Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett on Disney+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Did you notice that Matt “Laslo Cravensworth/Jackie Daytona” Berry was the voice of 8D8?? I had that action figure when I was a kid! I hope Berry shows up elsewhere in these new Star Wars shows.

omikron and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Pretty certain I just saw an OmniBot placed there

[​IMG]

3. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I watched it last night. Average. It has the same aesthetics as Mando, which I'm not crazy about.

4. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

My god this was awful....What were/are they thinking with this ?? Looked cheap as hell and was stupid/boring as hell.

BrettyD and Smokin Chains like this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I liked it. They could've done without the CGI lizard-dog. Those things just never look "real" and end up being a distraction to the live characters.

6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

My son and I enjoyed the first episode of The Book of Boba Fett. I liked the various monsters and appreciated the "less than perfect" quality of the effects, which I believe was intentional (that sand monster looked and moved like a Ray Harryhausen creation and the Banthas seemed like the original 1977 film's costumed elephants). Boba's ret-conned escape from the Sarlacc Pit made sense - one figures he had at least another 995 or so years before being totally digested - as did not winding up as brunch proving to be a less-than-clean getaway and the least of his worries.

Of course, it's just one episode and things could go off the rails, but I've got some faith in Jon Favreau who - in my opinion - has proven to be a good steward of his corner of the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian was better than the last three officially canon Star Wars movies - again, my opinion - and at his best, Favreau melds his indie film instincts with unabashed fanboy love (come on, Werner Herzog as a Galactic Empire loyalist was inspired casting). My son and are looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season brings.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll check this out when I'm done with The Mandalorian.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This first episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez, but it still has a lot of hallmarks of the style Favreau (and Dave Filoni as showrunner) established with Mando. It appears Favreau is still involved as well, which I would agree with you is a great thing.

omikron and bostonscoots like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Watched Ep.1 last night. I love the look of it all but unfortunately the script and direction is as stale as Mandalorian.
    Being a SW nut, I'll still be watching the whole thing. Hope it improves.

Smokin Chains and omikron like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah, folks, if you weren't digging The Mandalorian, you're not going to be interested in this. This looks to be an even slower burn, really.

MarkO and omikron like this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Favreau wrote the first episode and is credited as the creator of the series.

omikron and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

What this series REALLY needs to pump some energy into this thing is Trade Federation negotiations and Galactic Senate debates.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I really wish they would create something new instead of trying to squeeze every last drop of mystery out of legacy characters (who are cool because they were a mystery and used sparingly originally).

It's like what's next - 'Greedo - The College Years'.

Anyway, I did give it a go. I really don't recognize the character at all. They are trying to make him into some anti-hero, which is not who he is. He's a cold blooded bounty hunter lacking in any morals.

The other thing that bothered me - the Hutts are a galaxy wide family of criminals. If Jabba was killed another Hutt would take his place.

14. omikron

Maybe a Hutt will show up in the series to do just that.

That is a good point but I'm not sure outside of the novels the Hutt structure has ever been told so viewers shouldn't technically know that.

DementedAvenger and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first episode, but I'm wondering why Boba Fett wants to be a crime lord? Seems like a huge hassle for a footloose bounty hunter. Also, it's hard for me to buy 2021 Temera Morrison as Boba directly after ROTJ. He's a big guy. Jeremy Bulloch was pretty slight. Just how long was he in the Sarlacc?

16. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

And what exactly was he eating?

Smokin Chains and Leviethan like this.
  17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

There’s a fair bit of Hutt clan-type stuff going on throughout The Clone Wars series.

18. omikron

So the impression I got and perhaps I missed some clues is that he was in the Saarlac for only a matter of hours, perhaps a day or so unconscious.

Meaning the backstory essentially starts off taking place during ROTJ in my mind.

Leviethan and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I feel it must have been days if not longer. The wreckage of Jabba's sail barge was not even smoldering when Boba pulled himself out.

omikron likes this.
  20. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

21. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

My all time favourite minor character is Lobot. Such a cool dude.

22. omikron

They could totally team up in the series. They've crossed paths before. Fett did say they needed a protocol droid. He could get Lobot and reprogram him.

Old buddies, haha.

[​IMG]

Danny Coffin and Wild Frank like this.
  23. omikron

Mando is the greatest western ever filmed since Eastwood's Unforgiven.

Darren Richardson and Leviethan like this.
  24. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I watched episode 1, I am interested in both stories being told but am not sure how much they will be able to progress them in brief 28 minute episodes. I would have liked to have seen more than the first episode first up.
    Felt a bit like the early seasons of Arrow in that respect. Hard to judge.
    I expect the backstory will get around to what motivates Boba wants to be a crime lord, and other changes in his personality.
    I liked the music and the visuals looked fine to me.
    And yes, if the Mandalorian was not your cup of tea I doubt this will do anything for you.

omikron, MrJerry1876 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

OK so it seems Episode 2 totals 51 minutes including probably about 5 mins credits, so looks like more space for the story to breathe this week..

BeatleJWOL likes this.