Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

For what I believe is the first time in the history of "SNL", I have no idea who either of those people are. :help:

Not saying this in some kind of weird SHF "I'm cool because I'm out of touch with society" - saying it because I'm pretty sure it is the first time I've heard of neither the host nor the musical guest!

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I do better than most on SHF but scrolling thru past hosts on wiki since 2013 here's a few more shows where host & music had me seeing faces/names for the first time. Certain genres or streaming shows or NFL will simply be cultural blind spots for me.

Simu Liu & Saweetie - November 20, 2021
    Regé-Jean Page & Bad Bunny - February 20, 2021
    James McAvoy & Meek Mill - January 26, 2019

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

james mcavoy ? really?

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. Oatsdad

I know Simu Liu from the "Shang-Chi" movie.

No idea who Page is, but I've heard of Bad Bunny.

McAvoy's been in a zillion movies - you've really never heard of him? :eek:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

x-men series

8. SoundAdvice

Just looked at photos and filmography and came up dry. I have seen a couple things with him in it and either I wasn't invested(DVD dollar bin pick up) or it didn't make an impression. It's on me, but mostly it's genres of movies I don't gravitate towards. X-Men is not for me, but I did sit through one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Jost is also pretty good on the show now too - in contrast to his first year or two, when he was stiff and terrible. I was surprised he didn’t get yanked back to the writers room after his first season on WU.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

That TVLine site has got to be the fastest loading I've ever enc0untered considering the length of content I had to scroll to read with an outdated OS and browser. Can't say that for most of the media sites linked here. Even their comment section is easy and simple.

Was surprised how well Billie Eilish could act and say her lines when she hosted SNL. I think she has an acting career ahead of her.

Taxman and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Host was in the original cast of Hamilton... which was kind of a big deal.

She has been almost exclusively Broadway, so I will grant that if you don't follow that, she's kind of a no-name in any era.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

McAvoy has been in dozens of movies across a wide variety of genres.

Sorry - I remain shocked you'd never heard of him. Dude's 42 and been acting for 25 years, so it's not like he's some flavor of the month...

Tim Lookingbill and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Ah - yeah, you're right about the last part.

I actually saw "Hamilton" when it played DC a few years back - I'm not a musicals guy, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Couldn't name a single person who played in the touring company - assume it was no one from the original cast.

I know Miranda and Daveed Diggs from "Hamilton" and that's it - and LMM is the only one of the 2 I know because of "Hamilton".

I know Diggs from other movies.

Really, it's unusual for me to know who Broadway people are unless they appear in movies or some other medium.

Outside of LMM, I'm struggling to think of anyone from Broadway over the last, say, 10 years who I've heard of just for Broadway work...

14. SoundAdvice

Maybe the upcoming show has "weaker" guests is because bigger stars want confident they get full cast/crowd/normal news cycle.

Lots of his genres are in my blind spots. I have seen the Band of Brothers mini series/Wimbledon/Deadpool 2(cameo), but have no memory of McAvoy.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

She’s one of the stars of West Side Story and the one with the most Oscar buzz from the movie. She’s pretty great in it - no idea how that will translate to SNL success!

Dan C and Oatsdad like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Thanks. I didn't get around to seeing the new "WSS" yet!

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Roddy Ricch has dropped out as this week's musical guest "due to recent COVID exposure on my team" and will be replaced by Bleachers.

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Never heard of him either.

19. MikaelaArsenault

According to Roddy Rich on Instagram, he's working with the SNL team to lock in a new date.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

well, then I will look forward to fast forwarding thru his performance later. ;) It's fairly rare I do not skip the 'musical talent' in the last couple of years. I must be getting old.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe they're just slating artists and hosts with only one sliver of audience who knows them...just so they can slip in a reference to their latest project for the applause line. Cheap ways of getting applause is an SNL opening monologue requirement. I've never seen another show who ever had standing orders to say "we've got a great show here..." before the show even starts. Add water, makes its own hubris.

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

New episode this Saturday night but will they have an audience?, will there be a cast? will the hosts and band show up? technically nothing has changed in NYC since they aborted that show back in December. Omicron is still around.

SNL does not work without an audience.

23. MikaelaArsenault

There is a digital standby reservation process:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1481642251776245763

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

McAvoy’s hosted before - remember the Narnia sketch? Hopefully we will get more of Mr Tumnus.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Aside from every single late night talk show that says “we have a great show tonight, so-and-so is here”?