David Bowie - Toy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jan 8, 2022.

1. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I prefer Toy to Black Tie White Noise, Outside, and Earthling.

That said, I have no interest in the 2 discs of demos. If it ever gets a single-disc release I will gladly buy it.

apple-richard and croquetlawns like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I like those versions, unfinished or not, they sound fine to me. I don't need multiple takes of the same songs.
    As you said, no liner notes or annotations, but then I'm not paying 34 bucks for it either.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It's a taste of the Carnaby Street era. Mediocre or not it is a tribute to that time. Like the David Stewart project Platinum Weird.

Kundalini and Fabrice Outside like this.
  4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It’s a fine album. It’s MOR Rock/Pop Bowie, on fire and with a great band.

If people expects it’s a ‘Masterpiece’, then it’s just too bad for them. Less can do it sometimes.

It’s a feel-good album. That’s fine. I enjoy this album and it’s great when you want to hear a ‘casual’ Bowie record where it’s just his sound and voice you want to hear. Bowie is not out to prove anything. Leave that to his ‘serious’ albums of art and exceptional songwriting.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  5. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Ok, I think I’ve come to a conclusion of sorts here (digging the CD set now, especially the second disc)...

The Toy that we have now is the Mark Plati iteration that the album would’ve been if it was finished and issued in early 2001. The leaked version to me appears to be a later iteration that David began to utilize Tony Visconti more within. I recently read the Uncut article and it states Mark Plati doesn’t consider “Uncle Floyd” or “Afraid” part of Toy because they were written in a different headspace, even if Mark is present in the webcast video of David performing “Afraid,” claiming it to be the new single off Toy. Whatever. But listening to the alternate mixes noting how mostly all of them are Tony Visconti productions (and like half are previously unreleased alternative mixes), I’m gathering that the leaked version with “Uncle Floyd,” “Afraid,” “Liza Jane” and “In The Heat Of The Morning” was what Toy could’ve been had it been released in mid-to-late 2001. It also shows more of a sturdier bridge to the Heathen stuff, with strong evidence being the alternative version of “The London Boys” being an obvious precursor in its bass part to “Slow Burn.”

What I’m getting at is maybe at some point a Tony Visconti co-produced version of Toy showing up if such a thing actually exists. Would be a great RSD release.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I already own the Toy Album as part of the BA Deluxe Box Set. I like most of the Songs, but still having a hard time deciding if I really need the separate Toy 3 CDs Set. Do those here who have bought it, think the Alternative Versions of the same songs on the 2nd & 3rd CDs are ones they would play often or rarely? I assume I can just stream those Alternate Versions, and only can see buying this 3 CDs Set to have as part of my Bowie Collection, and maybe just buy it at a later time. Anyways, interested in thoughts of others here, who already own the BA Deluxe Box Set with the Toy Album, but also bought the separate Toy 3 CDs Set. I do realize that one’s interest in just playing the main album in most cases over the Alternative Version of the same songs is a case of YMMV.

7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Am in same boat with you. Bought BA set and can see that’s what I’m gonna listen to. Did buy Liza from iTunes. Will compare/contrast mixes on CD2 thru streaming. Can see a stand alone RSD release someday to CD2.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Played the box once this weekend. It's a enjoyable album to listen to, the band really sounds like they're having fun. I particularly liked the stripped versions on the third disc. They give a more open sound on which every instrument/singer can be heard clearly.
    What wonders me is why Liza Jane and In the Heat of the Morning are not on the "official" Toy album but only bonus tracks. There is still room on the cd and people who bought BA miss these two on the Toy album. Quality wise these songs are just as good as the other tracks.
    As for the artwork, it presents for each track who's playing which instrument for each track with a drawing of each band member. Even to such extent that it gives an idea of a band rather than a solo artist presenting an album of Bowie covers.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I just checked the price. $35 on Amazon. Think I will pass and wait for a future potential price drop. ImportCDs price is $30, although then there is shipping charge added, so assume would come out close to the price on Amazon. I still need to get the L.A. Women Deluxe Box Set, among a few other Music Items, and time to actually listen to what I already own is always a factor, when deciding to add more Music to my Collection.

maui jim likes this.
  10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I have the LA Woman Set as well. It's a different beast than the Toy box. You really have to sit back and listen to hear the songs develop, not one too play more than once or twice.
    I wouldn't wait too long with Toy, you never know how long these Bowie releases are available. The Doors boxes have proven to be slow sellers.

