Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I think you are correct concerning the Japanese import. I have the Aftermath Records CD (thanks to Jeff).

rene had mentioned the band Gun earlier when we were discussing the UK band the Knack. I've been listening to Gun's debut album (Repetoire's reissue), and it's very good: Heavy powerful psych at times, sort of like Cream, but some songs are softer and melodic. "Sunshine" is on the Real Life Permanent Dreams set. Besides "Sunshine," I'm also particularly fond of "The Sad Saga of the Boy and the Bee," "Rupert's Travels" (an instrumental), and "Take Off." Once again, I have to thank Jeff for introducing me to yet another band! :righton:

2. Gazman

Gazman Active Member

I recently got the EMI comp 'Insane Times', and I must say I think it's pretty good. The sound on the new remasters is very natural and unspoilt.

I think it's worth getting for 'Is It Love?' by Jon alone. I have a crackly 45 but it sounds lovely here. Also 'World Spinning Sadly' from the master tapes is great.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That Insane Times comp is really tempting me!

Just picked up some great pop-psych today:

- The Smoke It's Smoke Time - Older Repertoire CD (Sounds awesome!)

- Blossom Toes We Are Ever So Clean - Remaster (Can't wait to listen to hear this album!)

- Psychedelia At Abbey Road - Quite a few cool tracks on this one :agree: (including an alternate mix of The Pretty Things "Talkin' About The Good Times" with heaps more Mellotron during the middle section :love: )

4. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I'll add another recommendation for the Insane Times British Psych comp. "Is It Love" by JON is amazing as is "Last Cloud Home" by the Orange Bicycle. Thanks for the Blossom Toes recommendation - I'll have to add that to my list. I've been listening to quite a bit of UK Psych lately (maybe in anticipation of the Piper At The Gates of Dawn release), notably:

Mighty Baby - Mighty Baby (wow!)
    Kaleidoscope - Dive into Yesterday (comp)
    Psychedelia at Abbey Road 1965 - 1969 (comp)
    Real Life, Permanent Dreams, A Cornucopia of British 1965 - 1970 (comp)

5. child of nature

Great listening choices! Mighty Baby is among my favorite albums; their Jug of Love, though a little different from the debut, is just as wonderful, imho. Kaleidoscope is also a favorite band of mine. I also recommend the Blossom Toes' We Are Ever So Clean for your next British psych purchase. :agree:

I've got to get that Insane Times comp!

6. child of nature

That Repertoire Smoke CD is awesome! :agree:

7. glea

glea Forum Resident

Gun was mentioned in another thread... I had to check to see if I still had this one... I did, an original UK release! Wonder where that came from I remember having US copies of both lps.... The record fairy I guess.

8. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

I have finally gotten around to checking out the Leftbankeisms collection that was mentioned earlier in this thread. The Yvonne Vitale/Michael Brown stuff is...well, she's not a pro, is she? It's kind of like croaky karaoke. Who is she?

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

She was Michael Brown's girl friend at some point. Awful stuff.

Make sure you get the Michael Brown story (4 parts). There are some cool unreleased tracks and rarities. One is a great song by Scott Trusty called Quater Horses that was written by Brown. Another by the Beckies called Story. Love that Beckies album but they left some wonderful tracks unreleased.

10. Clarkophile

I thought it was just interviews. There's tracks there too?:righton:
    Thanks, Mark (Again!)

11. child of nature

I just received the Insane Times comp today, and I'm listening now. Some initial observations:

Peter Mew handled the remastering. Seems to be a mixture of mono and stereo tracks. (I didn't mind Mew's work on the Syd comp Wouldn't You Miss Me?, but most of the time, I do mind it.)

The version of "Dandelion Seeds" by July is the single version, which is interesting. I prefer the album version, however, because it is just more "psychedelic" I guess. :laugh:

Ipsissimus are on here doing "Hold On" which is very good, but I prefer Sharon Tandy and Les Fleur De Lys' version.

For some reason, the Penny Peeps "Model Village" sounds a little different on this comp--I need to compare it with the Mojo box.

12. Clarkophile

Song of the Week idea

I am completely, utterly taken with this Fallen Angels CD. I had that moment of clarity today where it all just clicked for me. Wonderful stuff!

I had an idea for supplementing this thread (rather than starting a new one) with kind of a sub-thread wherein folks could write about their Obscure Pop/Psych Song of the Week---sort of like our own version of the long-running SHtv thread that features people writing in with their current faves. (I'll even allow Garage tunes for Rene!:D )
    The idea is to distill your week's listening habits into one song that epitomizes that particular week for you. Of course, I'd welcome lengthy dissertations on why you dig a track, but if you're disinclined to write a novel-length appreciation, just name the tune and the album so we know the source for purposes of tracking it down.

