Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

I was just interested in hearing what everyone is listening to; doesn't necessarily have to be new acquisitions.

Procession? "Mind Magician"? See, this is why I'm interested: more stuff to add to my ever-growing list.:righton:

2. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

:yikes: Only 20 members into psychedelic music? Don't think so, at least 21 :agree: My favourite psychedelic comp was made by the kind SHF fellow member seed_drill and comprises "the best" 100 psychedelic songs from the UK and the best 100 from the USA and Canada. It's a great aural experience... I Try to post a track list later. BTW, don't ya mess with Moonie :realmad: ! He could be precise if necessary, but fortunately it wasn't necessary too often :D

3. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Music is dying! One has to be blind not to see it.

On the positive note - if this helps - as I own several servers on the net I'll be glad to provide hosting services for a minimal fee (or for free if need be) for this site. PM me for details.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

That's a nice offer. I think he found a solution and he's told us that it will be back on Tuesday. However, I'll contact him and let him know of your offer.

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes, this is a precious resource not to be lost!

6. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes, this is a precious resource not to be lost!

Mark, I hope you saved the Toytown list - that was terrific! :)

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

If nothing else for all of those comp track lists. Even after 7 years I still go there for that section. Strange to think that its the only web site of its kind.

I have the list and the write ups and some of the memorabilia that is mine but Mick is one man library of clippings. When the site comes back I'm going to start downloading everything I can just in case.

Paul - since you're into these details, Mick got an email from one half the Jon Plum duo (David Plummer) who said that they were also Annie Rocket Band. This is the main benefit of having that site up there. So many of these folks come forward when they find their names in lights.

8. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

Personal taste of course, but I found that album to be really dull. There's certainly no other track which in any way compares with the majesty of Butterfly. It's mostly very boring pedestrian hairy rock music with lots of organ. One track (Birthday card, I think) sounds a little like the heavier moments of Plastic Penny.

Great artwork and title, but there really is too much interesting music out there to waste time with stuff like this. IMHO, etc.

9. Clarkophile

Welcome to the fray, Lobo. :righton:

And hey, nobody loves Moonie more than I. I spent many, many years actively studying every nuance of Keith's playing before realizing it was fruitless to try and emulate him. :laugh: He was the best Keith Moon-type drummer in the world...and a HUGE influence on sixties drummers and beyond.

10. Clarkophile

Thanks for the review. :righton: I appreciate the help.

11. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

He certainly was! :righton:

12. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Talking about obscure Psych stuff I wander if any of you is familiar with a recently reissued Israeli Psych gem - one of the rarest albums ever, see details here:

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102318

It seems there were Psych people all over the globe ;)

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Well, I finally got the time to listen to all of that FOX album and I definitely concur with florette69 that most of it is overblown , generic sounding and pedestrian. IMO a lotta late 60s and early 70s psych suffers from the dreaded hammering of the Hammond organ malady and this album certainly qualifies. That said , there were a few other tunes on it worth listening to - As She Walks Away and Birthday Card. But I would not spend any time searching this one down or much money for that matter. Fortunately this is one of those records I picked up for pocket change at a thrift shop a few decades back and I will be keeping it for when I want to hear Butterfly.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

OK, how 'bout the new comp on the late, lamented Castle/Sanctuary, "Cries from the Midnight Circus?" I'd love to hear Quintessence singing those lines about getting it straight at Notting Hill Gate, so... reviews, anyone? Which version of "Deflecting Grey" is on it - and while I'm asking... how many different version of the Pretty Things' "Deflecting Grey" are there, anyway??

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

There are 3 versions:

-Regular Mono Single version
    -Longer Mono Acetate version, with alternate vocals
    -BBC version

16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

OK, the timing of "D.G." on that comp is 4.31. And which one's on the "Psychedelia at Abbey Road?"

