David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Crazy that The Economist wrote a sensible, spot on article on Bowie/Toy in a much better way than most bored music critics.

RrobynneUK, spindly, Roxy6 and 3 others like this.
  2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I see Low Orange vinyl been listed on reddit for 14th January

BruceWayne and croquetlawns like this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That sounds like the inevitably predictable

whatprogress likes this.
  4. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

I too received the dread Amazon email last night. It's really upset me tbh. I'm having a s**t time at the moment and I was really looking forward to it. Pre-ordered it on release day blah blah blah. Oh well seems about right for my life at the moment. Btw Amazon threw me a few quid credit as compensation so if you've had the email it's worth checking. I might put it towards some jazz CDs.

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes I got it, and the compensation, and the order still says "arriving today", we will see!

Tim

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

45 Years.

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Such an important anniversary to honour. o_O

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, this is the age of "10th Anniversary" edition. Everybody is constantly celebrating everything. And with a prolific artist like Bowie you've got various anniversaries. Every year. :evil:

croquetlawns likes this.
  9. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Yeah, I've just checked and mine says arriving by 8pm. Oh well we'll see. I've spent my credit on some Archie Shepp albums. I think Bowie would have approved.

10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Those who control the Velvet Underground’s legacy thought so.

paulybauls and croquetlawns like this.
  11. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

It will always be a stand alone track to me since I first heard this version on a bonus disc with "Heathen" (which I realise as I type this is 20 years old now...somehow)

I can see why some mightn't like it but I love his vocal on it, mostly very restrained until "and the world...",I'm going to listen to it again now in fact

Azorbz and footprintsinthesand like this.
  12. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

I had a subscription to the Economist at one point, they had/have some great journalists (bit expensive though!).......I don't agree on their views on "Toy" but thats either written by someone who's really done their homework, or who's more of a fan than they're letting on (I suspect the latter).

They really nail Bowies career and reception over the last 30 years I think. I remember the ridicule he was subjected to in the 90s (mainly in the British press as thats what I would have had access to), I remember NME giving "Earthling" a pretty good review, then....6/10 **** off, it wasn't as good as whatever Britpop rubbish was released the same week of course. I had a feeling then it would take his death for a lot of these idiots to catch up, I think things started to change around 2000 as the article says but it was a slow process that wasn't finally complete until his death imo..... I know people complain about all the bandwagon jumpers and tacky memorabilia since he died but I'm happy to see him reach new audiences tbh, I just wish more people gave him a break while he was here.

Thanks for sharing the article.

DesertHermit, Nike, pobbard and 3 others like this.
  13. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Hopefully yes
    That it will feature on an
    Upcoming deluxe box set for 71/72.
    Totally unheard it seems.
    So that clarifies it now that the shadowman from the bootlegs we've all heard for many years dates to late 1970. In that case why wasn't it included on the width of a circle boxset which covers the whole year of 1970 recordings?

14. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

Done and done. A shout out to "Sound Knowledge" in Marlborough who have put one aside for me. £25 for the CD set. No idea how many they have.

It'll take at least all of my lunchtime to go and fetch it and I'll have to pay for parking, but I bet I still get it earlier and with less hassle than Amazon have been giving me with this stuff lately. This will be my go-to MO (read that as "Method of Operation" or "Mail-Order" - either works) from now on. I just wish I'd ordered BA from them as well, now.

Azorbz likes this.
  15. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I just went to HMV and I picked up a copy. They had a fair few in stock, and I doubt that it will sell out soon. I've now cancelled my Amazon order. It was annoying to have to do this but at least I got to get it before I go back to university.

Roxy6, croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I remember hearing a lot of the Toy album tracks when I bought the CD singles from the Heathen album around 2002. Admittingly I didn't like them very much and still don't - plodding, mumbling, tired and dare I say it a little boring. Shadow Man being the best of the bunch, the Unplugged and early version of this is great, but the rest...meh.

Jimmy Jam likes this.
  17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Will head down to my local HMV shortly. Curiously Amazon still says it's expected today, although it's not yet dispatched.

Azorbz likes this.
  18. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Mine said the same, but, unlike the Glastonbury 2000 (2CD/DVD) and Hunky Dory picture disc that I have coming today, it hasn't been dispatched.

Bink likes this.
  19. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Mine says arriving Tuesday, anyway clicked the £3 token and got the price reduced.

Azorbz and Bink like this.
  20. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

l have had an email to say they will have them in stock on the 9th now.
    Spent my £3 on a bed for our dog, well, it cost more than that, but it helped a bit.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Cancelled my Amazon order and bought from my local HMV at lunchtime. Listening to disc 1 now.

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I've somehow managed to get a papercut and drip blood all over my Toy:Box already...

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m actually happy enough with the 2 LP Toy from the big box. I think I can do without the Toy Box. I’ll be proud of myself if I don’t eventually cave. History suggests I will.

24. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Getting the 1970 "Shadow Man" as a b-side is a definite surprise, no question, even if it's not "new" to collectors! It also gave me a good excuse to update my Toy:Originals playlist...

Bowie - Toy: Originals

This is where I confess that "Shadow Man" has never really done anything for me, in any version, although I was impressed by the Toy gorgeous rearrangement, which really hides the song's Dylan-lite roots. And I am always happy to get a legit release of a genuine Bowie outtake/demo... hopefully many more to come.

spindly, Runicen, Azorbz and 3 others like this.
  25. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Should one buy the 10" vinyl toy box set? I've decided I'm not springing for the full mega box, too much music I don't especially like. Will be getting the superb Buddha on vinyl and Black Tie as well.

Heard some samples of Toy and it sounded better than I suspected, wistful, tastefully produced and melodic. The rockier stuff I didn't like as much. Thanks in advance.