The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

8/3/82 has a real good second set To Lay Me Down

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I believe Garcia plays piano on that version. About the time I started my tirades against that song I listened to that version, it was not half bad. Went on maybe 2 minutes too long, but that seems to be the nature of the beast...

3. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I'm on the fence with Postcards of the Hanging. I'm not a Bob Dylan fan, and I dislike the Dylan and the Dead album from '87. This album is much better I think, since there isn't any Dylan singing until the last track...

But this All Along The Watchtower. Jerry actually SHREDDING. Wow.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, 12/01/79.

A week later and we’re back in Philly for another of the rescheduled November ‘78 shows. A real-busy week for the Dead, and you can hear it’s taking a toll, not only on the band, but on Jerry’s voice—which maybe why this is a short(ish), or at least seems that way, show.

I believe this is also the only Dead show played “on this day.”

There’s no real great shakes, here … well, maybe just a couple (mainly in the 2nd set).

A really pretty—actually downright gorgeous Peggy-O is the highlight of a perfectly fine and perfunctory 1st set; which again culminates with a rippin’ Deal—they try to one-up the previous night’s performance going even wilder during the climactic finale.

The 2nd set opens with a bangin’ Samson; with more croak than a frog, the weathered-voiced Jer lends It Must Have Been The Roses some added depth and gravitas; though the undisputed highlight (you could probably fast-forward straight to this point), is a ridiculously entertaining, incendiary Dancing In The Street > Jam > Drums which just goes off and coolly swaggers towards Funk Town on a phenomenal, sensationally groovy deep-jam with Phil dropping booming nuclear bombs in abundance throughout; as everyone else departs the stage, Jerry stays out with the Rhythm Devils (or is it just Billy?) for the Dancing Jam, having fun just shredding and letting it rip, almost maniacally teasing and egging on one another to try and keep-up, before he leaves the drummers to it—it’s pretty wild, and a total blast; a huge, crunchy NFA bursts and explodes out of Drums and chugs along, jamming and exploring different avenues along the way; the only GDTRFB of the year, complete with searing slide and a China Cat tease(!)—this is a smoke-show handled with aplomb; Sugar Mags brings the house down on a rip-roaring note—everyone just absolutely going for it; before rallying once more with gusto for the encore—a rollicking U.S. Blues caps the evening off in style.

Now, it’s time they took a well-deserved day off to rest and recuperate.

Interestingly this 2nd set sequence features neither an excursion to outer Space exploration or any late-set ballads (probably due to Jerry’s voice)—it’s balls-out, pedal-to-the-metal rock ‘n’ roll, baby … and it’s a riot!

I: Jack Straw, Candyman, El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Beat It On Down The Line, Peggy-O, Passenger, Deal.

II: Samson And Delilah, It Must Have Been The Roses, Dancing In The Street > Jam > Drums > Not Fade Away > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Sugar Magnolia.

E: U.S. Blues.

[​IMG]
    *I’m not even sure if this photo was from the show, but I think it’s from this tour.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 11 others like this.
  5. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

I see you'll be a regular contributor to our Every To Lay Me Down thread! :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

11.11.73, Winterland, San Francisco, CA

I: Promised Land > Bertha > GSET is right on the money early on... Hell of a way to get things kicked off. You can tell pretty early that Jerry is on one tonight. He plays ALL OVER El Paso, it's amazing. Ramble on Rose has Billy and Keith playing their asses off... Billy in particular is a madman. Bam!! This is clearly one of those pure magic nights with everyone locked in. Every song sounds fantastic, what's the point of taking notes!

China > Rider is one of the best I've heard. Weir kills his section, Jerry follows along for the last part of his solo then does his thing. The two of them play perfectly together throughout this one, with the rest of the guys right there in sync. The last minute of China Cat through the transition is complete jaw-dropping Jerry Garcia genius.

