Black Sabbath - Sabotage | The Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CaptainSizzle, Jan 8, 2022.

1. CaptainSizzle

CaptainSizzle The Tapes Archives Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I just finished a demo version for my documentary on Black Sabbath's album Sabotage.

The doc is 30min long and covers the album of Sabotage and Sabbath's fight with management.

I know what you may be thinking.."oh great, another BS user-generated crap video." lol...Without hopefully sounding like a braggart...I'm an award-winning documentarian whose day job is in the professional video world. For fun, I like to make these videos.

I will not make a penny from this video. So hopefully, none of this seems like spam.

Big shoutout to forum member @GodShifter who allowed me to use part of his text found here.

The doc was thoroughly researched. (I bought 9 Black Sabbath books.) I have over 250 hours in creating it.

If anyone here considers themselves a Black Sabbath expert, I may need your help. I will be sharing the demo version with a very small select group to make sure I didn't get anything wrong and that it doesn't suck. Please PM if interested.

I will be releasing the video in the next 10 days or so and will be available on Youtube. In the meantime I'm attaching two photos I colorized for the video, and a very short clip showing the animation for one of the photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CaptainSizzle

Here is my last Black Sabbath video. It's about Frank Zappa's love for Sabbath. (BTW my new one is better. lol)

3. CaptainSizzle

What would you call Ozzy's solo album if he'd released it in 1974?

The song Am I Going Insane (Radio) was intended at first for an Ozzy solo album. So in my Sabotage video I have made a mock album cover called "The Day After the Sabbath" But I'm hoping maybe one of you has a better name.

[​IMG]

4. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I thoroughly enjoyed this and learned a thing or two (Like, I had no idea about how Am I Going Insane (Radio) was to go on an Ozzy solo album).
    The special effects are great and the variety of pics and clips are extensive. Very engaging and funny. I LOVE the sound of your voice too.

I was just wondering who the target audience is. Just general YouTube? Because if it is meant to be for general users it might go a little fast. IDK, I am a little slow so there's that :) But I think that I am pretty knowledgeable about Sabbath history and some of it went over my head. I guess mostly the different players in regards to management. But that is a pretty hairy mess that I think is probably very difficult to task.

And is it just for fun or an assignment?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  5. CaptainSizzle

Paulette!! Thank you for your kind words, and for taking a watch of the demo version. I'm almost ready to make the video public.

The target audience is anyone who likes Black Sabbath or music-type documentaries. You're right I did try to make it go by fast. I have learned in editing videos that people tend to drop off if there is a lull in the video. So I like to make them quick edits and hopefully keep people engaged. BUT I also want to inform and not go over anyone's head. So I really appreciate your comment on this and on the next video, I will maybe "slow" it down a bit in those complicated parts. I'm with you, it does get confusing on who is Arden/Meehan JR SR/Wilf Pine etc.

I did this just for fun. My day job is in the video corporate world so I don't get to flex my creativity as much as I'd like to. No money will be made from this on my end. Plus I do it cuz I love Sabbath.

6. CaptainSizzle

Tomorrow I will be releasing "Black Sabbath - Sabotage | The Documentary. " It's a 30min look at Sabbath's classic album and all the drama around it. In the meantime, here is one last colorized photo that was made for the doc. [​IMG] #blacksabbath
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Looking forward to this. Sabotage is my favorite Sabbath album and Sabbath is a top 5 band for me, so this is right up my alley :righton:

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Not a huge Sabbath fan myself but I look forward to seeing this as I love Rockumentaries of any kind. I like Sabbath and own several albums but Sabotage is not one of them. Perhaps after watching I'll be inspired to check it out! edit: I just subscribed to your channel, lots of interesting videos to occupy my time!

CaptainSizzle likes this.
  9. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

This appears to be a very interesting project you've taken on. It is a pivotal part of Sabbath's history and yes, quite complicated due to all of the legal issues involved. I too was previously unaware that Am I Going Insane was originally intended to be for an Ozzy solo album. Best of luck to you in completing this.

