Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

With you one hundred percent. Che I can kind of see, even if he’s not my style, but I don’t understand with all the talent Lorne has how on earth Colin has made it this far.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Because he is a very good comedy writer?

3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I liked it. But as is typical for SNL, they're a bit late to the party on that one. The time for riffing on "The Christmas Shoes" was like 5 or 10 years ago or whatever (I can't even remember when that came out). That song was almost instantly derided for being so overly sappy. My local Christmas station here (93.3), which I tune into every year seems to have completely dropped it this year, when in years past it was definitely played several times a day. (They also dropped "Same Old Lang Syne" as well, maybe a conscious decision to cut out the really sad xmas songs since, well...to try to keep things merrier.)

Also, ugh, Tina Fey again... seriously? Che should've got weekend update solo.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Tom Hanks and Bruce Springsteen are starting to look exactly the same.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Omitting "I wish Christmas was Today" from the clip show might as close as SNL gets to commenting on the Horatio SanZ meeToo stuff. HS did appear briefly in an old clip 2 nights ago as Andrea Bocelli but was hard to recognize.

I wish we got Update desk "Joke Swap" in some capacity on the final show of SNL. Maybe we get one twice as long in May.

kouzie and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

because that wasn't HS its bobby moynihan

krock2009, kouzie and Dan C like this.
  7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

They aired "I Wish It Was Christmas Today" in the primetime rerun of the Lucy Liu episode just last week.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Peacock’s streaming SNL channel has been running the different performances of “I Wish It Was Christmas Today” (there were at least two) pretty frequently in the last two weeks, so I wouldn’t say they’re hiding it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    krock2009, Dan C and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Same hair plugs.

krock2009 and poe_man like this.
  12. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Agree that was a pretty meh parody of "Christmas Shoes". The song was released 20 years ago and that was the best they could come up with?

The Patton Oswalt commentary is 10x funnier:

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Don't know what NBC's numbers are for what they make on SNL, to justify its existence, but Lorne reportedly makes $30 million a year. You would think they could fill his shoes with another producer (or group of other producers) who are at least not as expensive for the budget.

SNL does fill a time slot that would otherwise have no new programming to attract viewers, but I think it works because people tune in for SNL (not just getting people who happen to be channel surfing at 11:30pm on a Saturday night). That requires a producer who can create some level of magic to bring viewers in.

I could see NBC making a go at SNL for a year or two after Lorne leaves, and pulling the plug if it's not working out. How well next year's season goes could affect that -- like if Loren leaves with a cast and writers who are really working out well next season, or leaving on a down season for someone to have to do a gut renovation of the cast and writers.

Open question what will happen with the other shows that Lorne also produces for NBC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed, but most writers don’t perform too. I guess if Colin said it was my writning and performing or I’m walking it would make sense, though it’s likely a safe assumption Michaels would show him where the exit door is.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

So is Jean Doumanian...

kouzie and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I forget I have that video as a YouTube favorite. I never laughed harder at anything on this plant. Thanks for posting. I feel much healthier.

"You're not getting into heaven wearing those pumps
    !" PRICELESS! LOL!

Mosep likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Why couldn’t there be? I saw that CBS This Morning interview, and, in it, he hinted at having a successor already chosen. Maybe that’s why Kenan is still hanging around. But the show is an institution that will probably survive as long as NBC is still some sort of network. Some fresh blood might even do it some good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Does anyone really think without Lorne Michaels the show will suffer? I mean it's been said he rarely laughed auditioning new SNL cast members. Maybe he's just lost his touch picking really funny cast members. I'm still puzzled in what Lorne saw in Beck Bennett that indicated he was funny enough for SNL.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes.

24. Marry a Carrot

25. Marry a Carrot