Would you ever buy from a dealer/ manufacturer that was a jerk?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by WvL, Dec 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Which of course has no bearing on @gestalt that I try to do my audio business through (unsolicited plug). More of a general question. Where would you draw the line? If it was a dealer, find someone else selling the product. what if it were the manufacturer that was a jerk? Would this be a deal breaker? No, I don't have a specific example. sometimes people can just give negative feedback when you see how they interact

2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I have sold gear from a dealer that was so rude and insulting after the sale that I didn't want anything in my house associated with him.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

Ditto, I would do the same and as a matter of fact I have. But it's hard to part with my Vandersteen speakers, so they are the only thing remaining.

M~

4. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

A dealer (who I had previously bought from) was rude in correspondence and I have never shopped with them again.

DaveyF and macster like this.
  5. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Nope.
    They made more than one, you can always find whatever it is somewhere else.

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I try only to deal with people and not corporations. If a manufacturer is not forthcoming and accommodating then see you later. There are enough good ones out there, manufacturers, distributors and retail dealers that there is no good reason to remain with a “bad” one.

7. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

If spending big bucks then the relationship with seller becomes more important and a comfort that should anything go wrong with a piece of kit then there would be a kindly response. If someone was rude or brash then I'd go elsewhere irrespective of the price.

jusbe, Salparadise and macster like this.
  8. TMAN123

TMAN123 Well-Known Member

Hard pass.

timind likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Unfortunately, rudeness among Hi-Fi dealers seems exceptionally commonplace compared to other industries. Not sure why that is but I suspect it’s because they become frustrated from dealing with tire-kickers.

Unless a dealer is exceptionally rude then I will typically give him/her the benefit of the doubt (maybe just having a terrible day) and a second chance.

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Nope.

macster likes this.
  11. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Not if there are less jerky choices.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Manufacturer? Would depend on who - in the chain of command - the jerk was.

Dealer? Assuming that we're talking about the owner of the store, not a chance.

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nope, but to be fair, I've probably been rude to snooty dealers.

Kyhl likes this.
  14. TMAN123

TMAN123 Well-Known Member

I’ve encountered a dealer who refused to get into a discussion on how speakers sounded. After my friend made repeated friendly attempts to discuss their sound signature (forward, laid back, etc.). The owner kept saying “they sound awesome/great” and other non sequitirs. It was almost as if he did not want to get into any such discussion.

We soon left.

It’s a shame really because his store has many acoustically treated listening rooms, but seems to be in search of whales IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Nope and this also applies to record shops. Theres a few places on my blacklist because they were assholes.

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Nope.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Not a chance. Never ever.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The old Lyric Hi Fi in Manhattan had salesmen that were so rude I stopped going there. However the staff at the store in White Plains were nicer, therefore I would occasionally shop at the White Plains location.

Rudeness from owners or staff will put me off quickly.

Dave likes this.
  19. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Nope, no, never...no matter how bad I want whatever they were selling

20. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Nah.
    Last time I'd experienced this I had speakers on my mind. Walked in to a dealer that I hadn't been in before when passing after some shopping with my SO.
    Wasn't dressed up, jeans n' t-shirt and open to anything up to £3k and saw some nice Monitor Audio Gold series floorstanders at over £3k-ish that looked like they were already hooked up to a system.

Place was empty and said hi to the only guy there and explained my interest in those speakers and asked if we could have a quick listen as they were. This was met with a blunt response that I'd have to book an appointment for a demo, he said this with a look as if he didn't have time or more likely I wasn't worth his time, like he'd pre-judged my ability to afford them. No wonder the place was empty.
    I just thanked him and never went back, demoed several speakers at a competing dealer who were really accommodating and I spent around £2.5k on speakers and accessories with them and have continued to buy more components from them since.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  21. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words. Bad experiences with dealers is one of the primary reasons I got into the business. It's inexcusable (and far too common in my experience).

Kyhl, Rolltide, SteveFord and 2 others like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Heck yes- depending on cost and availability. I'm not in the business of behavior modification. Recent example- saved 25% off retail on something they had in stock vs. a 10% discount and waiting 6 weeks at the other dealer.

23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep....sometimes you have to make your purchase in spite of the dealer.....if i want something it seems foolish to let someone with a bad attitude stop me from having it :realmad:

Shoes1916 and avanti1960 like this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

exactly. why cut off your nose to spite your face or something like that.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  25. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Understandable if there isnt another option/ different dealer. Unfortunate that it happens to customers

Glmoneydawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.