Ted

BPMC, CaptainSizzle and GoodKitty like this.
  10. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I can't wait to see it. I hope @GodShifter is doing well. I miss your insights on the metal and NFL threads

11. This.

CaptainSizzle and Northwind like this.
  12. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

13. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Really looking forward to this - fair play to ya CaptainSizzle!

14. CaptainSizzle

Thank you everyone for your positive comments. I'll be back early tomorrow with a link to watch it.

15. CaptainSizzle

16. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Great job CaptainSizzle! Wish this was part of the Sabotage SuperDeluxe as a DVD---it would have fit very nicely!

17. CaptainSizzle

Wow, man..That's a hell of a compliment. Thank you!

18. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

So much cool stuff here Captain and as a fledging Documentary filmmaker, very inspiring. I did not know about Zappa's afiinity for Sabbath or a proposed Ozzy solo album. I can't even imagine what that would have sounded like since Ozzy wasn't a songwriter really not to mention who would've played on it.

19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

That was Excellent!! Really well made. You’ve very skilled at your job.

That final quote from Bill about how hard it was making the album but listening back he loves it - did you credit that quote to Sabotage or Technical Ecstasy? It looked like you credited it to TE (sorry, it’s a right pain trying to find a specific section to re-watch a video on this site with an iPhone).

I did find your pronunciation of Patrick MeeHan a little jarring, but that’s only cos it’s pronounced with a soft ‘h’ in my part of the world (Ireland).
    Also Bills “bollicks” was pronounced a bit weird too I found :laugh:.

But absolutely first class! Well done Sir! :tiphat:

20. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Ooooohoohooo can't wait to watch this tonite!

Paulette likes this.
  21. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Great doc for an equally great album!

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Cool! Will watch this evening.

23. CaptainSizzle

Thanks Gus! I'm a fledging Documentary filmmaker myself. (I've done 7) Have you made any? Below is the trailer to my biggest one. It's on Amazon to watch. It's tough to make a living in that field. That's why I have to do corporate video.

D.B. and Gus Tomato like this.
  24. Nod2

Nod2 Forum Resident

Without trying to be a smart-**** can I offer a few observations. I'm a real stickler for the history of recording studios, I co-run a site called philsbook.com (currently being re-built) and contributed to Howard Massey's "UK recording studios" book, so I get picky when I see misattributed studio footage! The guy identified as "David Harris" at Morgan studio is actually footage of David Harries, an ex Abbey Road/Apple chap who ended up managing AIR studios. The documentary claims that the album was mixed in New York, there is no evidence of this in the credits, it was MASTERED originally at Sterling in NY. The footage accompanying this section is actually Eddy Offord at Advision studios in London, which has nothing to do with Black sabbath. I appreciate that I'm being a boring pedant, but it is amazing how quickly inaccurate stuff spreads! Still my favourite Sabbath album, purchased when I was 15- a long time ago.
    Good to see my little picture of Morgan studios in the intro- taken in about 1978 on my sister's little Kodak Instamatic it's taken on a life of it's own, appearing on the CADAC mixing desk site, Jethro Tull's site, Howard's book and the soon to be released Led Zeppelin film.

25. CaptainSizzle

Hey man, it's all good..Yes I used footage that doesn't exactly mesh with what is being said. If I had accurate footage of Sabbath in the studio I would have used it. Try to find a picture of David Harris or Mike Butcher from the 70's
    If this was an official release then I could see your point more. But this is just something I did for fun. I'm a team of one that worked on this for 300 hours to provide some entertainment for folks and my love for Sabbath.

I would have to dig it up but one of my Sabbath books did say it was mixed in New York. Now could that book have been wrong 100%. But even Tony and Ozzy's book has things that don't seem to be accurate.

If you are looking for perfection you will not find here. Plus you missed other things that are not 100% footage-wise. But I stand by my facts 100%