Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bump for a great set that I've been revisiting tonight. :)

2. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Absolutely love it. A spectacular listen!

Almost Simon and MLutthans like this.
  3. MLutthans

I recently (finally) picked up the Smithsonian single-disc set that accompanies A Voice on Air, titled Lost and Found.
    sinatrasmithsonian_cover.jpg

I have only heard the first three tracks thus far, but I am very impressed, and the song that inspired me to post here was the 5:50 (!) performance of "I Get a Kick Out of You" from 1943 with Raymond Scott, orchestra and chorus. I don't know if CBS needed filler that week, or if Raymond Scott was imbibing, but wow....what an interesting "take" on that song! It just goes....and goes....and goes, with a very interesting ebb and flow to it, like when, midway through, it suddenly becomes (essentially) a leisurely feature number for the choral group. It's very odd, but very interesting.

I look forward to hearing the rest.

4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

very intriguing, matt!

5. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Such a great set - and the Lost and Found disk is the cherry on top. Frank sounds like he is having a ball throughout these disks. Thanks for the reminder to pull them out!

6. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

:righton: Yes this is a fab little treasure, thanks for the reminder Matt. Where is Chuck these days and that other fellow mmm, you know mmm oh yeah MMM :angel:

7. MLutthans

(Please forgive me if this has been brought up.)

I see that the Lost & Found (Smithsonian) CD lists track 18, "Till the End of Time" from October 5, 1945, as being performed with "Harry James & his Music Makers." That's incorrect.....correct? Isn't that Axel Stordahl?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Correct (the booklet is incorrect). It is conducted by Axel Stordahl. Calling @Granata Chuck.

The Lost & Found booklet is also incorrect in claiming this was a previously unreleased broadcast performance: This complete episode of The Danny Kaye Show (with FS and Judy Garland as substitute hosts) appeared in the Radio Spirits 30-CD box set, 60 Greatest Old-Time Radio Shows Starring Frank Sinatra and Friends. Just prior to “’Til the End of Time” Frank introduces Axel and the band for an orchestral number (“I’ve Got You Under My Skin”).

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

P.S. :tiphat: My hat’s off to @MLutthans (or anyone with eyesight good enough to read the fine print credits in the Lost & Found booklet).

And this is the track in question:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If there is minutiae to be found, good ol' @MLutthans WILL find it! (And I say that with the utmost respect!)

11. MLutthans

......and yet, to quote Lloyd Nolan, "I don't know how the can opener works!"

Just to be clear, that Smithsonian set is exceptionally good, and I recommend it to anybody and everybody. I was just really surprised to see mention of Harry James in the credits.

Frank Sinatra – Lost and Found – The Radio Years (2015, CD)

12. MLutthans

Just a cool pic:
    frank-sinatra-stage-door-canteen.jpg

13. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

MLutthans likes this.
  14. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I’m sure it was the style back then but his suit looks 3 sizes too big for him. Looks like he’s drowning in it.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Like Frank said, he was a skinny kid, so skinny his eyes were single file. :wtf:

I think most people were in those days. No fast food restaurants for a start or additives.

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

17. MLutthans

Stage Door Canteen....maybe???

18. MLutthans

1640203671580.jpg.jpg
    Interesting that this was billed as being "featured by the new singing sensation Frank Sinatra," as there are two surviving radio performances from just after the Dorsey days (well before his first Columbia solo session), and no commercial attempts.

bozburn, paulmock, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 1942–44 AFM strike against the record companies scuttled many commercial attempts.

paulmock, CBackley, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have a framed music sheet, blue in tint using that same photo (full-sized and "autographed") for the song "My Ideal". Mr. S. never recorded it. But we finally got to hear an aircheck of him performing the song in the "On Air" box set.

colormesinatra, MLutthans and bozburn like this.
  21. MLutthans

There is a 12/18/43 radio performance that runs twice as long, but I've never heard it.

paulmock likes this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

23. MLutthans

@Bob F mentioned the Radio Spirits set a few posts back, and I have seen this used a number of times in stores, but always on cassette. I finally just broke down and bought the compact disc set on Discogs, and it arrived today, so I'm curious to start digging into that a little bit this weekend.

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I hope the Family can put out a new release soon -- maybe another radio set or the possible Columbia ballad set on IMPEX that Chuck Granata had brought up a while ago.

wvk3 and Bob F like this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I hope you have a LOT of time on your hands!

Frank Sinatra And Friends – 60 Greatest Old-Time Radio Shows (2000, CD)
    [​IMG]

Richard--W, paulmock and MLutthans like this.