Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I just came back from immersion in the music on this disc.

What can I say, it brings out my 'mystic smile' :winkgrin:

Lorin Maazel
    Cleveland Orchestra
    Scriabin:
    Le Poeme de l'extase

Vladimir Ashkenazy
    London Philharmonic Orchestra
    Lorin Maazel
    Scriabin:
    Piano Concerto
    Prometheus

London, 1989
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, TonyACT and George P like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Chillin' out with this lovely 2CD set.

3. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I love Baroque music. If any would like to share any particular recordings you'd say are "to die for" and not to be missed, please share. I would hope to find them on vinyl, but understand that may not be an option; just my preference. Thank you. -Zafu

4. George P

Welcome to the corner, Zafu! :wave:

I am not a vinyl guy, but hopefully others can help. My favorite baroque violinist is Giuliano Carmignola.

Zafu likes this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just about anything by Musica Antiqua Koln will be top-notch, and much of that group's discography was issued on LP. I particularly value its Telemann (MAK rescued that composer for us from the drab world of the Paillards and such), Bach, and Buxtehude.

If you like organ, I'm fond of the "complete" Bach and Buxtehude cycles by Michel Chapuis, originally on Telefunken LPs (co-produced with Valois), then Auvidis Valois; the Bach was issued on a budget reissue label a few years back at a bargain price but I think has gone out of print. "Complete" in "quotation marks" because some Bach works have come to light since it was recorded.

I am not fond of the organ recordings by Walter Kraft on Vox; the ones I've heard I thought plodding. Opinions may vary.

I love D. Scarlatti's harpsichord sonatas, but the best complete cycle supposedly is by Scott Ross, and I don't know it. I have a complete cycle on Brilliant by Pieter-Jan Belder that is generally OK, but I wouldn't call it "to die for." The thing about Scarlatti is that the sonatas should be performed in Kirkpatrick pairs, but "greatest hits" type selections almost never are. Ross and Belder do follow Kirkpatrick. Gilbert Rowland started a complete cycle on LP on his own Keyboard label; those, too, presented the works in Kirkpatrick pairs and had the added virtue of being done mostly in unedited single takes. Unfortunately, the project ran afoul of the market's transition from LP to CD and stopped after he had recorded only a bit more than half the sonatas. I believe Rowland recorded a complete Antonio Soler cycle for Naxos; I don't know those recordings but very much like a 12" 45 RPM record of selected Soler sonatas that he did for Nimbus much earlier. All these are on harpsichord, by the way. I strongly prefer to hear this music on the instrument for which it was written, although like Bach's it works fine on modern piano. Music of the French harpsichordists, by contrast, I find not to work at all well on piano as a rule; the most conspicuous exception I can call to mind is a couple of 78s I have of bits by Couperin and Rameau, played by Henri Gil-Marchex. I'd be very surprised if you could find those reissued in a more modern format; they're pretty obscure stuff even by 78 standards.

I'm rattling on too much, but let me suggest one more thing: a collection of Biber and (attr. Biber) by a young group called ACRONYM. The 17-minute (attr. Biber) chaconne is worth the price of the whole disc.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Biber-Battle-Bethel-Ball-Acronym/dp/B07JVF8B4M (not necessarily the cheapest source, but it will give you the details for further searching)

[Edit] Oh, yes, and let me echo George: Welcome!

George P, Daedalus, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

A wonderful CD from the big Karajan box set-I continue my travels through the 70s section in my quest to listen to every CD in this box set in its order of inclusion. Perhaps this box set is the Mt Everest of box sets? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  7. Daedalus

Bernstein’s 1989 live performance conducting the NYP-this one is even more emotionally wrought than Rozhdestvensky’s older reading on Melodiya. Edit: Excellent sound quality as well. It is early digital but sounds analog-I haven’t read the notes yet concerning remastering in this box.[​IMG]

Klavier, mcwlod and TonyACT like this.
  8. Daedalus

I am immersed in this great recording this morning-which I did not know was a great recording until this morning( speaking of the 6th). I haven’t heard the Francesca yet.[​IMG]

dale 88, TonyACT and Eigenvector like this.
  9. Daedalus

Regarding that Markevitch/LSO performance of Tchaikovsky’s 6th: I would put this particular recording in the top tier of the versions I have heard! I believe that this version in the Scribendum box was originally issued by Philips on LP( there aren’t any notes in the box) but this seems to be a reasonable guess based on the year of recording ( 1962). It may be worthwhile to seek out the LP version if you are a vinyl fan. The sound quality is excellent and the performance is superlative.

TonyACT and dale 88 like this.
  10. dale 88

From the 2021 Warner box set: Camille Saint-Saens Edition, 34 discs, I have to stop and comment that disc 8 is a great pleasure to hear. It has some of Saint-Saens violin music.
    Violin Concerto No. 3
    Ulf Hoelscher, violin
    New Philharmonia Orchestra
    Pierre Dervaux

La Muse et le poete
    Introduction et Rondo capriccioso
    Havanaise
    Valse-Caprice
    Renaud Capucon, violin

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France [for La Muse et le poete]
    Lionel Bringuier

Due Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen [for Introduction et Rondo capriccioso; Havanaise; Valse-Caprice.
    Daniel Harding
    [​IMG]

Daedalus and Rose River Bear like this.
  11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree the Hoelscher recordings with Dervaux are great. I have this old 2 CD set.
    [​IMG]

Daedalus and dale 88 like this.
  12. Daedalus

This morning to start off( Beethoven piano sonatas 10,19,20 also included):[​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  13. dale 88

Well played-from a Roussel series conducted by Deneve.
    Roussel: Symphony No. 2; Pour une fete de printemps; Suite in F
    Stephane Deneve
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra
    Naxos, 2008
    [​IMG]

14. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Italian Baroque The Instrumental Edition
    Complete Brilliant Classics Box

Back into it this morning. This time I'm streaming the entire set on shuffle. Outside of a serious st down session for the individual works/CDs it's my favorite way of appreciating sets like these. Nice YouTubeMusic edition.

George P likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Spinning Chopin Nocturnes/Hewitt.
    [​IMG]

16. George P

What do you think of it?

17. Rose River Bear

I am not overly familiar with the works and the only comparison I have is Rubenstein. So, I really am not qualified to give any opinion without the risk of sounding unqualified.
    The only thing I can mention is it seems to have quite a bit of reverb applied to the recording. Also, she sounds like she keeps the romantic type treatments to a minimum.

George P likes this.
  18. Daedalus

I am listening to this wonderful performance of Dvorak 6th:[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  19. Daedalus

I am greatly enjoying this work which, for me, is a first time hear:[​IMG]

20. George P

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Verdi funny--in fact, the cat's Milhaud!

Daedalus and George P like this.
  22. dale 88

Heinrich Schiff, cello
    Vienna Philharmonic
    Andre Previn
    Dvorak: Cello Concerto
    plus Cello and Piano versions of Silent Woods, Rondo in G minor, & Slavonic Dance in G minor.
    Philips, 1993
    Yes, the cello concerto is excellent.
    [​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  23. dale 88

[​IMG]

Now listening to Corelli's Christmas Concerto which is Concerto No. 8 in G minor: Fatto per la notte di Natale from the 12 Concerto Grossi Op. 6

Corelli: Complete Edition
    Musica Amphion
    Pieter-Jan Belder, conductor & harpischordist
    Brilliant Classics, 2010
    10 CDs
    Recorded in 2004

Daedalus, shepherdfan and Eigenvector like this.
  24. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Some wonderful and imaginative laying here.

[​IMG]

25. Daedalus

From the Kubelik DG box set:[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.