Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

They sit on the corners of the stand between the stands and the speakers. They mush down to almost nothing and you can’t see them. I would recommend them.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

right at the edge of the corners? Or a little farther in? Maybe over one of the screws?

3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I would put them not too far in the corner because of the screw holes in the stands. Mine are about 1 cm from and between the screw holes. That way you don't see them and it looks like the speakers are floating above the stands.

PS: This has nothing to do with the stands, but because your speakers are new, be sure to check if the screws of the drivers are tightened. If they are not, it can affect the sound, like it did in my case.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

5. Swordsandchains

Because of the holidays, ive only had time to push 3 record through em which was last night, but so far so good, no complaints here!

Toneh likes this.
  6. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Interesting post/reaction from the Andrew Robinson review:

"I have been building and measuring speakers for the past 5 years. From my in room measurements, Linton outperformed many speakers. From 300hz to 10khz, it is almost flat with around +/-2 dB. Not many speakers can pull this off. However below the transition frequency (250hz), the room essentially took over and that could induce some peaks and nulls. This, I think is the main issue with this speaker. The +5db in this region could easily excite the room and to a certain extent muddy the lower mid. This is where you need to play around with positioning, room acoustics or even tame the bass down slightly using a PEQ/ room EQ. Once you get that sorted, this speaker is going to beat a lot of other more expensive competitions out there. KLH on the other hand has a significant dip between 1 to 2khz... From psychoacoustics point of view, we are most sensitive to the 1khz to 3khz region, as this is where most audible speech syllables reside. So any imperfections here could easily be picked out. A dip would therefore make the vocal sound thin and unnatural. The other problem is the lack of bass for the KLH. No problem if you partner KLH with a sub, but if you intended this as a pure 2 channel listening then, I would rather take on the Linton. Taming bass down is easier with room EQ but boosting them up would create more potential distortions. That's my bass management philosophy; hence Linton is a big win for me." - Kevin Cheong

It's interesting because it's another measurement guy who is surprised by the Linton's linear frequency response (as opposed to GR Research).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    mreeter, tyler928 and Toneh like this.
  7. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Anyone tried felt or wool to reduce baffle diffraction? I've used two layers of thick wool sock and self adhesive felt pad underneath. It's not the prettiest result but it works. Better imaging and transients.

Would be better to have something like this, but I think it's a similar philosophy when we consider shape of Lintons grill cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Tim 2 likes this.
  8. Swordsandchains

I think anyone who needs a sub with these is crazy

Mark Fritcher, Toneh and Art K like this.
  9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Call me crazy if you like, but in my room the REL T/5i works perfect with the Lintons. It adds depth and imaging to the soundstage.

10. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

How far are they from the wall?

11. Swordsandchains

ports are probably around 3 feet away

12. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Ah, okay, that's more than far enough. I thought I asked because I've noticed that a surprisingly amount of people put their Lintons almost all the way up against the wall because they simply don't have the space. I think the bass of the Lintons is pretty tight, never dominant, or bass heavy. I remember being surprised with how low they can get during Ridley Scott's The Last Duel. Most music (unless you happen to be an electronic music fan) doesn't have that much sub bass, so it's usually during a movie that I really hear deep subs.

Subwoofers are for home entertainment enthusiasts!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Toneh likes this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I’m sure the Lintons have decent bass, as do my current speakers, to 50 or maybe even 40Hz. But I agree that adding a sub has improved many things besides low bass in my system.

I also just like the fact that my in room response is flat to 20Hz. :D

Toneh and Joshua Tree like this.
  14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

:laughup: Yeah, right. :laughup:

bluemooze and James Bennett like this.
  15. IME, with any speakers, especially those with a large woofer, the need for a sub is entirely dependent on a few factors:

1) Amp pairing
    2) Room
    3) Music preferences

The first two being of significantly more importance.

16. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Here's a very recent example of someone who puts his Lintons right up against the wall. The only thing that separates them are the plinths. To be honest, I never even tried this so maybe it doesn't matter?

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

My Linton’s are closer to the wall than I thought I could realistically get away with. I only have 400mm/15.7” clear between the rear baffles and wall and 1100mm/3.6 feet clear to the side walls. According to UK mag “HiFi World” who measured the port output, they’re tuned to a quite low 38Hz where presumably there wouldn’t be much energy coming out of them anyway? Of course that isn’t the only variable that would influence close-to-wall performance but worth noting.

And while I recognise that trying to pin down personal taste or tolerance in a meaningfully comparable way is akin to asking the rhetorical question - “how long is a piece of string?” - for what it’s worth, I have an extremely low tolerance for fat, slow, inarticulate bass. Ditto for any hint of boominess. And thankfully - given how much I like what these speakers do - they don’t commit any of these “cardinal sins” in my room. But every room has its own unique acoustic and mine are in a roomy enough (31.5 m2/340 sq foot) open plan space, so presumably accumulated acoustic energy can more easily dissipate?

I would concur with @AC1 comments… bass is pretty nimble and tuneful and with a convincing enough sense of weight and (feel it in your chest) punch for me to not miss a subwoofer. That doesn’t mean I haven’t occasionally missed the frequency extension a sub can afford, but in terms of feeling there’s enough bass on offer to constitute a credible sense of full range reproduction… I’d say there is.

