Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Y

Bob Y Well-Known Member

I usually buy mint condition LP's and cassettes anyway but I've heard some of the new mixes on Youtube but of course the fidelity isn't there.

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I think I follow you, but have a listen to the mono Thank You Girl on the UK Rarities album. It's been mastered on a stereo machine and each time you expect a harmonica part (as in the stereo mix) there's a clunk that gives the impression that maybe the harmonica parts have been edited out.

3. I'd be happy if they just re-issued the mono catalog, including the box set.

ggoldenage likes this.
  4. ggoldenage

ggoldenage Forum Resident

By the logic of the post you're quoting, you shouldn't be listening to the stereo mixes as they were not original because
    1. mono was mixed first.
    2. mono was the only mix that the band provided feedback for
    3. stereo mix was slapped together in a couple hours solely because they were required by the label to do it
    4. every single engineer involved has said that it is the mono mix that is THE mix of the album.

A remix is no more damaging than the already existing stereo mixes which are themselves hardly legitimate according to all those involved.

rvintamin likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It’s not always that cut and dried.

Magnus A. and tages like this.
  6. ggoldenage

How is it not? This has been stated and documented pretty extensively. I'd be interested to hear how the mono mixes are not the definitive mixes, at least until White Album.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A number of things:

- Most of PPM was mixed simultaneously to mono and stereo.

- The Beatles didn’t have input in *any* of the mixes until Rubber Soul or so.

- Several stereo mixes were made at the same sessions as the mono mixes.

- In a few cases the stereo mixes were actually made first.

- Unlike modern remixes, the original stereo mixes were almost always made by the same engineers on the same equipment as the mono mixes.

8. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Have any of you heard the new Let It Be remix. Definite improvement! The bass drum on Two Of Us caught my attention right off. The live songs on the roof truly sound live now! Bring on the remixes.

Sgt. Abbey Road and DPC like this.
  9. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

I'm confused, are you addressing me or the post I replied to? I said I enjoy the stereo mixes, and that a remix of their entire discography is worth pursuing.

10. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Yes, and I enjoy it. I consider the remixes of the White Album and Abbey Road the worst so far. Sgt. Pepper remix is great and Let It Be remix is good.

11. ggoldenage

I do agree with you that a remix of the entire discography is worth pursuing (and it seems is being pursued). And I also agree that the original mono mixes should be preserved, but beyond those two points I think everything is fair game. While you didn't say it there are a lot of so-called purists here who are very anti-remix and then will say how the stereo mixes are the mixes to go with despite not being the standard mixes according to all involved. So, yes, that point wasn't really toward yours, but you provided a good jumping-off point for something to be said about it.

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I get that. My point is that, aside from the myriad options out there now, using AI and otherwise, if Peter Jackson's people developed this newer version that he utilized to great effect in the Get Back documentary, why not use that to help create an "official" remix?

13. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Well the other guy said they didn't use the "master" multitracks to remix the rockband mixes, so I asked what they used, and you said the multitracks...so...I don't get what the other guy meant. :confused:

The only other way to remix something not using the multitracks would be some sort of digital separation...if you listen to the moggs, they seemed to attempt that on early songs...but I wouldn't call that a "remix", and they still must have used the 4 track multitracks.

Gila likes this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nor do I.

They did use extraction techniques to split things recorded on the same tracks, but they did start from the multitracks for the 4/8-track material.

15. stanleynohj

I agree.

[​IMG]

schnulli and xilef regnu like this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

For me it is all about just having a bit of fun with an alternative listening experience, the originals will always be "the" versions, but the remixes are just additive nice little variations to enjoy

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  17. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s new technology like DeMix Pro that is being used to get these remixes. The fact that there’s leakage or more than one thing on a single track becomes meaningless as you can still make separations using it.
    That’s what the ‘unofficial’ remixes/demixes have done.

18. HotelYorba101

I am seeing this "it is like repainting the Mona Lisa" comparison quite frequently but, all due respect, I am not sure how apt it is. To me it is like apples and oranges, and these remixes are simply fun, additive musical experiences to either enjoy or ignore

19. stanleynohj

If the goal was better sounding bass and drums, and seeing as Paul and Ringo are still here......

why not re-track/overdub new bass and drums on all the songs recorded on Pro Tools for true modern clarity and punch? :yikes:

Gila and Man at C&A like this.
  20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Thank you, this is what I was trying to express in my post when I said they didn't have access to multitracks. Of course the multis were the source material, but the isolations of the individual instruments were extracted with modern tech--check the Beatles Rockband wiki for more. :)

21. stanleynohj

I don't know that they are just for fun...it seems people think the old mixes aren't good enough and have to be re-done for modern ears, etc.

I don't necessarily mind, it's not my music....but re-doing everything, a million different mixes...sometimes it seems "fun" to me, other times it's kind of exhausting and distracting from what is actually fun, and that's just the songs and performances, and not listening to and comparing "the mix".

forthlin and Man at C&A like this.
  22. HotelYorba101

Ultinately I think that the remixes give the listener just options. I can attest personally, to the remixes letting me appreciate Beatles music again after a long standing Beatles-fatique and reignited my love for all of their recordings

Ultimately I consider it a win-win, the people such as me have wonderful new options of experiencing this music while those who like the originals can stick to those as well

23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m all for new mixes as fun, new ways to listen to The Beatles.

I’m all against eliminating the original mixes as physical purchase/listening options moving forward.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Especially when the limited choices for the original mixes digitally are often less than great.

25. HotelYorba101

Yeah all should be available to listen to and easily accessible, for sure.

Billy Infinity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.