The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

'83 over here too.
    I've seen Bob and the drummers live, but not Jerry and Phil.

US Blues and YouCantWin like this.
  2. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

I'd heard the band intermittently as far back as I can remember because of my dad, but I only started digging in and collecting tapes around '92 when I was in high school. My first chance to see them was in Boston, Fall '94 (unfortunately not the 30 Trips release) -- that was my only show. It wasn't a very good one, but I'm glad I caught them before the end.

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm from Australia. I don't know what that means.

I actually love the packaging of the Winterland '73 and '77 sets - small, sturdy and effective. I much prefer it to the huge things we get these days.

4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Different strokes and all that. I've said this before, but one of my longtime Deadhead friends isn't a fan of any of that weird stuff. He likes the songs. He literally groaned when they went into "Playin" at Oxford '88. This is someone my age who started seeing the Dead as a teenager.

trd, KCWhistle, Islands and 1 other person like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A box score is a shorthand method of presenting the stats and score of a baseball game. It includes runs scored for inning by each team, and the stats for the individual players on each side. These would be printed in the newspaper the day after a game, and still are. It is related to a shorthanded method of keeping score during the game, although with differences.

6. US Blues

And it's one-in-ten-thousand that comes for the show!

7. uzn007

Same, same.

US Blues likes this.
  8. uzn007

I like "Day Job." It's a musical cousin to "Might as Well" (with a more practical attitude). It's a hell of a lot of fun to play.

notesofachord, trd, SJR and 2 others like this.
  9. US Blues

11 January 1979- Nassau

Bobby is learning to play slide guitar during this opening Sugaree. I do not know what this portends, but I'll have to play it out to discover the consequences of his choices.

AintGotHalfOf, SJR, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  10. uzn007

Don't sell it short. It's in the running for worst lyrics in an ostensible love song ever.

11. uzn007

It was 28 degrees (about -2C) here in Raleigh when I got out of bed and that was quite cold enough for this former New Englander, thank you very much.

12. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

13. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Time for some Hornsby/Welnick era Dead. I've had my eye on this release for little while, as I liked Dick's Picks volume 9.
    1990/09/18-20 New York, NY (Road Trips Vol. 2 No 1)
    [​IMG]

I gotta admit, I've grown to really enjoy Jerry's late era singing voice. There's a certain charm to it.

19 degrees F over here......

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  14. US Blues

Balmy! Current 20 here in the desert, with a forecast high of 46. :winkgrin:

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I thought of the song one summer night a few years back when I slept with the window open and I did in fact wake up to the sound of street cats making love.

16. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

It’s currently 12 F here, and we’re looking at a high of 22. Perfect day to stay inside and listen to some GOGD. I think I’m going to thrown on 11/24/72 and complete my trip through that tour.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

currently 2 here

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Watch the whole scene for a little Bob Saget.
    I can honestly say that I’ve never seen Full House or America’s Funniest Home Videos, so my memories of the man’s work are mainly this scene and The Aristocrats. Duality of man and everything.

19. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Those Nassau '79 shows are legit. Rediscovered them a couple months back, got me started on an early '79 listening project that got blown off the tracks by the arrival of the mighty FoxBox. Need to get back to that. Interesting era.

Also, I find JRAD to be very entertaining. I wish the Dead had attacked the catalog like that, especially in the 80s. But like most of the jam bands, I find the music pretty disposable. Enjoy the phatty jamz, move on to the next. I've listened to dozens of JRAD shows, dug the hell out of them, but I couldn't point you to any particular one as being special.

20. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

[​IMG]

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The entire MSG 90 run is worth hearing........not just the officially released parts.

One of their last great runs.

22. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Noted. This is only the 4th post-'83 GoGD live release I've heard, with DxP9, Dylan and The Dead, and Without A Net being the others, (and having checked, only 8th or 9th post-'77 live release I've listened to!) outside of some cuts that appear on compilation albums like So Many Roads, etc... So I have a lot of music ahead of me.

ARK, US Blues, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  23. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Hearing that crowd screaming when Dark Star begins after the Space jam on the 2nd disc of RT 2.1 made me smile. I have not listened to any post-70s Dark Stars until now, (not counting what is on Grayfolded) and I know how rare it became after '74, so I can only imagine how elated everyone in the audience was any time this tune appeared in the sets.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I can honestly say that I've never seen Full House but AFHV was a family tv staple for a while in my 80's childhood.

texron, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  25. uzn007

And they say romance is dead.