Amazon (UK) Shipped Me an LP with No Packaging

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Anaplian, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate Thread Starter

Thread title says it all really. LP was shipped with no packaging. None.

Unsurprisingly the LP arrived in a pretty poor state. Am quite angry really.

I tried to complain to Amazon and they informed me that I could arrange a return. Grrr.

No more Amazon LP purchases for me.

longdist01 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  2. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Amazon: pay peanuts, get monkeys.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. ScottishStuart

ScottishStuart Stay Hard, Stay Hungry, Stay Alive

Agreed. There are so many reputable indie stores in UK that sell online and with sturdy and careful packaging that I havent used Amazon UK for over a year.

TurtleIsland and longdist01 like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That’s weird as they usually pack my CDs rather well.

chrisblower likes this.
  5. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Very weird. When I ordered the Pretty Things Silk Torpedo and Savage Eye reissues they both came in heavy cardboard packages. But that was over two years ago. As Bobby said above they pack CDs very well.

6. Malibu John

Malibu John Forum Resident

Happened to me last year too. Once out of hundreds of Amazon deliveries mind you. I heard a knock on the door and went to open it. I found a vinyl copy of Isle of View by the Pretenders on the Demon label in its custom poly sleeve with hype sticker and an Amazon address label plastered right over it on the doormat. And nothing else. It was one of those third party seller fulfilled by Amazon deals. It is a rare album on vinyl and I had paid, I think £70 for it. So I was pretty upset. But the LP was okay, albeit with a dog-eared corner. I was able to separate the address label from the hype sticker. If I had returned it, I might not have found another copy of the only Pretenders album I did not have on vinyl. So I kept it. Still, it’s amazing to me that it could have left a fulfilment centre like that and no-one pulled it.

Anaplian and longdist01 like this.
  7. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

It’s really hit and miss. Generally, records come well packaged. However, I’ve had a few occasions where they’ll just slap a postage sticker on the shrink wrap resulting in the record being damage in transit. It’s really frustrating, just because it is such a stupid thing to do.

As per other posters, I try and avoid Amazon where I can - even if it means that I pay a little more to an indie. However, sometimes it’s just a lot cheaper via Amazon.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I live in the US and got this from Amazon exactly like this ! Thankfully and unbelievably it was in perfect shape.
    [​IMG]

9. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate Thread Starter

I don’t use Amazon as a rule - mostly buy online from Relevant Record Cafe and Norman Records who are both excellent.

Whenever I have purchased from Amazon previously records have been mostly well packed.

Man at C&A and longdist01 like this.
  10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I found the Rolling Stones Deluxe Stripped set on Amazon UK for a great price and ordered it. A few weeks later, I was going down the hall to my apartment and saw something left at my door. I couldn't tell what it was. As I got closer, I discovered was a box from Amazon UK, totally crushed with a tire track across it and a huge rip in it. I didn't even have to open the package to pull out the set. All I had to do is make the already existing hole about an inch larger. What was even more unbelievable was the only "packing" was a flat square of folded packing paper placed on top of the set. Amazingly, none of the discs was damaged, but the book is still bowed from being run over. Of course I left them a packaging review. I would have been very upset if the set was damaged.

You never know with Amazon. This Christmas my wife and I received a box of rather fragile cookies that were just slipped into a bubble envelope and somehow arrived intact. Then I also got T-shirt and a mousepad that were shipped in a box with plenty of packing. So apparently, it really doesn't matter what you order. The packaging for ordered items often seems random rather than appropriate.

Anaplian likes this.
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

A grave decision by Amazon.

forthlin and tinnox like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I had it a couple of times last year, what I have discovered is that the packaging used is selected by a computer, not the person who actually packs the items, they just use whatever box etc,. they are told, so why their record packaging can vary so much is beyond me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Me too, although I use Drift in Totnes, Truck in Oxford and Normans. All great. Really don’t use Amazon foR music or books anymore. They are ruining retail society IMO.

ScottishStuart and Anaplian like this.
  14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I'm in the US and ordered a LP from Amazon with several other items a couple of years ago. To my surprise, they picked the LP with the rest of the order and put it all in a big box without other protection. Somehow the LP came through it with no damage other than a small tear in the plastic used to seal it. I've ordered just an LP another time and it came inside a LP mailer.

15. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I must be lucky, I guess.
    Last night I got an LP from Amazon which was inside a custom corrugated cardboard mailer, which was inside a 13" x 18" x 3.5" box (size Z11) with air filled bags.

16. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Last week I received Return to Forever "Returns" from Amazon. It was simply shipped in a plastic bag. No cardboard. I hadn't seen this before and I hope it isn't a trend. The cover had seen better days (4 lp's led to compressed outer corners) but the vinyl was fine. It wasn't worth a return for the price I paid ($24 for the 4 lp set) so I let it go. I received my copy of the cur of Tommy this AM and the pacaking was the usual cardboard inside the bag. All good. Maybe it was just an error. Has anyone else seen this lately?

17. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Amazon in the US does the same thing, with box sets, no less. I received both The Who Sell Out and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Deja Vu box sets in an envelope without any padding whatsoever. I guess they think that they are saving money by not taking the time and expense to add padding. Cheapskates...

18. Warbs

Warbs Forum Resident

I have treated myself over Christmas to eight vinyl lp's/box sets, and four have gone back, and the replacements for two have also gone back, all down to items being damaged due to poor packaging.

A box set, fifty pounds worth was just sent in a paper bag and had a crushed corner. The replacement was sent in a mailer, and an outer box , but was also damaged!

It seems to be a combination of poor packaging and rough handling of the items before they're packed.

I've decided not to bother again, I'd rather pay a few quid more and get from HMV, or Norman for my indie stuff.

Anaplian and MonkeyTennis like this.
  19. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Amazon US is a crapshoot when it comes to packing. They are bad about dumping boxed sets, LPs and digipak CDs in envelopes without padding. Buy at your own risk.