Participation in this activity is not mandatory.;) I'm just interesting in hearing what everyone else is grooving to. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post mine, but I'd love it if I woke up to read some of your Songs of the Week.
    It's what I call good toast-and-coffee reading.

13. child of nature

We didn't steer you wrong! I'm glad you are enjoying the Fallen Angels disc. I felt the same way about it--I kept listening to it, and then it clicked for me, too. Brilliant album--really intense and emotional, with a biting satire ("I Really Love My Mother"), too.

I haven't had much time for some real listening this week; I've just been too busy. When I've had some time I've been watching Beatles DVDs. :p My Beatles obsession must be indulged!

A song to sum up my psych listening this week: Los Mac's - "La Muerte De Mi Hermano" (The Death of My Brother) though the band themselves hated this track. It's very psychedelic--machine gun and bomb sound effects, great bass line, too. I just don't know Spanish! They sing in English mainly, however. It's hard for me to just choose one song from their Kaleidoscope Men album. So can I through "Tension Extrema" and "A Traves Del Cristal" (Through the Glass) in the mix, too?

14. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Ok Mr. Boreen , gimme a day or so and I will get back atcha with a first entry of the week of a favorite pop psych(with perhaps a hint of garage) nugget. Really glad ya found that Fallen Angels worthwhile. Definitely a "lost in the mysts" gem. Right now I am busy listening to all the Bonzo Dog band remasters which I just got a hold of. Not exactly pertinent to this thread although a few things the Bonzos did might fit the theme.I'm The Urban Spaceman mayhaps??

15. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

"El amor despues de los 20 aƱos" is my favorite track. Real trippy. No idea what is means though.

[​IMG]

16. Clarkophile

It was more difficult than I expected to pick a favourite tune from last week.
    The Chocolate Watchband and Jason Crest were both contenders, but I've gotta go with the Fallen Angels and "One of the Few Ones Left".
    This song dazzles me. It sounds like it could've been released yesterday. And what a tasteful use of strings, especially during the transitions. Sort of evocative of Love's Forever Changes sound.

Fox's "Butterfly" was also right up there. Anybody know anything about the For Fox Sake album? Is the rest of it as good as this track? I have this track on a comp.

17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Ok - here is my recommended selection for the week. What Will The New Day Bring - Disraeli. Here is the short description included in the liner notes of the Fading Yellow Vol. 2 CD on which it can be found . They are from Astori, Oregon. They made 4 singles and this fab mix of folk-rock/pop sike is the perfect track to kick-start this CD with, right? This 45 came in a cool color PS which adorns the cover of the Fading Yellow CD. IMO the contrast between the gorgeous harmony singing and lovely instrumentation and the lyrics describing a doomed young girl and the stalker/murderer lurking outside her window make this one a true haunter. Note to Mr. Boreen - I have the For Fox Sake album and will dig it outta the stacks sometime this week. Don't really remember it so well so I will give it a listen and report back to ya.

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It's an okay album. Nothing spectacular but just off the top of my head I think there are a few good tracks besides Butterfly. I think its one of those for the stack of "will buy when I'm running out of things to buy."

Got a copy of Insane Times last week. I enjoy it far more than I thought I would. It's sequenced really well and a few of the tracks are in amazing quality. Also found out that the CD packaging was a last minute thing (you can tell) because EMI originally intended it for download only. But for me its a perfect compliment to the Sanctuary box. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

19. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I just got word that the wonderful Marmalade Skies website is now down and will not be back for the foreseeable future - what a drag! :shake:

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The Web provider raised their price on Mick. He wrote to us today. I'm trying to find out what the cost is so that maybe I can fund it until a solution is found. I don't think I have enough web space to host it but there will be a solution. That site CAN NOT go away. :shake:

21. child of nature

I'll put money toward it!! I love that site!! :eek: Maybe if he could set up a PayPal donation button, those of us who frequent the site could contribute a little along to keep it running. :( :(

This is too depressing. First the problems at Sanctuary and now this. Please let Mick know that there are visitors who want to help.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The problem right now is that Mick has been distracted and I'm concerned that he isn't going to deal with it. I agree with you that the money can be gotten. Let's see what he says.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I Got the twofer July & The Second of July from Midnight this year, and it's an EEC release on Mason Records.

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't have a constant flow of new psych coming in to regularly have a track of the week! However, I did pull my copy of Procession today for the first time in years. The standout for me was Mind Magician. I'll have to remember it for a comp.

I did buy the Love, Peace and Poetry US comp this week, but the thing was absolutely filthy, and I'm out of solution for the VPI, so it'll have to wait!

25. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I'm a couple months late, but i just wanted to say i love the early Status Quo stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.