The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

A VERY Merry Christmas to all my kinky friends here.
    Thanks for making this a special and informative thread. Thanks for allowing variance of opinion with no caustic rebukes. It means a lot.

This has nothing to do with the Kinks, but it is a cool Christmas song, and most of you probably haven't heard it.
    Australia Crawl doing the classic Elvis track Santa Claus is Back In Town.

2. mark winstanley

For the record, I have next week off, so I may not be posting at 4am :)

3. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Curve ball? Did you mean googly?

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

(But the odds are pretty good that you will!)

The late man and mark winstanley like this.
  6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Damn, sorry. I’m a disgrace to this thread! Hope you can all forgive me in the spirit of the season.

7. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Yep, was an absolute joke back then with the three-day week and all those industrial strikes. There are a few tracks on these albums, particularly the next one, which were very relevant to those times.

A great book by the way. I would recommend his 'One Summer 1927'. Tells us what was happening in the US that year.

8. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

'Goodbye Cruel Concept' was the Melody Maker headline for the review of their first Arista album.

9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

As usual, I have woken up a couple of hours earlier than the rest of the family, giving me time to catch up on the usual 2-3 pages of this thread I missed while sleeping. It's Christmas Day here now, so Merry Christmas everyone, and I guess we'll still be doing this next Christmas - I look forward to it!

10. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Your 4 am in not my 4 am!!

11. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Yeah, merry Christmas to you too. I've just been watching a clip featuring the wonderful Les Patterson where he talks about Tasmania. Hilarious!

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, full employment, plenty of housing to go round, hardly anyone begging or having to sleep on the streets
    England are still collapsing, so nothing's changed there.

13. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

You're fishing and I'm not biting :edthumbs:

DISKOJOE and croquetlawns like this.
  14. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Normally I would, but I feel you need to be sufficiently chastened lest you begin deleting the u that God intended to be inserted between o and r.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Fischman, DISKOJOE and ajsmith like this.
  15. mark winstanley

It's the patented Warne flipper

DISKOJOE likes this.
  16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:D "Eli's Coming, Hide Your Heart Girls..." The bridge (at 1:18) reminds me a little of The Turtles' "Rugs Of Woods And Flowers," mainly in the delivery.

17. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Here Comes Flash"'

I never even put together that this has some similarities to "Paranoid". I love both songs, but the surf/spy guitar part gives this song a different feel. Dave's vocal is mixed a bit too high, but other than that I love the groove of this song. The Elliot Smith cover was a surprise. He makes it sound like this would have been a good cover for The Cramps. "Flash flash flash flash"! They sound like they are having a blast. I would have thought Dave would have had a hand in writing this tune, but there is no credit to him. I'd be curious to know what he has to say about this song.

Have a fantastic holiday everyone!

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

No chance, I can assure you! Not when my favourite music tv show is ‘Colour’ Me Pop.

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

What does it mean?

20. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Here Comes Flash

Not my favourite, but a great song still. I only clicked with the long guitar riff these last weeks. It's excellent. Note that it's also re-used at the end of "Second-Hand Car Spiv", before "Flash's Confession".

I must say I never noticed how awful the sound was until it was stressed in this thread. I realize now that I felt something was wrong, without it reaching awareness level.

Merry Christmas, or Light Festival, or whatever Holiday to everybody!

Thanks a lot Avid @DISKOJOE, whose ever bright mood is so refreshing and whose informed analyses are so enlightening. I'm glad I end up in Camus's skin, but I'm sorry for Avid @Fortuleo being Sartre, I'm sure he's much better looking.

(I noticed you didn't quote the Cleaners' Julie Profumo when the subject of the scandal was raised. I almost did it but I was lazy).

21. mark winstanley

Well "up the duff" was slang for being pregnant.... so the mind boggles...

Smiler and DISKOJOE like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Merry Christmas mate

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Cheers mate
    Merry Christmas!

DISKOJOE likes this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Dictionary.com says (for “duff you up “)
    tr, adverb) British slang to beat or thrash (a person) severely.

25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident