The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

I'm kinda surprised that 12/9/71 was included in Listen To The River. While it's certainly a well-played show, it's also short and there's not a whole lot about it that stands out to me...the cynical side of me of feels like they put it in there so they could sell a 20-disc box.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In addition, the partially returned shows may complete what is already in the Vault. In time I believe we'll see more of this month.

3. ..........meanwhile - multiple N.F.L. Sources are reporting that @US Blues is in line to purchase The Denver Broncos ........... something about he and his uncle obtaining the funds in a mysterious and creative way. ...........

ARK, Spazros, US Blues and 1 other person like this.

4. Correct, sir! Total treasure chest full of musical genius. Digging the total band’s embrace of Miss 1/2 step - amongst another million other musical wonders. ........

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

My wife is from Philadelphia and HATES the Cowboys passionately, "Americas Team, feh!":D

ARK, Mad Dog, Spazros and 2 others like this.

6. Your national Aussie Rules Football Jersey is just begging for a Grateful Dead Steal Your Face logo to make it totally awesome......lol........

• [​IMG]

7. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, before I started this I was definitely afraid of what I might be getting myself into, but it's been really fun. They really do just sort of hit "shuffle" on their limited repertoire every time out, in a way I can't recall them doing at any other point, and it brings in an element of surprise that keeps things fresh and exciting.

I still think 76 is a year that would be amazingly well served by some smartly curated sets, more along the lines of 5 discs than 20. That was my suspicion headed into this listening project, and as much as I'm enjoying it, it hasn't changed my mind.

It's a short show and a nice warmup for 12/10 and the remainder of the box. And the opening banter on 12/9 is priceless.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:tiphat:

At the very least the Broncos are searching for a proper head coach. :pineapple:

ARK, Paperback Writer and trd like this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

If we are operating from the premise that 12/10 deserved release (and I think we are) then I don’t know how you keep one 1971 show out of the set. Sort of defeats the whole point of the box at that point IMO. And, as you point out, there’s no playing or vocal issues it’s just one of those nights that’s not particularly interesting

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

They’ve been searching for a head coach for 14 years

ARK, US Blues, Spazros and 1 other person like this.
  11. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

I suppose that's true.

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

To your earlier point though, they could have released 12/10 as a DaP and made a smaller box of just the 72/73 shows. So I don’t think your cynicism is completely off base. I just think the line was “do we include both 1971 shows or neither?”

I’m admittedly biased but I’m glad we got them all

13. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

They also played a show at the Fox in March of '71, and that's an interesting omission from the set. Haven't heard that show yet, so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

trd likes this.
  14. trd

trd Forum Resident

It was released in the 30 Trips box. I like it, not a great show or top of the box but fun show for the era

15. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

As well she should.

elsanto, ARK, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  16. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Current listening is an old favorite of mine (from earlier circulations).

1968.08.21 Fillmore West (Master Reels) [#139746]

[​IMG]

Extremely tasty playing in very fine sound.

That's It For The Other One
    Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
    Alligator
    Dark Star ->
    Saint Stephen ->
    The Eleven ->
    Death Don't Have No Mercy ->
    Turn On Your Love Light
    Midnight Hour

Absolutely superb!

Bill

17. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

And a quarterback.

ARK, US Blues, trd and 1 other person like this.

18. I nominate Bob Weir! He’s quite familiar with teams that revel in harmony, synchronicity and improvisation.

Hey - those are the Bronco’s “Orange Crush” colors.............
    • [​IMG]

ARK, US Blues and trd like this.
  19. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Thanks. As a latecomer, I can never keep track of what's in the porch crusher.

20. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I love that bonus disc and just recently revisited it this past weekend. October 1977 seems ripe for whole show releases if they exist. The only complete show released has been Dave's 33 (10/29/77) along with Road Trips 1.2 (2 discs and the bonus disc). The GD always seem to bring it in October, especially in the '70s.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow i had no clue so little of october 77 has been released

US Blues likes this.
  22. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I can't resist posting one of my favorite shots of my son (then 4, now 17.5) playing a proper sport. LOL.

Actually "tape ball," with me bowling with an official United States Postal Service (do not take under penalty of law) mail bin serving as an impromptu wicket.

[​IMG]

Hozat?

Bill

23. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Great form!

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Looking at the ABCD list, this could be a good box:
    • 09-28-77 Seattle WA, 3 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 09-29-77 Seattle WA, 4 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 10-01-77 Portland OR, 4 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

• 10-02-77 Portland OR, 5 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Complete

There was also a King Biscuit show from 10/6/77 (with "Terrapin" from 3/20/77). I don't know if they had better than usual tapes of that show or just used the 2-tracks. Either way, interesting seemingly-random choice.

25. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I should've admitted my similar bias. I was tickled by the very concept of releasing a big St. Louis box, but the results far exceeded my expectations. It's just such a cool thing to have.

10/29 is really more of an early November show. There's a nearly two-week break between the tour covered on RT 1.2 -- I agree about this release and especially the bonus disc; it's phenomenal stuff -- and the 10/28-11/6 mini-tour. The latter has been amply covered by official releases:

10/28 Kansas City, KS (not released)
    10/29 DeKalb, IL (Dave's 33)
    10/30 Bloomington, IN (not released)
    11/1 Detroit (not released)
    11/2 Toronto (Dick's 34 and Dave's 12, beginning of second set still not released)
    11/4 Hamilton, NY (Dave's 12)
    11/5 Rochester, NY (Dick's 34)
    11/6 Binghamton, NY (Dave's 25)

Some might complain that Dave's gone back to this mini-tour too frequently, presumably at the expense of other periods, but I am not among the complainers. These releases are HOT.