Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I should have been a little more clear, previous movie mixes of the song. Sorry

2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Well obviously George did not or else he would have used the original stereo mixes. he mono mixes
    Not really. There were issues with the first four albums being transferred in mono with a stereo head. A great many people do not like George Martin's remixes from 1986 but just like you I think they're dandy. From Sergeant Pepper on there is a lot of love for the '87s. I don't like Sergeant peppers stereo mix to begin with. In fact the only 87 that I can unequivocally say is better than a 2009 is magical mystery tour. That however is subjective.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just to clarify, George Martin had nothing to do with the 2009 remasters. And had forgotten that he had ever remixed Help! and Rubber Soul when asked about them by Giles.

4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I’m not sure there’s any evidence to support this.

Not only are all the original mixes of the 50th anniversary albums still in print, the original mixes of Let It Be and Yelluw Submarine weren’t at all affected by the availability of the Songtrack or Naked remixes that date back 23 years and 19 years, respectively.

So there’s a wealth of evidence — six albums in total — that say the original mixes aren’t going anywhere, even if we project out a couple of decades. And there is literally zero evidence to suggest they’re going to be phased out at some point in favor of the remixes.

In fact, the 2-LP Sgt. Pepper (remix and outtakes) is out of print, and has been for at least two years, which suggests that, if anything is going to go out of print at some point, it’s the anniversary releases.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original mixes of Sgt. Pepper, White Album and Abbey Road are out of print on vinyl and CD in the UK. Fact.

6. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Wow, he didn't? I could have sworn I saw something about his involvement back then. But okay, fair enough.
    That said, him forgetting about the Help and Rubber Soul remixes doesn't change my opinion that those are beautiful stereo mixes of those albums.

JosepZ likes this.
  7. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

I would definitely agree with you on the Sgt Pepper topic. The Giles mix for that is the only one that feels essential to me, as he seemed to take what was already present in the mono mix and -- with some added tricks -- replicate that mix in stereo for the first time. The stereo Sgt Pepper is the one that truly sounds like an erroneous afterthought from the mono.

datim and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I find it interesting that you are a big fan of the Capitol albums, but are repulsed by the remixes.

I’m not sure if you’ve been asked before but how do you reconcile your apparent love of
    futzing with the Beatles music originally with your dislike of futzing with their music now? :D

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't have to reconcile nothing...But I'll tell ya; The Capitol albums were not remixed...PERIOD. and by now you know my feeling towards gilesfried remixes...

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The 1987 mixes of Help!, Ticket to Ride and Dizzy Miss Lizzy are disgraces, quite the worst sounding mixes in Beatles history.

gottafeelin and paulisdead like this.
  11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

"CAPITOL"!

12. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

"Taxman" is the track most fans would want remixed, but it's also the track you can do the least with panning wise. As far as I can gather (Beatle experts that know better, please correct me) but judging by the panning the multi would something like:

• Track 1: The rhythm track (Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitars).

• Track 2: George's lead vocal (with ADT), backing vocals (John and Paul)

• Track 3: Lead guitar (Paul), - George's 2nd rhythm guitar, tambourine percussion (Ringo)

• Track 4: "Ah Ha..". vocals (George, John and Paul with ADT), cowbell (Ringo)

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I don’t think the OG mixes, sealed and new, are easy to find at affordable prices n the US.

14. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Boy am I glad I don't have your ears ;)

Detroit Rock Citizen and JosepZ like this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

According to Recording The Beatles:

1 - rhythm
    2 - tambourine/electric guitar
    3 - lead and backing vocals (2 tracks bounced together, not ADT)
    4 - cowbell/Wilson/Heath backing vocals

Guess I'm not most fans, though, as I think the stereo mix sounds just fine.

tages, supermd and paulisdead like this.
  16. Clark V Kauffman

I see nothing to suggest they are out of print although a lot of Beatles titles are “sold out” and “unavailable at this time” due to supply chain issues. And this includes original mix CDs like the 2009 standard CDs of Rubber Soul, which has never been remixed — as well as some of the new mixes.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They've been out of print since long before Covid and the current pressing plant backlog, which doesn't affect CD anyway. But you can't see it. Fair enough. Just don't tell me I'm wrong. The proof is their near total unavailability for a while now. It makes sense business wise. They want to sell the shiny new remix, why would they have two versions competing?

tages and Cool Chemist like this.
  18. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I'd be okay with a 2022 remaster that retains the dynamic range of the original releases.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also: stereo separation, lip smacks, plosives, etc.

tages, supermd, Onder and 3 others like this.
  20. Clark V Kauffman

Yes, that’s true. Supply chain issues have dried up the supply of many of the albums including those not subject to new mixes like Help! and Rubber Soul. That’s a separate issue from being out of print or being phased out. The albums, in their original mixes, are all still listed on Beatles.com, but most are also sold out at the moment.

21. Clark V Kauffman

Ok, I won’t tell you you’re wrong. I’m just pointing out that almost the entire catalogue — not just albums subject to remixes — is sold out at many retailers. So if being sold out is your only evidence that the original mixes are being phased out, it suggests all of the albums, regardless of the title, are being phased out. Maybe you’re right. But you gotta admit, that would be a little crazy for the record company to just decide not to sell any more Beatles CDs and LPs.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original mixes of Sgt. Pepper, White Album and Abbey Road have been out of print for at least two years each now. It's easy to get Rubber Soul. HMV and Rough Trade have it online. I can go to HMV in town and buy it tomorrow for £7.99 if I want. Try and find anywhere that is selling the 2009 CDs of the ones that have been remixed new.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They aren't, they are replacing the ones that have been remixed with the remixes. Of course they aren't deleting the albums completely, but they are at least temporarily deleting the original versions as and when the remixes come out. Who knows for how long?

I know as a fact that in the UK this is happening. I've been keeping an eye on The Beatles CDs for ages. Mainly because I don't actually own the 2009 CDs yet! :)

Classicrock, tages and Cool Chemist like this.
  24. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Are we still talking about these Beatles? Hasn't anyone heard that there is a new tribute album of Yoko Ono covers that MUST be heard by December 31, 2022 or we REALLY will turn into pumpkins!!!

25. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

:help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.