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

You're lucky - Warner Australia are asking $100 for the 3 CD set!! :shake:

I've just ordered one from Amazon UK for half that, but now I'll have to see if their packaging is up to the job.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

It's later Bowie doing early Bowie. What should one expect?

Dig it or don't. Whatever.

I happen to love it.

Damn, I miss him...

DME1061, Kundalini, fab4ever and 13 others like this.
  13. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

I am listening to the Toy Box now and... I gotta say I much prefer the bootleg version to this one. The boot one is more melancholy and I really liked the feel it had. This one is much more cheery and it kinda niggles me.

14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I think part of that might be caused by the bootleg opening with Uncle Floyd. It sets you in a melancholic mood.

ralphb, gamuzajoe and croquetlawns like this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Answered your own question :agree:

Markyp and croquetlawns like this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

:laughup:

17. gamuzajoe

gamuzajoe Forum Resident

Credits from the single cover:
    Produced by DAVID BOWIE & MARK PLATI
    Mixed by MARK PLATI

paulybauls and MHP like this.
  18. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Agreed, l didn't want or need the box set. I have purchased this Toy box though, and lm sure there are plenty of others like me. So, the liner notes about the recordings would have been nice.

croquetlawns, ralphb and Bink like this.
  19. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but according to paul from SDE on twitter the 3cd toy box has already been deleted by Warners!

20. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I got my Toy box cd yesterday. Nice sturdy box and I happen to love the mad cover image . Never heard any of this stuff before and am enjoying it, Bowie in full pop mode - faves so far are Karma Man and Silly Boy Blue

21. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The Tibet Version of Silly Boy Blue - this is a studio recording and not the live performance from 2001?

22. NightGoatToCairo

Some info regarding the Toy artwork if anyone is interested:

Paul Kinder from BWW wrote:

"If you were wondering about the album cover for Toy, here's the background to how it came about...

Renaissance Man (Self Portrait) was a previously unseen and exclusive print created by David Bowie that was made available to download for free on BowieArt.

This was to encourage people to sign up to the website and also enter the competition if they so wished.

The Bowieart competition began on 24th October 2000.

For the competition you were invited to re-work a new print by David Bowie that was created especially for the relaunch of Bowieart website.

The original artwork was entitled: Renaissance Man (Self Portrait) , was in fact, a scanned in manipulated photograph of David as a baby, with a more recent photograph of his face replacing his own baby face.

Judges for the competition were British artist Gavin Turk, Shez 360, and David himself. The winner had their print made into a double-signed edition of three, an artist's proof and one for each artist in the collaboration; David and the winner.

The original news story ran as follows:

BowieArt invites you to re-work the brand new print by DAVID BOWIE that was created specially for our re-launch. Simply download the print from the site and let your imagination run wild. Play around with the print in any way you wish and let us see the results of your creative energies.

By simply emailing your entries to [email protected] famous British artist Gavin Turk, Shez 360, a graduate from the RCA featured on the site and David himself will judge their favourite entry.

Bowieart will have the print made into a double-signed edition of three, an artist's proof and one for each artist in the collaboration; David and the winner. Could another art star be born through Bowieart?

Our only stipulation is that the print is supplied in jpeg, gif or bmp format and is no bigger than 100k; any other file types or sizes will not be entered.

All entries must be emailed to [email protected] marked Competition Entry no later than Friday 13 November.

Go and visit BowieArt and download your FREE David Bowie artwork.

The competition was won by Sven Piayda

David Bowie wrote: "A major difficulty with this one is that the three of us (the three judges, David Bowie, Gavin Turk and Shez 360) have very different needs when it comes to looking at stuff. For my own part I'm sometimes looking for a sense of disorientation attractively presented. Much like my needs in life, actually. In which case, for me (and I'm not alone here thank goodness), Sven wins hands down. It panders ever so slightly to infancy, leans lightly on lampoon and it's a great re-representation... and in jolly nice bright colours too. Have a cigar Sven."

Sven scanned his work, it was printed in England, David signed them and then they were sent back to Sven. An edition of three, Sven signed them, he kept one for himself and sent the other two back, one for David, one for Bowieart."

David Bowie Wonderworld-Toy album artwork

Kundalini, supernaut, Thorpy and 8 others like this.
  23. Nike

Nike Duke

i have an lp and cd BA box and every box set before , if it was a toy 12 ”box i would buy. like this just a cd box toy. I've listened to the whole box on dezzer a couple of times and it's great. tomorrow i'm going to buy a cd box

croquetlawns and Fabrice Outside like this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

Rob Byrne and Fabrice Outside like this.
  25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Shame it made him look like an advert for PG Tips.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.