Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

might be. mine came on a pad as thick as the dots. they also had two parts, a ring and a center dot. how compressible do they seem?

Art K likes this.
  2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

pretty stiff., barely compress when pinched

3/8" Diameter
    1/8" thick

3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Same with mine. The Herbie’s Big Dots outperformed them with every speaker and on every stand I’ve owned for years.

Ro-Go likes this.
  4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

This is interesting, the ones I got with my KEF stands were gel, very compressible and sticky. In place on the stands with the speakers on them the speakers don't move.

5. avanti1960

definitely worth a shot.

Ingenieur likes this.
  6. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

My friend might loan me his Pass X150.8 to try with the 30.2 xd, I just need to pay for shipping. Anybody heard or is a fan of these speakers with the class AB Pass stuff? (Avanti I know you like the combo with your XA25). I really should move to separates eventually but I am a bit nervous about losing some of the low end punch I'm enjoying with the Hegel at the moment.

7. avanti1960

worth a try for sure. pass amps are more powerful than their specs would indicate. also despite what happens at audio shows between Harbeth and Hegel the Hegel integrateds do sound punchy by emphasizing midbass but miss out on best in class midrange realism and detail to my ears.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

Question about SuperHL5’s vs other models in regards to room size:

my room is 13’ deep by 37’ wide, with left speaker being about 10’ from left wall and right speaker 18’ from right wall. Front of speakers to my head is about 10’. Front of speaker to the wall behind is about 2’8”.

I always hear about certain models needing certain amounts of space, and I’ve also read about the HL5’s working in relatively small rooms. Do they sound workable in my room or am I better off with a 30 or Compact? I have a small REL to help out.

9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

My room is 14 x 34 and the SHL5 and I have them on the short wall. 3.5' S 7' S 3.5'
    imo they sound great. I also have a REL 9Ti.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Glmoneydawg and james like this.
  10. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Your room should be fine for shl5

james likes this.
  11. james

james Summon The Queen

Cool thanks! I already have the appropriate Skylan stands for my Snells. Makes it easier

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  12. Glmoneydawg

Great stands...been contemplating them myself:)

james likes this.
  13. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

I'm curious, are these speakers completely manufactured in the UK? I saw a rumor that their cabinets are made in china, but I simply do not believe this. I was under the impression that Spendor makes their cabinets for them.

14. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

Yes Spendor makes their cabinets. Woofers are made in house, tweeters are made by SEAS. Maybe some minor parts come from China but that’s it.

ispace and LPhound15 like this.
  15. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

Thx for the clarification.

Well in today's world it's probably safe to assume crossover caps and whatnot are imported.

timind likes this.
  16. avanti1960

Just found these very reasonable stands that appear to be good quality. Well suited to classic monitors and others and a variety of plate sizes and heights.
    They are sourced overseas and shipping can be ~ $100 but these stands cost between $50 to $150 a pair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow, GyroT, Morbius and 11 others like this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Gotta love the adjustability of those.

edit: link?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  18. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I have little doubt that the combination would sound superb. However, keep in mind that Alan Shaw will ridicule you privately for having opted for an amp that produces audible distortion. :D

PoetryOnPlastic likes this.
  19. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Stinky Linky?
    :agree:

20. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Those stands have solid top plates. It's my understanding that best results come from stands that support Harbeths around the edges, allowing the bottom of the speakers to vibrate as freely as the other cabinet panels. Am I correct in this? Is this putting too fine a point on it?

ispace and MonkeyMan like this.
  21. avanti1960

I have used Skylan stands for Harbeths that have a solid top plate with excellent results. The key is to use the correct material for the isolation dots / bumpers.

this_machine, Glmoneydawg and Art K like this.
  22. avanti1960

aliexpress. all kinds of things on that site and may require some digging.

timind likes this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Open stands or stands with a top plate....pretty much all of them isolate the speaker from the stand with little silicone/rubber bumpers....makes them all "open"

bruce2 likes this.
  24. avanti1960

FYI found a picture of these Harbeth M40.2 Clones on the AE site. Can't find them listed but they are out there... Some comparable clones are ~ 10% of the real deal.

[​IMG]

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  25. Glmoneydawg

10% of the performance too??...i feel like Harbeth is on to something with their proprietary mid/woofer material....maybe order drivers from Harbeth and swap them in for a real bargain;)