Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ella_swings

ella_swings Forum Resident

Watching Loren's series and they cover China Boy. Toward the end they play the "Story" version which led me to get it off the shelf. I find it odd that there never was a true stereo version released. My mono black and silver label Decca sounds better than any of the subsequent rainbow or MCA rainbow releases. All the Decca versions are "enhanced for" or "simulated" stereo, which we very well know here means mono original + reverb. I find it odd because surely in 1954-55 when the movie was shot they were recording in stereo for the film, no? If so, why no true stereo version? Years later we got Sun Valley Serenade and Orchestra Wives in true stereo on a Viper's Nest CD and it was filmed a decade earlier.

2. Discog Dave

Discog Dave Well-Known Member

Apparently, no.

That despite the same studio's earlier "Glenn Miller Story" getting the stereo soundtrack treatment.
    (The decade + earlier 20th Century Fox films with the real GMO are another matter.)

One of my long-running bits of research was trying to find a true stereo source for the "BG Story" soundtrack numbers. Frankly, the music wasn't inspiring enough to me to track down the original-issue mono LPs - may yet get around to that - but a 1970s copy and various original promo issues are on file here.

My last resort and hope was the pair of open-reel "Decca Stereotape" releases. Russ Connor had a set, but at the time we corresponded, his hearing was compromised.
    Eventually I found one, then the other - and they are reprocessed mono. Too bad.

3. ella_swings

Amazing. But even were there a true stereo version, the music would have to be inspiring, which I agree, it just ain't.

4. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

I believe the less than inspiring music is why Goodman re-did much of it for Capitol. Definitely, better. BG in Hi-Fi, is the best lp he ever did, in my opinion.

JazzcornerND and misterjones like this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Yes. That’s what his biographer said - i.e., why he re-made The Benny Goodman Story.

6. His other big band vinyls on Capitol arent bad either

7. ella_swings

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't listened to that in a while. To the Goodman shelf I go!

8. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

In the 1950's he only did 2 lps for Capitol. "The Benny Goodman Story" and "BG in Hi-Fi." "Hello Benny" was a big band lp from 1964. I do think the "BG in Hi-Fi" tops them all. The rhythm section is rock solid with Mel Powell, Geroge Duvivier, Steve Jordan, and Bobby Donaldson and there is the extra added attraction of Ruby Braff's trumpet. I know I've said it before but the "Jumping at the Woodside" is up there with one of the best big band recordings. The ride-out is big band perfection as the band seems to levitate.

9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I think some 10” LPs were issued by Capitol in the 1950s, like The Goodman Touch (which I have). Discogs indicates that was reissued as a 12” in 1956 with additional tracks.

10. ella_swings

If you mean recorded specifically for Capitol for LP, I think that's correct. Other vinyl released were compilations of Capitol recordings in the late 40s. And "Hello Benny" was in the 1960s as was "Made in Japan".

11. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Somewhat off topic but if you like the sound of the clarinet (I do) it's worth searching out the DCC Portrait of Pee Wee.

12. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yes, the majority of the compilation lps and 10 inches are small group recordings. He did some big band recordings, including the Bop band in the late 40s. “Made in Japan”is a 1964 small group.

13. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yes, Pee Wee Russell is awesome. Very different from BG! Yes, that’s a good album.

rmath84 likes this.
  14. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Hi,
    Episode 4 of the BG small group recordings is extra special. It features selections from the mostly unreleased 1936 March/April Trio session that John Hammond had. “Liza”, “I’m Coming Virginia” and one of the “ Squeeze Me” takes (didn’t even know there were 2). Melancholy Baby” (not played) is the only released track. It’s on a Phontastic 45 EP, which I still haven’t gotten my hands on nor have I heard! Also, there is a rare trio version of “I Would Do Anything for You” which leads into the Big Band! The episode ends with one of my all time favorite Gene Krupa performances, “Gene’s Blues” from the the Rich and Krupa 1950’s Clef lp. Wow, Krupa is so musical!

15. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Whoops, I should have checked Connor’s disco instead of Lord. There are 2 “Squeeze Me” listed.

ella_swings likes this.
  16. Beside the " Hi-Fi" LP here are some more on CAPITOL (all here):

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

German compilation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonathan and ella_swings like this.
  17. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

The "Hits of Benny Goodman" is a later reissue (may be abridged) of "BG in Hi -Fi." "The Benny Goodman Band" is a collection of 'Capitol 78s from 1944-1947 big band recordings. I have never seen the German Complication and I don't know what is on it. The other Big Band lp that Goodman recorded in the '50s as a 331/3 lp is this "Mr Benny Goodman 'The Benny Goodman Story'":

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    ella_swings likes this.
  18. "Swing Goes On" is a 10 LP series from Germany on the Electrola/EMI label.
    You can look up the series here which is a compilation from CAPITOL material
    Swing Goes On! Label | Releases | Discogs
    Have all 10 volumes

ella_swings likes this.
  19. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Ah, interesting compilations. Looks like the Goodman pulls mostly from “ Mr Benny Goodman’The Benny Goodman Story’” with some of the 1947 Big Band tracks thrown in. Unfortunately, some of those 47 tracks aren’t on cd, except for on the Claasics label, which has it’s problems!

ella_swings and JazzcornerND like this.
  20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

It’s funny what we deal with isn’t it. Original issues mostly sounding good, reissues in different formats a mixed bag.
    I’ve done it before with minidisc to cd, needle drops, and they sound JUST LIKE the original source. I just can’t understand how so many reissues, especially on cd, came out sounding like caca.
    Beave

ella_swings likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This tends to be true. When you have a good condition record (whatever speed), and do a simple needledrop to CDR on routine equipment, the CDR often sounds far better than most reissues (including some highly acclaimed reissues)

To me, that suggests that it is not digital that is the problem, but the mastering process in many reissues.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  22. Thanks for your Input.
    I prefer the vinyls but have also a mass of CD's. Its really the music I am interest on. The technical aspects are runner up. With growing age your hearing ability does the rest.
    ;-]]

ella_swings likes this.
  23. Europa Jazz (Italy) EJ-1031 - Benny Goodman Big Band [ live recordings] - rec. 1958

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ella_swings

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In many cases where a higher auction price is achieved, it only took two people that wanted to pay more than a routine price.

In other cases, especially when you might win an auction, you may realize that you are the only person that would pay that much for the item. Thus, is it worth that much? No, not to anyone else.