Dark Star is mind blowing, of course. 35 minutes of jazz from another planet, holy moly. I wish I had half of the ability to describe what I'm hearing like the guys in the Every Dark Star thread. This was my first listen, and I plan on revisiting often! This is my favorite of '73, going from memory... Simply amazing.

After it all, And We Bid You Goodnight... I love it so much.

It's awesome when everything comes together for an all time great show. This is some serious magic.

[​IMG]

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Trying to watch a movie tonight so no time for a full multi cd concert but i'm playing the road trips vol 1 no 2 bonus disc. wanted to hear a nice scarlett>fire and estimated prophet and the iko iko>wheel>wharf rat> sugar magnolia sequence from 10/7/77 is a monster

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That’s arguably the greatest show, and 2nd set, ever—flat-out incredible. Just. Exactly. Perfect.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Arguably the finest Dark Star ever performed. The band is completely telepathic wile improvising, to the point that it sounds composed, yet nobody could compose such glory. Amazing!

10. US Blues

11. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

+1 for this, sounds significantly better than the portions found on DiP 12.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Best
    Show
    Ever

uzn007 likes this.
  13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

imagine if this were true

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  14. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I need to score a box set

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

1994 and 1984 will be covered in the forthcoming Highgate set

Dahabenzapple and uzn007 like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There's an idea. Lots of Warfield 1980 comparisons would ensue.

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Another Australian! The contingent is growing.

So that's what you guys mean when you drone on about box scores. Ohhhhh.

I played teeball then modball then baseball for a while as a child and used to watch the MLB a bit. I probably should have known that.

I think I'll go with uninsightful waffle about the '76 shows I'm listening to, rather than a boxscore. I have lost the ability to find meaning in ratings. I used to love all those "top 100 albums ever!" lists but I can't figure it out anymore. I only get as far as "do I like this?" and "can I figure out why I do or don't?"

18. Six Bachelors

I wonder if we'll get a second June '76 box one day. I wouldn't bet against it. After Dave's 28 was released but before the June '76 box came out I recall posting on here that the best officially released stuff from June '76 was the bonus material. The entire third disc of Download Series 4 is highlights from 21 and 22 June. It may still be the case that the best stuff is in the bonus material...though 9 and 14 June are keepers.

Glad you are enjoying it and not experiencing fatigue. I think you'll go wild in the July shows.

Or not if there are only cassettes...

19. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember that when Charlie Miller released the June 26 and 27 1976 SBDs, he mentioned that he also had the June 28 "Happiness Is Drumming" set but was asked not to share it. He eventually did so I guess they put off plans to release that.

Portland OR June 3 1976 also seems to have been recorded to cassette, but sounds good and I bet it would sell if released, although a fair amount of collectors already have it.

21. Six Bachelors

I still think it's a bit of an odd choice for a box - some great music that I am enjoying a lot but also some average performances and, in a couple of cases, some very poor renditions. I know that's the deal with the Dead but this is probably the first time where I've thought about a show in a Dead boxset that it probably shouldn't have been released - specifically 11 June. The second half of the second set of 15 June is also not very good...maybe even bad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  22. US Blues

From the ABCD, LLC list:

06-21-76 Philadelphia PA, 5 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 06-22-76 Philadelphia PA, 5 X 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 06-23-76 Philadelphia PA, 1 x 7” REEL Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Reel #1

• 06-26-76 Chicago IL, 5 X 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 06-28-76 Chicago IL, 1 X 7” REEL Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Reel #2

• 06-29-76 Chicago IL, 5 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Ahh, I'd forgotten to check that. So that makes three more complete shows on reel from the later part of the month (June 29 I think got out to traders in the 80's auction).

trd and US Blues like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Feb 71 show from the Workingman's 50th release had some "shouldn't have been released" stuff, I thought.

25. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

People around here don't have a problem if you actually grew up in Dallas and support the Cowboys. They hate Philadelphians who are Dallas fans. And to be honest, I kind of do as well.

ARK, trd, US Blues and 1 other person like this.