The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Well… as it happened, I'm afraid the English teacher did show us The Nutty Professor when I was in Junior High… :hide:

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I can see that.
    Personally I have never understood what the big deal was about the sons of Israel, but through what you say here I can see that it is definitely possible that Flash could be one.

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

A fine film adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Scum of the Earth

Yeah, this is one of those days where anything I might have said has already been said by our more astute avids.

I'll just add what is becoming a rather redundant personal observation at this point: that is that this is another song I really couldn't get into in my youth, but have come to appreciate now. That crazy theatre/dance hall mix is actually rather entertaining to me at this point.

Ironically, while this is a storytelling/character development piece, I tend to just get into the crazy flow of the music itself and worry less about the words.

6. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

W
    Naturellement. After all, everything that’s French isn’t Shakespeare, and everything that isn’t Shakespeare is French!

7. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I noticed recently that the same chord that ends Scum Of The Earth carries directly into the start of the next song (Second Hand Car Spiv), so there's a nice continuity between the two songs as Flash starts reflecting on his past in Second Hand Car Spiv. I think it ends up being minor, major, then minor again to start the next song, both songs in the same key I believe.

This song has grown on me over the last couple of weeks, I really like how it meanders through different styles, the theatrical "Stop the music!" moment - and the chorus and piano coming in in the doo-wop section is unexpected, genius, gets my foot tapping and body swaying from side to side, and is a lot of fun.

Starting with Shepherds of the Nation, we're in a stretch of 8 excellent and enjoyable songs right through Nothing Lasts Forever. Beyond that I'm counting on our Avids to help me embrace the final 3 songs!

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

There are so many different styles on this double LP, I swear that if it didn’t have the overarching concept, you could make a case for it as The Kinks ‘White Album’ ! #sorrynotsorry

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Scum of the Earth"

Really great posts today by everyone! There is so much going on in this song that I don't know what to say or where to begin. All of the parts are brilliantly put together. The musical styles touch on so many moods. "So don't put me down because I've done well." points to the full blown musical theater of Soap Opera. I mean where could Ray have went after this album? It completely makes sense that he continued in this musical vein. I can see why people may not have been on board for this album, but it's definitely not Ray's fault. Sounds to me like he is giving it all he has. There is no shortage of brilliant melodies and vocals on this album. This is another fantastic tune that is even more impressive after reading all the great insight this morning. Who said this album was gonna get raked over the coals? It seems like it's going pretty well so far!

Does anyone think this album would have done better if it was released as three acts? Maybe it was just too much to take in all at once? If you look at the track list and ended Act 2 at song #12, that would be quite a marvelous little album.

10. mark winstanley

, but with better writing :)

11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Really, Avid Fortuleo? Was he serious in showing you that movie or was it near the end of term time & he just wanted to goof off?

12. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

I think the better comparison would be a completed SMiLE by the Beach Boys in 1967? All of these musical styles/arrangements in Preservation Act 1 and 2 came from one songwriter (who also produced it!). The White Album was basically 2 solo LPs and 1 solo EP mashed together with a Ringo bonus track, and produced by someone not in the band. :tiphat:

13. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Much better.

14. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Scum Of The Earth
    Flash has realised his term of office is reaching its end as the people have turned against him. Clearly whining and full of self pity, oh 'woe is me'. Well, if you hadn't been corrupted by power, and actually were 'human, just like everybody else', perhaps you'd still have your place and power. Only after sympathy, and the people can see straight through you... Crocodile tears.
    Mr Flash, you must have been really corrupt and obscene for the people to switch their allegiance to Mr Black and his doo-gooders and their abhorrent views though. You'll probably get just what you deserve. As will the people no doubt...

I quite like the song, in all it's moving the story along sort of a way. Not one to listen to away from the album experience, but here, it's fine. :)

15. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Although it's slowed down quite a bit and given a shuffle rhythm, I can't help but notice the musical similarity between this and "Moscow Nights" (1956), which four years later was made into a hit by Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen titled "Midnight In Moscow."

Vladimir Troshin / Moscow Nights

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ah well y’see Ray in this era is so good he’s able to equal the diversity of the combined outputs of Lennon. McCartney and Harrison at their 1968 peaks. ‘Money Talks’ is the Ringo track as we’ve already established :nyah:

17. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Outstanding. Note that "Dr. Jerry & Mr. Love" was the – remarkable – french title.
    Dead serious ! It was because of the Stevenson connection, of course. But don't get us french film buffs started on Jerry Lewis. At least this one and The Ladies Man are absolute classics in my book. And I could spend the bulk of my evenings watching his Dean Martin duet films and TV shows. I often do…
    The headmaster is trolling ! And now @donstemple and @GarySteel too! Even @ajsmith! Should we report them all to the forum Staff ?
    Well, Kurt Weill's Threepenny Opera does have a Jewish feel, doesn't it ? At least it has a Jewish composer… I spent the last couple of hours looking for a good Kurt Weill comparison and I hit a double jackpot with this version of What Keeps Mankind Alive from the Threepenny Opera performed by… none other than the aforementioned Tom Waits ! Parts of the original melody did find their way almost note for note into Scum of the Earth ! Eureka!

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Whatever the teacher did, it worked. I’m still not convinced you’re not a native English speaker.

Why not! :D

19. palisantrancho

Nice find! Pretty close to your wish of Tom Waits doing a cover of "Scum of the Earth"!

20. palisantrancho

Ha ha. I almost got roped into that argument! I'll stay clear of that debate. :)

21. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Hey, man! Schoolboys in disgrace isn't up for quite a few weeks. Get with the program :D

22. mark winstanley

:eek::confused::realmad: :angel::winkgrin:

23. mark winstanley

You're a hard man Fortuleo :)

I love the White Album, and was being somewhat facetious.
    I think the albums are way too different to really compare....

As for writing, today and tomorrow's songs are stunning pieces of writing that stand up to or alongside anything, for me. Perhaps not pop single material, but ..... anyway, tomorrow is coming

24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I think I said earlier that this album makes me think of 1984 meets The Threepenny Opera. Mr. Black is kind of like Big Brother and Flash is kind of like Macheath. Ray is too sentimental to pull off Brecht and isn't really a deep enough thinker to manage either Orwell or Brecht. I suppose he deserves some credit for trying though, but I'm not even sure about that.

25. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Scum of the Earth
    I can't believe I'm going to say this...I LOVE this song!
    It is SO musical theater which would make me run screaming usually, but so well done. And so many parts to this crazy song.

I haven't read everyone's thoughts yet, but saw that @Fortuleo pointed out that sections of this are inspired/stolen from Merchant of Venice, which I would never have caught, so well done. The music in the beginning reminds me of a Looney Tunes cartoon of an opera...perhaps Barber of Seville? I got all my opera/classical musical from Bugs Bunny and friends.

But there's definitely a Jewish/Greek/New Orleans feel to the music. Then some 50s pastiche thrown in for good measure.

And the "stop the music" with the great theatrical echo. Perfection! It's the character trying to grab back some of his humanity by grabbing our attention.

Flash blames everyone but himself for his evils ways. the whole world is responsible for what he is
    They'd see a heart that once was pure
    Before it touched the evils of this world

This would be something I would play on its own if I was in a certain mood. There's another song coming up in an album or two where it is so not rock n roll and so not the Kinks, but I just love it as a song on its own. A good song is a good song, right? Ray could have made a living doing musicals if his first love wasn't rock music.