The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I barely know you!

Eyes74 and US Blues like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It is more or less a bit by now, but in all seriousness, give me Looks Like Rain over To Lay Me Down anytime. any. time.
    Our power went out for like 90 minutes last night, right when I was about to start making dinner. Threw off our whole night.
    See! it's a thing.
    There's a thread around here about phrases from TV shows you use in real life, if there were a movie one, I'd have to submit 'Boo this man' and 'I seen him.' I saw that movie at least 10 times before I realized that was Bob Saget in that scene. (And I did watch Full House and AFV as a kid, friday night was one of the few times we got to watch TV until 10 o'clock.)

texron, US Blues, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been surprised by how often I've caught myself thinking, 'This feels like 78 rather than 76' during some of these versions of Let It Grow, and there's even a Samson and Delilah, 6/27 maybe, that has that quality. Plus Jerry in the closing choruses of some of these versions of Might as Well and Donna doing some little unexpected interjections at various points. It's definitely not what the 76 stereotype calls to mind.

I've actually been wondering about The Other One over the past few days, just thinking about its conspicuous absence from June 76. (I couldn't resist checking just now, and it appears I'll be hearing it again soon with the July shows.)

Meanwhile, I just wrapped up the Chicago shows last night. Official releases are in bold:

6/26/76: Sugaree, Cassidy, Looks Like Rain, Scarlet Begonias, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Playin’>St. Stephen>Wheel>Playin’, Crazy Fingers>Stella Blue, OMSN
    6/27/76: Looks Like Rain, Might as Well, Let It Grow>drums>Let It Grow>Wharf Rat, Samson and Delilah, H>S>F>Sugar Magnolia
    6/28/76: Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Scarlet Begonias, High Time, Eyes>Happiness Is Drumming>Wharf Rat>Dancin’>Wheel>Around and Around, NFA
    6/29/76: Mission in the Rain, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Music Never Stopped>Might as Well, Playin’>drums>Wheel>Playin’, St. Stephen>NFA>St. Stephen>OMSN

Why, when they released a big June 76 box, did they focus on the first half of the month? Absolutely perverse. I thought these shows were way better. Not much in the way of bust-outs or major surprises aside from the out-of-left-field Happiness Is Drumming on 6/28, which I'd never heard before and was super into, plus the first 76 Peggy-O on 6/26 and the second on 6/29. I preferred the 6/26 -- the 6/29 was way too slow. I dunno, that's a song that doesn't emotionally engage me unless it's taken at just the right tempo. I'll be curious to see at what point in the chronology that starts happening on a more consistent basis.

I'm flying through these 76 shows, and doing so with very little evidence of the setlist fatigue I fully expected to experience. Probably gonna take a couple days before I hit up the July Orpheum run, but I already know there's some fantastic stuff in those, so I'm looking forward to them.

4. Spazros likes this.
  5. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

^ I think the 1st show was @ FreakBall (Brooklyn Bowl - mid Aughts) and Joe Russo played it previously w/ a Led Zeppelin cover band called Bustle in your Hedgerow, not sure if the line was the same as JRAD.

I got on the bus w/ official releases in 92/93 (Bear’s Choice, Europe 72, Skeletons), had a ticket to one of the Deer Creek 94 shows, was not allowed to go (still living w/ parents before College) I did see Phish June of 94, my love for the Dead really began when I got my 1st live tapes summer of 94 and started collecting shows.

Hooked up w/ a head who went to RIT (Bill W.), saw he his 1st show (as I recall 77 or 78 (went to the Alaska 80’s shows) had a killer stereo (I learned about Rotel & Nakamichi) and an excellent collection of tapes and I helped add to his collection via internet tape trees while in college (I bought 2 used Nak decks).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Crispy Rob, ARK, WaterLemon and 3 others like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They focused on shows recorded to reels. Some of June 76 was apparently only recorded to cassette. The cassette sourced stuff I've heard sounds good though.

7. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Nice! And I have little hope for Sunday. Niners will just run the ball down our throats and their DLine is going to humiliate our overrated OL. Dallas doesn't handle being the favorite very well, if at all.