17. Laservampire

The 4:31 version is the single version. "Deflecting Grey" isn't on the Psychedelia At Abbey Road comp (it wasn't recorded at Abbey Road), that CD has "Talkin' About The Good Times" and "Walking Through My Dreams".

(The "Talkin' About The Good Times" on that Abbey Road CD is an alternate mix actually, it's very cool...)

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thanks for all that info, Ben, esp. clearing up my confusion about the Abbey Road comp., which I'll now have to track down!!

19. Laservampire

It's a great comp, I only got it myself a few weeks ago. The alternate mix of "Talkin' About.." blows the regular version out of the water. It's slightly drier and the whole guitar solo section has this amazing trippy chaotic mellotron part that you don't hear in the regular single mix.

Glad I could be of some assistance :righton:

20. Clarkophile

Thanks for the review, Rene. :righton: I'll be sure to check out those songs you mentioned, but it does seem clear that "Butterfly" is the only must-have from them.

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Not sure if anyone else here is interested in such tiny details but... as a result of the Toytown list we did on Marmalade Skies a guy named David Plummer wrote to identify himself as one half of Jon Plum. That duo had one of my all-time favorite pop psych singles called "Alice" (comped on Circus Days and getting its first legit issue on Castle's comp Tea and Symphony). Jon Plum also had a second single which is great but not pop psych. It turns out that another song that made the Toytown list called "A Little Smile on Christmas" was done under alternate names by the same duo. Anyway, I wrote to David to ask him about his records in the 60s and working with Ray Singer, who some may remember as partner to Simon Napier-Bell (not sure if they were partners in the business sense only?). Ray Singer is an interesting figure to me in that he had a big production style that I think was learned from a love of Phil Spector and his early work with Mark Wirtz. So, Plummer, who is now a children's book author living in the US, wrote back with a few little details that I find interesting especially give how long I've admired the song "Alice":

Jon Plum also recorded 'You Keep changing your mind'/'An Apple Falls' for S.N.B [Simon Napier Bell]My favourite recording was the second single B. side 'An apple Falls'

Richard Hewson did the arrangements for the 'Alice'/'Sunshine' single. I remember we recorded with an impressive 39 piece orchestra. Richard had done the arrangement for 'Those were the Days' sung by Mary?s... it was a big hit around that time.

Now I'm going to put my memory to the test here. . .
    Jon and I released another Annie Rocket single called 'Amazon Lady' in the very early '70s either on President records or was it Youngblood records? It had some air play, but more in Europe than the U.K. I know I'm missing something here!

A Little Smile on Christmas Morning was written by Kenny Edwards and George Craig aka Jon Kennett and David Plummer; the reason being we were still under contract to S.N.B for recording & publishing at the time.

The Annie Rocket Band: Jon Kennett vocals and keyboards and Dave Plummer vocals bass and guitar with various un-named sidemen [only because I can't remember names ]- Annie Rocket was the name of the band but originally the name of a car that Jon & I bought for 18 quid: A beat-up '54 Morris Minor convertible with no top and no starter motor; Had to be pushed to jump start with a quick leap in. . . briefly seen floating/lurching round Redhill and Reigate circa 1969/70.

I have lost contact with Ray Singer, last seen getting out of a nice Rolls Royce '71? Jon Kennett last seen in Los Angeles in '86 he had had a big late '70's hit in Europe under the name 'Sonny Worthing' the song was 'La Belle France'

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Speaking of Marmalade Skies, it appears to be back in action. Thankfully.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

25. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I have three songs to summarize my psych listening so far this week:

"Guru" - Skip Bifferty (I absolutely love the entire album.)

"Porticulous Gaze" - Bulldog Breed (Very strange track that was way ahead of it's time. I really like the intro.)

"Kaleidescope" - Marmalade (This song gets stuck in my head very easily--so incredibly catchy. I love the harmonies in the chorus. Great bass line, too. The little guitar flourish before the verses reminds me of something George Harrison would play.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.