Cart for VPI Traveler

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kray, Jan 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kray

Kray Sleuthing Thread Starter

I got a great deal on a VPI Traveler v2 from a friend of mine, and wondering what cart I should look at under my scenario.

I'm 80% digital, so vinyl is not my first choice, but do enjoy it when I have the time to sit down, etc. I recently purchased a Darlington MM-6 to use with the VPI.

With that in mind what would be a good general cart under $500 used? Some options I've read about 2m Blue, Nag MP200, Grado Black. I know most of these are a synergy thing so hoping those with experience close to my setup have some suggestions. TIA

2. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I don’t know how much they cost used, but I had a Soundsmith Carmen with my Traveler and it was the perfect combination. I can’t recommend it more with that turntable.

Kray and 500Homeruns like this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

B. Scarpia and Kray like this.
  4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Or the SoundSmith Otello:
    Soundsmith - Otello ES High Output MI Phono Cartridge

Agitater likes this.
  5. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I had a Hana EL on mine. If that is a MM Phono pre, try the Hana EH.

I hated the 2m Blue. Sounded sterile to me.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, what he says, that's the easiest. If you decide on AT, go on over to the goknight site and order either the AT-VM540ML or VM740ML, 10% discount, free shipping, and no sales tax. Can't go very wrong, MM-6 has 100pF input capacitor (which could also be removed, but OK as is), just use low capacitance interconnects to keep the capacitance low for the flattest response.

But if you can swing it, the Nag MP-200 does have a pretty big following here, will give you maybe a bit warmer sound, touch rolled off. Not quite the tracker that the AT is, but if you are a more casual listener, may be just the ticket. Not nearly the value as the AT these days at double the cost, but may be worth it.

B. Scarpia and Kray like this.
  7. Kray

Thanks for all the recommendations

How do you get the 10% off at goknight?

8. Davey

The code pops up all over the place on the site. It is currently HAPPYNEWYEAR.

Kray likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i had a traveler 2 also and the tonearm is quite good, used an Audio Technica ART9 if you ever want to try a moving coil cartridge.
    VPI used to demo them with Ortofon 2M Red, a good economical pairing.

Kray likes this.
  10. Kray

Thanks! I guess I waited too long... it was in stock earlier, went to checkout and now it's out of stock :mad:

11. Davey

Yea, I don't think they get a very big supply, people around here jump on them whenever there is a mention of discount, gotta be quick, I shoulda sent you a PM first :)

But if you aren't in a big hurry, just sign up for notification when they are back in stock. They always have a 10% discount going, they just rotate the codes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Kray likes this.
  12. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Another endorsement for this cart. Switched to it around thanksgiving from 2M blue and really digging it.

Kray likes this.
  13. Kray

yeah I just signed up for alert on both 540 and 740. See which one I get first. My preamp is being built so still a week out at least.

Davey likes this.
  14. Kray

Just an update.... still waiting for preamp, but I went to order an "open box" 740ML from HifiHeaven... placed the order didn't hear anything for a day so called them. They usually always answer the phone... so I asked he said, unfortunately it sold before my order, he said he can send a new one for only 10% more, once back in stock, about 2weeks. told him I'll look elsewhere since I'd like it faster than that.

He then asked me what about a 750SH? said sure but didn't want to spend that much. He said I'll send this one out today for same 10% above the original 740ML open box price. So TL;DR got the 750SH for $320 shipped :righton:

Davey likes this.
  15. Davey

Nicely done, just make sure you inspect it closely before mounting, I don't think their quality control is quite what it used to be with the high demand lately and people are fairly often seeing skewed cantilevers.

Kray and patient_ot like this.
  16. Kray

Thanks for the tip.. will definitely give it a once over

17. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

Hi, What you need to take into account is the the Tone Arm is a Low Eff Mass arm at 10- 6 grams. This means you need a high compliance cart to go with it. So the Hana mentioned although a great cart would not be a good match, however something like the Art 9 or & would be, if you could afford it. However you would need a head amp or SUT. Of the MM carts the Ortofon Bronze or Black is about the best available, but there are many, many better MC carts out there than the Black. Another way is to get a V15 V & put a new Jilco stylus on it.

Cheers

18. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

The late Harry Weisfeld liked Dynavectors quite a bit on his turntables. A (used) DV20-X2 mc might cause you to listen to vinyl a bit more.

iluzun likes this.
  19. Davey

That's the second time you've tried to kill off HW around here, but to paraphrase Mark Twain, I think the reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

500Homeruns likes this.
  20. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

sorry, I keep saying Harry when I mean (the late) Jonathan. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Davey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.