8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just exactly perfect and a sublime thing of beauty on the original Garcia studio version. Very challenging song to pull off live. I wouldn’t know where to begin to try and track down a live performance and say, wow, this is pretty great stuff.

9. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

74 comes to mind, I “recall” 1 or 2 during the summer.

10. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I thought 9/18/90 was a great version.

Crispy Rob, SJR, Eyes74 and 2 others like this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I think the acoustic versions from 1980 are generally the best.

13. trd

trd Forum Resident

JRAD lineup is Bustle plus Tom Hamilton

First JRAD show was the NYC Freaks Ball January 2013 at Brooklyn Bowl. Good write up from an attendee here looking back 5 years on,
    Looking Back At The 1st Joe Russo's Almost Dead Show 5 Years Later

my first jrad shows were numbers 6 and 7 ever, October 10/11 2014. They didn’t start really touring until 2015

A little history of the NYC Freaks and Freaks Ball
    https://nysmusic.com/2018/01/24/freaks-ball-then-and-now/

14. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I was just listening to Dick's Pick 6 the other day, including "Day Job." I got a huge chuckle from listening to Jerry Garcia tell me to keep my day job--this from a man who considered living in his car a perfectly acceptable alternative to getting a job, let alone keeping one. LOL

It almost sounds like a lyrical prank coming from them, to be honest.

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Bobby should know. He lived in the room right next to them.
    [​IMG]

In Joplin, Pigpen found a flame with whom he could not only belt the blues but enjoy other passionate pursuits as well. Lesh wondered if the line in the Grateful Dead song, “Looks Like Rain,” that goes, “Did you ever waken to the sound of street cats making love?” referred to Pigpen and Janis.

According to Weir, there’s no doubt about it. He told a story about the time the band lived communally in an old summer camp in Forest Knolls.

“I was living in a room next door to Pigpen, and the walls were thin plywood, almost like cardboard,” he said. “When Janis came over, I didn’t get a lot of sleep.”

Lib at Large: Grateful Dead’s Bob Weir and Phil Lesh reflect on bandmate Pigpen – Marin Independent Journal

ARK, AintGotHalfOf, adamos and 4 others like this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Currently listening to...

Dick's Picks Vol. 24: Cow Palace, Daly City, CA 3/23/74 (2013 Real Gone reissue)

[​IMG]

Let's hear how The Wall of Sound passed the audition.

17. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

Thank you very much for clarifying my memory w/ you addition information!

US Blues and trd like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

dgold’d ;)

US Blues likes this.
  19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

That’s my thinking all along. It’s a very tongue and cheek song. As opposed to “If The Shoe Stinks”......which is more a serious mean spirited old man yells at cloud downer.

20. Great 22 minute video on Grateful Dead- S F 49ers relationship. Lots of Weir in interviews , where we learn:

1. Jerry found the ups and downs of a game to be emotionally painful.
    2. Weir’s first musical influence was Mario Lanza!
    3. The Dead made sure their concert breaks included conclusions of 49er games when both of them were playing at the same time.
    4 The Dead made sure they had the NFL Ticket broadcasts on their travel buses.
    5. Bob was a middle linebacker and back up QB in school before dropping out to join The Dead
    6. Playing in the Band is their football-Music description of the intuit, innovation and team work that creates magic in both.

Lots of fun, definitely worth a look.

Crispy Rob, Jamcoy, ARK and 4 others like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Personal Foul! Unsportsmanlike Conduct! :nyah:

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

How do I not have this as a shirt?

23. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I’m not much of a sports fan, but I enjoyed reading this, especially the last point comparing jamming and team sports.

As a fan, I would add on the sense of community for both sports and Dead. I’m pretty sure my neighbour’s feelings about The Leafs are as strong as mine about the Dead. He’s got a room of framed hockey cards, I’ve got shelves of GD cds and books. We both have too many t-shirts and hats of our “teams.”

24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

25. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

Ha ha - is he on SHF’s, I miss his knowledge !

trd likes this.