...

C.

Simon A and Rachael Bee like this.
  6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary

Maybe a little heavy on a couple of cosplayers but altogether a significant documentary on the making of the film and why it is so loved.

Most of the actors and producers take part in interviews. Although an independently-made documentary, moments from the film were allowed to be licensed to accompany their recollections. But none of the photos of the damage to a set (from a fire) were made available - even though such photos surely exist since insurance adjusters would have documented that. (And there’s next to none behind the scenes footage.) So it is more of an oral history than a deep dive into the archives. And that is this documentary’s strength.

Derek Slazenger and Rachael Bee like this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Watched "Ginger Baker In Africa" last night. Very cool. 1971.

8. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Unabomber In His Own Words on Netflix. Enjoyed, as much as one can enjoy that type of thing.

9. polchik

polchik Forum Resident Thread Starter

'chasing trane'

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

11. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Watched Dark Days on Criterion. Saw it when it was first released about 20 years ago.

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

HBO. Music Box: Mr. Saturday Night - Robert Stigwood
    :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Simon A and Classic Car Guy like this.
  13. polchik

trespassing bergman

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    vapor minor likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watched Episode # 1 of the history of A & M studios.

Fascinating...

Simon A and Derek Slazenger like this.
  15. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Creem Magazine

Simon A and seacliffe301 like this.
  16. polchik

"MLK / FBI"

17. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Morrison Hotel.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Last night I watched a documentary on the Buick turbo Grand National Regal.

Lot of devoted people own those cars. Fascinating that it came from the Buick Division and not Pontiac or Chevrolet..

Really enjoyed it.

It was free on Youtube.

Simon A likes this.
  19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

[​IMG]
    New York City's Bowery has a notorious history and is synonymous with hobos, drunks and the downtrodden. This documentary portrays one of the street's last remaining flophouses in a neighborhood transformed by gentrification. The Sunshine Hotel is a link to the Bowery's rapidly vanishing past and home to a fascinating array of characters who tell how they ended up there. Our guide and narrator is the hotel's manager, who introduces us to the residents.

jupiter8 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

JFK Revisited

yesstiles, polchik and Max_Renn83 like this.
  21. woody

woody Forum Resident

Closed For Storm. The Bright Sun Youtube guy with a full length doc on Jazzland in N.O. Thumbs up from me.

22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I missed this somehow. The entire American Experience series is very well done.

I liked The Real Charlie Chaplin. I didn't know anything about him being run out of the US in the big Red Scare. I also didn't realize how popular he really was.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Get Back. I'm glad it exists but frankly, i'm waiting for the rerelease of Let It Be

polchik likes this.
  24. clayton

clayton Senior Member

The Mole Man on Netflix

25. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

Tiny Tim - King For a Day (2020)

[​IMG]

Simon A and polchik like this.