SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Personally,I’d rather have a title on SACD than on Vinyl.For the same price you still could have pressing issues with the vinyl.Plus if the SACD is dual layer you still can play the cd later in the car.Better value IMHO.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Me too. Plus, thanks to the CD layer it's easier to rip into iTunes or Music or whatever Apple calls it now, so I can enjoy it in the car and walking to work...if I ever end up working out of the office again.

ggjjr, ispace, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

As of this post, there are 14,199 SACD releases listed at hraudio.net. Based on other sources and websites, the total number of SACD release have exceeded the 15,000 mark.

As for this year, total number SACD releases worldwide will exceed 550 titles....but not sure if it will exceed the 600 SACD titles released in 2020.

Next update will come in early January 2022.

4. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

THIS!

minus the playing in car part…. Cringe…

rip a cd-r. Why risk scratching ur premium disc? Even the most common SACD is rarer than 99 percent of cds or LPs. Ponder that one, but its true.

Classicrock, siebrand, ispace and 3 others like this.
  5. You said it all.

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Or rip both layers to a hard drive and put the disc away. Copy whatever version works in your car to a cd-r or USB stick.

olschl and ispace like this.
  7. dachada

dachada Senior Member

OOP SACD are going up with their second hand value lately . I was checking my collection and I have only 33 titles . the total Max value of them in Discogs is $4300. that is a $130 average cost for each. they are in the same the average value of the mono Beatles vinyl reissues.
    EDIT: My SACD are mostly Japan made rock titles. i think the OOP jazz SACD are getting more expensive

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    ultron9, ispace, layman and 2 others like this.
  8. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The SACD I want the most is supposedly worth more than $400. Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever. I really wish I could download the DSD files if there isn't going to be a repressing. Or a downloadable ISO.

I wonder if any of my titles are highly valuable. For that matter, what titles are most valuable? Is there a way to do a sort on Discogs?

Isaac McHelicopter and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I know that Black Sabbath SACDs are going for crazy amounts of $. Some of them for up to 500$ per disc. I should stop dreaming about a reissue of those...

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. I'd be happy to sell my in mint condition Heaven & Hell Japanese SACD for a fair price.

dachada likes this.
  11. Just because someone listed one on Discogs or Amazon for $500 doesn’t mean that’s what they’re actually going for (average prices/recent sales are nowhere near according to Discogs) and certainly not indicative of what it’s worth.

formu_la, ispace and scobb like this.
  12. dachada

dachada Senior Member

I like better the SHMCD. The Japanese original vinyl is much better than the SACD, i guest the Japan tape has been used a lot due to the different lp/cd reissues done in Japan

13. I want Aerosmith Rocks SACD and willing to pay but alas it’s never up for sale since a couple changed hands about a decade ago.

14. originalsnuffy

Is Toys in the Attic rare? I think I have that somewhere.

15. No, not really. Plenty available at decent price points.

originalsnuffy likes this.
  16. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm curious. Where are these decently priced discs available?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was also looking for the Romantic Warrior SACD for awhile but never found one at a sane price. Then I read up a bit on the SACD and some of the comments were that the SQ wasn't that great. Not sure if that's true but I'm definitely not paying good money for an SACD that doesn't sound any better than the CD.

18. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I've been after this one for a long time too, but if there are doubts about its sound quality, then I'm not so bothered.
    Bill - can you remember where you found the info?
    I have the CD, a decent copy of the LP and an excellent 24/96 vinyl rip, so perhaps that will do.

originalsnuffy likes this.
  19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I was looking for this one for years, and listed it in WTB section here. No luck. Probably one of the most difficult to find SACDs ever. I read that the SQ is great, but I don't really know.
    At this point I gave up. The CD of it sounds fantastic. I also have a needle drop from Japanese LP, which is even better.
    Another sacd that I never got is 'Black Market' by 'Weather Report '. Some crazy prices there as well, but at least it shows in listings sometimes.

20. originalsnuffy

This is a complicated one. There is one forum member here who has the SACD and he has stated that it is quite good. There is a remaster of the complete album from a retrospective collection from about 13 years ago that I like. But the forum member I mentioned said the SACD was better. It is not entirely clear, but the current Japanese Blu-Spec might be sourced from the SACD transfer.

I really wish somebody here could locate this and rip it. Alas, the person who does have it has no ability to rip it and is uncomfortable loaning it out. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could but alas it is not to be found at a price less than a new Lexus. I also would be happy to buy a digital DSD version if that was offered for sale.

Hey Sony / Columbia reissue this please!

ispace and Isaac McHelicopter like this.
  21. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

I wish your avatar was on SACD ;)

22. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I recently got this & was disappointed. I prefer the red bordered "Digitally remastered" CD 4682102 which allows the music to be presented as a coherent whole rather than be pulled apart into its constituent parts.

ti-triodes and formu_la like this.
  23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I don't know a lot about SACDs, and I'm not a big rock fan these days (especially of the prog variety), but I wouldn't mind having a quality SACD of ELP's first album. I was surprised there wasn't one when I went looking a couple days ago.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the Audio Fidelity SACD of:
    Donovan
    The Searchers
    are amazing!

Shvartze Shabbos and Jarleboy like this.
  25. originalsnuffy

There are good multi-channels of a few ELP albums mastered by Steven Wilson. He did a couple then stopped. I do not think he really dug ELP so stopped after a bit.

There is of course a stereo hi res on the disc also. Its been a while since I played my copy but I think the underlying technology is DVD audio. No, its not SACD but it sounds good.

Lately I shy away from feeding the silver discs into my Oppo. I generally only play SACD rips on my portable Digital audio players. For the home stereo I generally feed the ISO files into Jriver which converts them into hi res PCM. Yes, I lose small portion of the goodness of SACD with that but its really convenient.

There are a few ways to convert the SACD files to DSF. In turn, that can be processed natively by my receiver, as long as I turn off the Audyssey processing. I do that every so often.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    misterjones and Jarleboy like this.