The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

The first tracks are fine but the last tracks is never as good as the first track.

Perhaps explication bellow :

Vinyl Record Inner-Groove Distortion (A Simple Explanation) - Sound Matters

2. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

IDGI ?
    AFAIK ?
    IGD ?

Sorry but what is it :confused:

Oelewapper likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Lol...
    I don't get it, as far as I know, inner groove distortion.

You'll learn more and more of these acronyms if you're on these forums regularly ;)

T86911 likes this.
  4. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

That said, to have a very straight tonearm with my 18mm height 2Mblack, i have to set the arm-height adjust ring to 0.5 and not 3 with the original rubber mat.

[​IMG]

5. JP

JP Forum Resident

^ WHS.

ubiknik and Oelewapper like this.
  6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I really know what is it since 40 years ago, i was telling you what to check. You seems to be more lost than i thought ... read / learn more about it and then read the posts again. Or maybe someone with more time available can explain it from zero.

7. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

- static I use SK- III Rhodium
    - dust : Even new vinyl
    - groove damage (previous stylus wear) : Shibata new
    - preamp overload : I don't know but i suppose my C220 McInosh is good.
    - etc

Check the obvious stuff, alignment, VTF, etc ... but then you can check that other stuff. : I check my anti-skating with a vinyl not engraved.

It is not hight distortion but as i said the last track of a side is less precise than the first for example.

8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Even new says nothing ... pressing factories aren't hospitals. I clean every record that goes inside my house ... and if they have paper / cardboard inner sleeve, forget it, change that sleeve for a good antistatic one.
    Then, every time before play, a carbon fiber brush to clean the superficial tiny dust particles.

Did you cleaned the stylus? If you inspect the stylus with a standard magnifying glass (you don't need a microscope to see the dirt in the stylus) ... what do you see? is clean or have debris?

T86911 likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Is this this issue on every record or just a few or one particular record? Can you give an exact example with Discogs links?

If the stylus is new and the records are new it could be that the record is not particularly well mastered or your cartridge setup needs a little tweaking.

10. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

...and if it's used, the record could be damaged and in this case there's nothing you can do about it.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yup. A couple weeks ago I was doing some shopping and happened by a bookstore I've gone in before. Usually they have some used records, but very little of interest. Went in, due to lack of planning I was wearing eyeglasses instead of contacts. Glasses fogged up from winter weather, store not well lit. Picked up two used records and by the time I got around to checking them out on the turntable several days later, both were duds. One had significant groove wear and had likely been trashed by a worn stylus, and the other had paper garbage pressed into the grooves at the factory. Luckily I was not out a ton of money.

Point is, even people with a lot of experience w/r/t used vinyl can make mistakes and end up with a dud record. It rarely happens these days to me, but still.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    HiFi Guy, snorker, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  12. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I had a run of about 5 bad used albums. ..Badly off-center hole; mold smell (didn't notice at used record store); badly worn grove, etc... ..But low and behold, this Christmas my boys gave me great copies of Blue (Joni M); Kinda Blue (need you ask?); and Blood on the Tracks (again, need you ask?). All three are perfect. So trust restored - it is possible to find good used records :)

patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Now that's a happy ending.

14. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

I clean the stylus not each time but i will do

15. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

12 inch records works perfectly.
    Only some new LP on the last track. It’s not so aubible with the oldest.
    What do you mean with Discogs links ? (i know Discogs because i buy and sold records in this site)

16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I clean the stylus before each listening session (I mean not before every record) ... with clean records is more than enough.

Each record goes through the fiber carbon brush before every play, but is a quick operation ... only 2 or 3 revolutions.

If you clean well your records the first time, use decent inner sleeves and do the "ritual" I mentioned ... you'll have dust free, good sounding records for your lifetime. And I repeat, with one and only first deep clean.

It's not a hard work ... many people think you need to use a record cleaning machine constantly ... that's not my experience with the method I told you.

tin ears likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I mean show us the exact record and the exact pressing with a link there. Give us very specific examples of the problem records.

18. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

So I start :
    I switched the tip to isopropanol alcohol. I started with the last track to avoid any risk of fouling during playback.
    Not easy to choose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] : original : good
    [​IMG] : reissue : good
    [​IMG] : reissue : very bad

20. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] : reissue: good
    [​IMG] original : good
    [​IMG] : reissue : perhaps the last trompet

21. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] original/reissue ? good
    [​IMG] : reissue : not so good
    [​IMG] : original good
    [​IMG] : original good

22. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

[QUOTE="T86911, post: 28633124,]

[​IMG] : reissue : very bad[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with this Barbara & Ernie album, or the label that reissued that record. Label looks like a dubious out fit though, and I wouldn't trust anything from them.

Here's the Discogs entry:

Fallout

Profile:
    Related Labels: Sunbeam Records, Phoenix Records (2), Radioactive (2), Psychic Circle, Bamboo (2), Pilot Records (9), Magic Box (3)
    Founder Steven Carr was in charge of production and manufacturing for the controversial Radioactive (2) label, but eventually had a falling out with label partner James Plummer (2) over the business model of the label, which involved reissuing rare out-of-print albums without the artists or obtaining their permission. Steven Carr left Radioactive and founded Fallout Records and Sunbeam Records in order to reissue rare major label albums with more involvement from the artists, though controversy still remains with artists not being compensated for their Fallout Records reissues.

FWIW the Phoenix label is basically quasi-bootleg garbage, often sourced from dubious needledrops. Outfits like this never have access to real master tapes or anything close to them. They will use a needledrop or in some cases a CD rip to make the vinyl and have it cut by Joe Schmo at the pressing plant. Can't expect good results from that.

T86911 likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

[QUOTE="T86911, post: 28633164, member: 130970]
    [​IMG] : reissue : not so good
    [/QUOTE]

The Leroy Hutson record looks like a Scorpio reissue. Their stuff is not good. I have a different Hutson album reissued by them and the quality is poor though the music is great.

Basically I think your problem has more to do with the records than your gear. Research any record before buying.

T86911 likes this.
  25. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this Barbara & Ernie album, or the label that reissued that record. Label looks like a dubious out fit though, and I wouldn't trust anything from them.

Here's the Discogs entry:

Fallout

Profile:
    Related Labels: Sunbeam Records, Phoenix Records (2), Radioactive (2), Psychic Circle, Bamboo (2), Pilot Records (9), Magic Box (3)
    Founder Steven Carr was in charge of production and manufacturing for the controversial Radioactive (2) label, but eventually had a falling out with label partner James Plummer (2) over the business model of the label, which involved reissuing rare out-of-print albums without the artists or obtaining their permission. Steven Carr left Radioactive and founded Fallout Records and Sunbeam Records in order to reissue rare major label albums with more involvement from the artists, though controversy still remains with artists not being compensated for their Fallout Records reissues.

FWIW the Phoenix label is basically quasi-bootleg garbage, often sourced from dubious needledrops. Outfits like this never have access to real master tapes or anything close to them. They will use a needledrop or in some cases a CD rip to make the vinyl and have it cut by Joe Schmo at the pressing plant. Can't expect good results from that.[/QUOTE]

I love their only one album but the quality (especially the last track of each side) is very poor...

punkmusick likes this.