Bill Charlap Trio-Street Of Dreams

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Good Vibes, Nov 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident Thread Starter

I must admit, I was not familiar with this trio until I’ve recently seen some posts promoting his latest album pop up on my Instagram account.

So, I decided to take a listen to the new album on Tidal this morning and I am absolutely in love with it. What beautiful playing by these outstanding musicians on “Street Of Dreams.” It had me completely engaged from the first note on track 1 to the final note on track 8.

I can’t wait for the album to come out on vinyl in mid December. I also plan on investing in some of their earlier albums if they sound half as good as “Street Of Dreams.”

mschrist, Dignan2000, teag and 9 others like this.
  2. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Just picked up a Bill Charlap Trio CD "Somewhere: The Songs of Leonard Bernstein" for peanuts at an op shop (thrift store). Saw it was on Blue Note and at $3 was not complaining. It's a very easy listen - nice.

mschrist, scotti and Good Vibes like this.
  3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Street of Dreams is excellent. Always nice to hear a different take on Brubeck's "The Duke." Can't go wrong with anything Charlap.

teag, dale 88, scotti and 1 other person like this.
  4. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

Charlap accompanied Tony Bennett on The Silver Lining - The Songs of Jerome Kern in 2015. He also accompanied his mother singer Sandy Stewart on at least three albums Love Is Here to Stay, Sandy Stewart & Family and Something To Remember.

All are lovely.

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I could post Charlap clips all night long, but I'll just do one for now. Not his trio, but still seven of my favorite minutes of music ever:

teag, dale 88, scotti and 3 others like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I have a lot of Charlap CDs - dating back to his early leader stuff for the Criss Cross label and up through some of his Blue Notes. But my favorite is S’WONDERFUL, recorded for the Japanese label Venus. Cover art is a bit off-putting as for many titles on the Venus label but it is a fabulous trio recording. The opening track “Time After Time” is taken at an unusual but very effective tempo, so that you feel as if you are sleepwalking through a heavenly dream that you don’t ever want to end.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Going way off the reservation thread-wise (haha), but the S'Wonderful cover is pretty tame for Venus:

[​IMG]

Great album. Can't say he's made a bad one. Seemed like for awhile he was getting away from his trio with the Washingtons, but the new album and the two relatively recent ones (Uptown Downtown and Notes From New York) are top-notch.

Said I wasn't going to post more clips, but since I mentioned Uptown Downtown, this has to be the best version of "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" I've ever heard:

scotti, Good Vibes and DrJ like this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Ha ha right you are there are far more racy Venus cover shots

That IS a gorgeous “Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most” - though I must admit I’m partial to June Christy’s epic reading on THE SONG IS JUNE album (orchestra arranged by Pete Rugolo), my personal favorite.

Dignan2000, Planbee and Good Vibes like this.
  9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Christy's take is classic, no doubt. I guess I was thinking more of instrumental versions.

DrJ likes this.
  10. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I have the vinyl on pre-order...looking forward to it

11. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

This album is lovely like a sunday afternoon walk in autum, you feel happy whilst its happening and afterwards you appreciate the relaxed enjoyment you just had as you feel ready to enjoy the evening to come

the production and mastering of this album is top notch as i'm sure Bill wouldn't let anything slide and the team knew it

@scotti .. sorry i forgot where you asked me to give my thoughts

[​IMG]

James Shines, teag, Planbee and 2 others like this.
  12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I agree. I like listening to Charlap.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Did not realize there was a dedicated thread for this release. I agree with what you and others are saying about this record. I got the LP version and even though a digital step was used (sounds like it to my ears) the sound is most excellent. I love the use of Kenny Washington's brushes throughout. What a record to put on and just chill out to. My favorite new Jazz release of the year!

I mentioned this over on the Tone Poet thread, but thought its worth noting here as well. BN had Joe Harley proof the test pressing before it went to press.

Dignan2000, Good Vibes and Planbee like this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Previewed the new album on Spotify and ordered the vinyl right away. Very nice album.

Also, Amazon has a great price right now.

Dignan2000, Good Vibes and Planbee like this.
  15. jameswicks

jameswicks Active Member

Does Blue Note have a QC issue with this LP? I pre-ordered my vinyl copy, and it arrived in late December, but un-playable. It was a bad pressing. My stylus sounded like a snowplow all through side 1. I reached out to Blue Note. Due to the holidays, etc., the replacement copy just arrived today. And...??? This copy is visibly and deeply gouged all through the first track on side 1. Unplayable, again! I just sent another email to Blue Note requesting another replacement copy ...but this time, a clean, damaged-free copy.
    While waiting for this replacement copy to arrive a fellow a friend bought a copy from Amazon. And, surprisingly, it too was damaged in pressing with deep potholes throughout side 1.

This isn't the first Blue Note order I have an issue with. While I'd love to have a few moments with Don Was to discuss QC at Blue Note, I know that's not likely. Until my 2nd replacement shows up, I'll have to be content with streaming it.

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

I listened to my record received from Amazon and it is totally quiet on both sides.

This LP was cut by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling. Great sound.

James Shines likes this.
  17. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both my regular album and test pressing sound great with no surface issues with the vinyl.

teag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.