What's your normal listening volume

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Dunno, but the last time my wife stuck her head in my music room I had I Am The Walrus from LOVE going in 5.1 and she described the volume as "disgusting". :D

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

The threshold of police.:D

4. Why?

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

No meter, but for Rock- I do love it loud + rude ( the way it is meant to be played)!
    For everything else- moderate levels.

6. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Nah, that must have been that she sensed the walrus. Nothing to do with the voume. :D ;)

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I have 2 built in on either side of my head.

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You might be surprised how off they are compared to a meter. Everyone are so concerned with hiss,master tapes,mastering person and so on but heck,i'll just set up my speakers by ear. Seerms odd to me but i've been called that plenty.:D

Robert C likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm extremely scientifc about it: guided by the advice on the old Westminster LP jackets, I play my music at "Full Room Volume."

Although I'll confess that I once set my gear to play back John Cage's 4'33" at 105 dB. ;)

10. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

The silence must have been deafening :laugh:

11. So if I use a SPL meter to get a number on my system loudness, then what?

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I have four eyes, but I never met a man with four ears!

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I like what full room volume means in that context, and I think Cage would've liked it too

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know, I went to edit it and it was too late. I meant one on either side of my head!:shh:

15. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

75-85db for me too!

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Well if your right is set at 75db and your left is 82db,do you suppose that is a good thing? I'm just asking. BTW,some of us have 5 to set.

17. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey, according to some here that's the best anatomy for listening to quad. :D ;)

18. One could not hear this with a mono source?

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

10 when playing cds. 12 when playing vinyl.

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That too.

:evil:

21. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I dont know if this makes much sense to anyone, but on the 3 systems I have owned in my life, the volume dial on my amp is at half way when I want to have a nice listen. :)

22. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

At the moment, the yamaha reciever in my lounge says -13db, Im listening to the Pearl Jam live at the Gorge box set, the sound is great :), if anyone is a fan of this band make sure you pick this up..... I have been increasing the volume steadily over the last hour or so :)

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have no idea.... but I never listen very loudly (constant loudness bothers me) and right now I'm turning it down to see where I start to loose the detail. Or when the sounds of the furnace become too noticeable (as winter will be setting in pretty soon.... :sigh: )

I guess what I should say is "It's loud enough that when the W. comes into the room to talk, I can see her lips move but I can't hear her." And, yes, that has happened. :D

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Not very loud. I live in an apartment, and have neighbors. I might play it louder if that weren't a concern, but not much louder. I also have constant tinnitus and frequent migraines, both of which preclude listening to anything at a loud volume.

25. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

“Ears”, in other words, “hearing”, I think yes. But NOT due to the equal-loudness contours, whose shape in the “resolving” frequency area (above 700 Hz), gives to understand that as the sound pressure level increases or decreases within normal listening levels, the subjective amount of these frequencies is practically not affected.
    But, in my opinion, due to a stronger impact on your attention and a better signal-to-noise ratio in the mediums and the highs.
    Those who wish to use the “equal-loudness contours”, should certainly base themselves on them, BUT NOT on the Fletcher-Munson's version (1931), very importantly corrected since then, and in particular by the diagram presented in fact on your link: version ISO 2003! Curiously, the Fletcher-Munson's version (1931), importantly corrected as early as in 1956 (Robinson-Dadson) is found in many publications much later.
    A very illustrative article, with a collection of five useful links on the history of the research at the foot of the page (for those who are interested in), is presented in:
    http://www.lindos.co.uk/cgi-bin/FlexiData.cgi?SOURCE=Articles&VIEW=full&id=17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.