David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's a ridiculous gimmick but I'll have to admit: It worked! :hide:

Jimmy Jam and Curveboy like this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:evil:

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. NightGoatToCairo

Who else bought Toy on cassette? Come on, fess up.

4. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

I don't like "Toy", I don't have a cassette player.....maybe its the wine but I was thinking earlier "maybe it would be cool to have it":shh:

Neonbeam and Azorbz like this.
  5. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I haven't, but when they're put online, I will.

paulybauls, Colinjpush and Neonbeam like this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

Pinot Noir? Will you spit some across the internet?

We'll beat those McCartney geeks and their multi-formats! :pineapple:

Neonbeam and Azorbz like this.
  7. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

Well if you must know....

Valpiculata Puertas Novas Crianza | Vivino

Very tasty stuff, I was planning on half tonight and half tomorrow but eh.....things have gotten a little out of hand

8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am a little surprised that the Toy box doesn't have any liner notes. Not even a brief one page intro putting the album into context.

9. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Really?? Very surprised by this. At a minimum, you'd think they might reproduce the Plati notes/memories from the BA box.

(My physical copy won't arrive until next week).

fluxkit, Markyp, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It was never part of Toy it was for a Who tribute

11. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I was rather disappointed when I got my copy and saw that the booklet offered very little information on the songs and mixes.

12. NightGoatToCairo

I know. Look at the playlist description in the link and some of the other tracks included. The track qualifies.

Colocally likes this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

Nothing to do with the new set. Please go back and read the details.

fluxkit likes this.
  14. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Does anyone have an idea of when we should be expecting the cassettes to be online?

15. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

When the stores close at the end of January.

Personally I'm not thrilled with the whole 75 thing, I just want January to fly by so all this nonsense is over.

Mikewest, Fabrice Outside and Azorbz like this.
  16. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Listening to CD2 in the Toy box set and am enjoying the alternative mixes and extras. Mastering sounds pretty good to me, too.

I’m usually a vinyl guy but I don’t have a yen for 10” (and the price of that vinyl set is nuts). Anyway, I have the main Toy tracks on vinyl in the BA box, and that’s enough.

17. Phoncible

Phoncible Forum Resident

Like some other folks on here, my actually enjoying Toy has been the big surprise of this Brilliant Adventure set. I'd heard and pretty much discarded the single tracks back when Heathen came out - found them to be boring to me and not the best match with the otherwise fine Heathen stuff. I came across the leaked version of the album some years ago and again was underwhelmed - maybe because I still viewed it in the Heathen context, especially with the early versions of the Heathen tracks included.

So, when the Brilliant Adventure set arrived, I listened to most of the other material before finally embarking on the Toy journey. Initially, I had to overcome my lack of interest and prejudice ... but after listening to this sequence of this specific selection of tracks, I started getting into the mood of the album and have now reached the point of really enjoying it. Will it ever reach the heights of my favorite Bowie albums - no, not very likely. Still, I will come back to these songs and will be happy when they come up shuffling through my Bowie stuff. I even ended up going for the Toy:Box and am now really enjoying comparing and choosing my favorite versions of the tracks (I don't have a favorite overall version, but instead really prefer certain mixes for certain tracks).

So, despite my initial prejudice, Toy:Box is probably now my favorite recent release.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  18. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

After years of listening to playlists I’d made trying to replicate what I thought TOY would be I finally heard the “official “ version yesterday. If I’d been the label boss I’d have passed on it too. 4-5 good songs (we’ve known for years) anchoring a bunch of half -hearted sludge.

You were truly brilliant, Dave, but you couldn’t win them all.

Mikewest, paddrino and Jimmy Jam like this.
  19. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying the Unplugged & Somewhat Slightly Electric disc. Might end up playing it more than the actual album.

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I enjoyed that one too. I am currently listening to the Alternatives and Extras disc. I wondered if this disc would be necessary and thought that they might have created it because vinyl time restrictions stopped them putting all tracks on one disc. However there are some significant differences. I particularly enjoyed hearing Lisa Germano's violin in The London Boys.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Huh, my Toy box (CD) arrived this morning, despite Amazon saying it would be next week due to a delay. It's as ugly as you imagined.

22. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Just checked my staus for this, it's been dispatched .. from France.

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Played all six records last night. Love it and don't agree there's only four or five good songs. The cover makes me smile every time I see it. I put it in the so bad it's good category. Zero complaints with the content or quality.

Bandersson, Neonbeam, Nike and 3 others like this.
  24. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

This was exactly my experience. I didn't buy 'Brilliant Adventure' but gave the samples of the 'Toy' box a few listens and was also able to overcome my previous feelings.

My 'Toy' vinyl box arrives next week (along with a copy of the 'BBC Radio Theatre' vinyl).

Phoncible likes this.
  25. NightGoatToCairo

Problèmes du premier monde, encore une fois!