Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

J.A.W. and Starwanderer like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listening to this 1991 Blue Note CD reissue of Kenny Dorham's United Artists and Pacific Jazz albums again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This is the building that stands on the spot where Philo Records and Aladdin Records once stood. Philo was at 423 West 5th St, Los Angeles, and Aladdin was next door at 427.

Both buildings were demolished for this deluxe apartment tower, which was finished this past year.

[​IMG]

Going back in time, this 5th street neighborhood, where Lester Young paid many visits in the 1940's, looked more street friendly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, was a bit disappointed, not bad but not Dorham's best efforts either in my opinion; the dates sounded a bit like generic hard bop to me. They were better in my memory. Oh well :)

6. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

one of my favorite album covers.

7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

The results of my year end online shopping spree has resulted in new boxes of LPs arriving at my door every day since Friday (including Sunday). My mailman has taken an interest in the records I am buying. We have been having crummy weather and he slips them inside my screen door. He also rings the doorbell too, in hopes I will rescue them from whatever weather we are having. Initially he just asked about me buying LPs in general. Since the first time he is asking about the records themselves and we have chatted about 5 minutes each day after that. As for me I took advantage of Speaker's Corner, Analogue Productions repressing some of their popular titles. This coincided with Mike from The 'In' Groove doing a year-end video on his YouTube channel of his Top 100 Analog Records. As of the end of 2021 I have 51 out of the 100 titles. The week culminates on Friday when my second Blue Note 20" x 20" framed wall art is schedule to arrive.

Tonight l was planning on listening to two LPs but I am thinking I'm gonna need to do a double play on the first LP. Thanks to Mike from The 'In' Groove for both of these recommendations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ron Carter – Golden Striker (Live At Theaterstübchen, Kassel) - In+Out Records – IOR LP 77133-1 (2 LP) - Germany - Jun 12, 2021
    I don't know what is more impressive: The sound on this disk or the performance. You feel as though you are there due to the accuracy and immediacy of the live sound. The trio is honoring Ron Carter's 80th birthday in a live performance from Germany. You see their talent and Ron Carter's versatility-not that I needed proof of that. The trio is really tight on both smooth numbers and they swing like mad on some uptempo numbers. The disc just ended and it is getting a second spin, right now We'll see if I ever get to the on deck disk.

[​IMG]

Coleman Hawkins – Wrapped Tight - Analogue Productions – AIPJ-87, Impulse! – A-87 ( 2 x 45 RPM LP)

As I mentioned briefly I will be getting some more records Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Friday will culminate in the arrival of another Blue Note framed print. My wife and I both picked this same print independently-it spoke to both of us.

[​IMG] .

8. fugitivepete

fugitivepete Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Eric Dolphy - In Europe, Vol. 1

Eric Dolphy - bass clarinet (3, 4), flute (1, 2)
    Chuck Israels - bass (1)
    Bent Axen - piano (2, 4)
    Erik Moseholm - bass (2, 4)
    Jørn Elniff - drums (2, 4)

Worth it for one of the most swinging covers of Oleo ever recorded alone.

9. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

One of my favorite twofers!

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

All this discussion about Prez made me want to pull out this set again, so disc 3.

[​IMG]

Stu02, peter1, Six String and 10 others like this.
  11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

12. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Very sad news. He is one of my favorites too.
    NP:
    Khan Jamal - Dark Warrior
    Jamal, vibes; Charles Tyler, alto & baritone sax; Johnny Dyani, bass; Leroy Lowe, drums.
    This is a recording that I often return to. Excellent playing by everyone and seven strong beautiful compositions, six by Jamal and one by Tyler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  13. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JOHN COLTRANE | ASCENSION_EDITION_I | IMPULSE | RECORDING 1965 | RELEASE 1966 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AS_95 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Ascension" was one of my very first jazz albums - and while I didn't "get it" completely, I certainly enjoyed it a lot. I've had a japanese mini LP for years which contains both renditions, but mainly listened to Edition II since the CD (as most if not all digital copies) had it placed before the Edition I, which, for me at the time, made it look like an interesting to have but less accomplished alternative take.

Anyway, it took me years to finally buy this on vinyl and I am very happy I went for Edition I. Not only is it the "true" Ascension as first released in early 1966, but it has me looking at this album from a slightly different angle.

Needless to say that, when I first listened to this album, I had no idea who all these players were and what their contribution to (Free) Jazz was, apart Trane's Quartet members and Freddie Hubbard. But looking at the line-up now, with (among others) Marion Brown, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp and John Tchicai, it almost feels like the biggest thing in music history.

About this pressing: This copy is exceptionally clean. I had to add some "yellowing" in PS to prevent the seams and corners to merge with the white background - it really is this white. The vinyl seems unplayed and bears the "LW" sign for Longwear Plating in the runout, but it was too faint for me to catch with my camera.

14. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmy Cobb Quartet: Cobb's Corner

[​IMG]

15. Berthold

Jimmy Cobb's Mob: Cobb's Groove

[​IMG]

Fischman, Six String, Bradd and 4 others like this.
  16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Freddie Hubbard The Hub of Hubbard (MPS,POCJ-2165)

Fischman, SJR, frightwigwam and 6 others like this.
  17. Berthold

Jimmy Cobb: Four Generations Of Miles

[​IMG]

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

19. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Nubya Garcia Source (Concord, UCCO-1223), SHM-CD.

20. Berthold

Jimmy Cobb Quartet: Jazz In The Key Of Blue

[​IMG]

21. [​IMG]

Soul of Things | Tomasz Stanko Quartet (ECM) CD

Double Bass – Slawomir Kurkiewicz / Drums – Michal Miskiewicz
    Piano – Marcin Wasilewski / Trumpet – Tomasz Stanko

Recorded August 2001, Rainbow Studio, Oslo. Playing time is just under 75 minutes.

Issued in slipcase with 16 page booklet. The album cover is a still from "Éloge de l'amour".

An excellent, atmospheric and generally very moody sounding 13 track recording from the late great trumpet player Tomasz Stanko accompanied by the Marcin Wasilewski Trio.

I'll never figure why it took me two decades to get wise to this one!

[​IMG]

22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I identify the great Peter Bernstein on the right, one of my favorite contemporary guitarists.
    There is a fine live album on quartet featuring Brad Mehldau listened to on Spotify some time ago.

Six String and Berthold like this.
  23. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads
    [​IMG]

kiddo4, mwheelerk, peter1 and 11 others like this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

David Bowie "Toy" from the latest (fifth) box set, "Brilliant Adventure." This is the first official release of the album.

[​IMG]

This is a fascinating album. . . Bowie in 2000 re-arranging and re-recording songs from '64 to '71. The label decided not to release it at the time. Pretty darned awesome sound on this edition, as is the case for these box sets.

Toy (David Bowie album) - Wikipedia

Just released is a three cd set including more material. . . I may get this in time.

Irish51, SJR, Six String and 4 others like this.
  25. Berthold

Jimmy Cobb: New York Time

[​IMG]