Pink Floyd ‎– The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Stereo vs. Mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Skull, Feb 10, 2021.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Must have both, but the stereo is my go-to. I have two ears, albeit aging ones, and the stereo mix is as vivid and wild today as it was in its time.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, but I don't think that you do. For one thing, mono mixes ruled the psychedelic era, stereo was a novelty and most people didn't bother with it. Stereo was more a 70's head music thing. For another, that panning gimmick is, as I said, just jarring and unmusical. It literally brings to mind a teenage kid sitting in his room with headphones on, blissed out on his music, and his kid brother comes in and whips the balance knob back and forth, causing teenage kid to panic and spill bongwater in his lap. :laugh: Furthermore, I'm not aware of any other mix of the psychedelic era where the engineer just panned everything left to right like that, so the gimmick doesn't really define anything.

But anyway, to be clear, I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever or that it ruins the stereo mix, but I surely cannot agree that it's a defining moment of psychedelia and that if one doesn't like it, one somehow doesn't understand psychedelia. That's investing it with far more importance than it has.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The mono mix has much more psychedelia...

4. spieg16

spieg16 Forum Resident

5. ggoldenage

ggoldenage Forum Resident

Stereo mix is completely unlistenable. Like many stereo mixes from that era, you forget your listening to a rock band. Mono has way more punch, is incredibly balanced, and does away with all ridiculous gimmicks.

6. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

This may be true but I bet most people know this record from the stereo mix. It was hardly unlistenable back then. Same with sgt pepper.

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'd be willing to bet most people, like me, came to know it from the A Nice Pair two-fer.

tedhead, Mr-Beagle, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  9. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

The critical consensus was always this was a bit better in mono, hence the high levels of recent interest in the RSD Mono LP, as the original goes for silly prices now.

Both have their charms, both are essential for Pink Floyd fans.

tug_of_war, Neonbeam and kt66brooklyn like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There are albums where I'm having a certain preference - not a fan of The Doors in mono - but this isn't one of them. Both mixes are fine. And since it's a great record it's perfectly valid to enjoy both.

11. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It’s shocking that the engineer of Rubber Soul produced such a poor sounding LP for Pink Floyd, but it’s not surprising that he gave us a crummy stereo mix. Mono all the way.

12. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

My introduction to the Interstellar panning was on the Relics cassette I bought when I was about 9. Even on portable tape deck it…erm…caught my attention. I think I probably thought it was kinda cool, but I was literally a child and it’s how I would have mixed it probably :)

I know they’re different formats but any opinion on 2007 mono cd vs RSD mono? Wondering whether I can justify getting the new vinyl version.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

That's me...I had a cassette copy, bought during my initial Floyd obsession in the mid 80's. It had the Ummagumma version of Astronomy.

14. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

On balance I prefer the stereo although the mono is an interesting listen. Same for Sgt. Pepper

15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

16. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

As with Sgt Pepper, the stereo version is Pop, the mono version is Rock.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Had the original stereo cd 20 years until I discovered the mono. Now I only listen to the mono version but the stereo is essential.

YardByrd and dkmonroe like this.
  18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I bought it when first released on Tower Records. Didn’t find out till years later that it differed from the UK release.

19. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

Found it easier to revive this thread instead of making a new one, here's a video of Tower promo singles being played. The last track played is the Flaming single. I cannot for the life of me tell where this supposed edit is. Can anyone help discern any difference between the US single and the UK mono mix?

20. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

There's no any differences at all. It's common mono mix. There wasn't special mixing for US version.

21. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Agreed. Albums that were made to be wonderfully disorienting like this one sound better in stereo to my ears. Talking about psychedelic albums.

sharedon likes this.
  22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

There’s an extra bar before the final chord.

Not Willem DaFoe likes this.
  23. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

There was an extra bar before the final chord.

24. Jazzlober

Jazzlober Forum Resident

With this album it's Mono all the way. There is a big difference between the stereo and mono, I like the stereo but the mono takes it to a much higher dimension.

25. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Good arguments for stereo and equally as good arguments for mono.
    You know it's a great record when both will do nicely. Listen either way and dig what's happening.