That said @Rick58 - I agree... a good sub adds more than just the lowest bass your speakers can't reproduce. Back in the days, the first time I properly dialed a sub in I distinctly remember small but valuable improvements to the retrieval of subtle spatial cues that further improved the soundstage illusion. If the recording is good enough to have captured these in the first place of course.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    AC1 and Rick58 like this.
  18. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

These guys claim the Lintons sound so imperfect, so coloured and 1970s that it's fun! I guess that's why they do Classical and Jazz so exceptionally well but Genesis only so-so. It's clear that they take Danny's measurements as gospel. Yes, it's true that the Lintons don't want to impress the listener with super treble detail (which is a modern trend) but that doesn't mean it's a vintage, inaccurate and coloured sound. Grrrr!

Joshua Tree and Toneh like this.
  19. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Hahaha... Ok, watched it. I didn't mind their review, they seem like nice guys and I particularly agreed with how they picked up on the speakers ability to pressurize a room - one of my favourite things about them.
    But honestly... the next time I hear someone describe these speakers as warm... and always with the talk of over-prominent bass :mad:

Warm implies that they add warmth to everything they play. They don't.
    Perhaps it's the way I've partnered them or maybe it's my room... who knows. But I hear them as neutral... play a warm recording and you'll get warmth. A clinical or bright recording... well, you'll hear that too. And so on...

I think this perception of warmth is the result of several decades worth of our ears being attuned to the sound of narrow baffle, small driver speaker designs. Presented with a sound with some meat on it's bones I suppose the lazy mental response is "warm". But that's simply not and accurate description IMO.

ChrisR2060 and AC1 like this.
  20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

That's my favorite aspect of the Lintons. They sound like different speakers with each and every recording. To me that implies that they don't have much of a personality or signature of their own. I've never before had speakers that did that. All my previous speakers added their own flavour to the music, usually with the intend to beautify. That meant that Carpenters sounded like they could have been recorded yesterday. Every Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66 album sounded more or less as if they were recorded on the same day in the same studio. It's truly fascinating to hear that all their albums of the '60s actually sound very different. But the thing that surprises me the most is how good and natural classical music sounds on the Wharfedales. That's the moment that I'm prepared to take on any battle with Harbeth speakers costing 4 times as much. Just listen to this on the Lintons:

[​IMG]

PS: I think I understand why people describe them as "warm". It's probably because of their English pedigree which is more 'reserved' as opposed to a more forward and lively sound (which is most likely the way KLH Model 5 sounds).

Toneh likes this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Honestly never had any speaker that sounds best tight against a wall, even small 'bookshelves'. They need at least 6 to 9 inches. usually more. That rear port does need at least some space to work properly.

Robert C and nosliw like this.
  22. NNNZZZ

NNNZZZ Member

Bumping this thread. I've been testing the Lintons with the Yamaha A-S801. Anyone else think the amp feels a little thin for these speakers? For my ears, I'd like to have something a bit more muscular to balance out the more mellow aspects of the Lintons. Curious if anyone here moved on from the 801 to something that paired better? Or if they settled on the 801. Note, I have about 50-75 hours on the amp so far.

23. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I have the same combination. I happen to consider them a damn near ideal combo for reasons I'll be happy to explain.

But first - could you explain what you mean by "I'd like to have something a bit more muscular to balance out the more mellow aspects of the Lintons." Use as many descriptors as you like, I have a high tolerance for taking the time to try and understand the details :)

I note less than 75 hours on the amp... how about the speakers? How many hours on those?

Also - please fill out the rest of your gear profile including cabling, source components and also source material... CD? streaming? TIDAL? Spotify?) and what style of music do you mostly listen to? Also please describe room size and treatment (lots of hard surfaces? Carpeted, large rugs or hard floors? Curtains? Bare walls? Lots of soft furnishings?etc...) and speaker placement too (how far from walls - back and sides, are they on the matching stands?)... all of these will help in providing more accurate feedback because ALL of these factors will have their impacts :righton:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  24. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

This is a great music recommendation. Thanks for sharing.
    Exactly the sort of material that I believe shows the Linton's at their very best. Wow... those low organ notes... incredible. As I said upthread... the Linton's doing a very credible job of creating an impression of full range reproduction.

I'm just listen to an album called "Let Go (Instrumentals)" by Tytingvag Ensemble... it's probably music most people would find a bit odd... but I am an odd guy :laugh:

Listening to music like this I almost feel sometimes that the Linton's themselves are a musical instrument... resonant, harmonic and "alive" as these sounds come into the room.

AC1 likes this.
  25. NNNZZZ

NNNZZZ Member

-The room has a large rug and 2 medium sofas. All the windows are covered in softer roller blinds.
    -Ive been playing with the speaker placement a little. I currently have them on either side of a non working fireplace about a foot out from the wall. The speakers are about 6 ft apart and on either side of them is about 8ft to the shorter walls. The fireplace didn't seem to have any effect on the sound as the speakers are far enough away from it. This area is the longer wall of the room. Ideally, I would have them at either end of the room, further out from the walls (I've read a fair about how the Lintons like more space but don't have that solution yet). The ends of the room have sofas facing each other, so putting the speakers on either end would mean the woofers would be semi blocked by a sofa back.
    -I had the speakers further apart and more toed in then found they sounded more forward when they were closer together and less toed in.
    Thanks in advance for your input!