Tell me about your tube phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveyF, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@terzinator The EAR 834P is one of the most musical phono stages and ripe for modding should you wish.:edthumbs:

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I agree it's a classic design. I prefer the EAR 834P model with volume control run directly to the power amp. I feel it works better that way than run through a preamp. YMMV.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

A previous poster - Keith's quote below.
    "The Manley was one of those things I heard years ago and just couldn't afford at the time, but have lusted after one for years. I finally found one a couple of years back used and decided to add it to my LR system. It has the ability to run as a pre-amp as well, and one of these days I'm going to run it directly into my Krell amp to see how that sounds."
    I too have a Manley Steelhead...It use it as a pre amp & phone stage. It has a ton of flexibility.
    The SQ is phenomenal.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Wow. Lots of great systems here. Manley Chinook my first tube PS. Paired w/Rega RP6, Hana ML & LFD integrated. I love the Chinook. Nice tight bass, detailed. I think i’m done buying major pieces, i’m content with my sound.

5. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I've heard about power-supply upgrades, but haven't looked too far into things. What other mods?

Moving the tubes around made quite a difference in the noise floor for sure. Loving the sound from it, I know that.

Looked into that one, but it seems plenty happy running through a Schiit Freya+ into Aegir monos. Seems the non-preamp option would work only if vinyl was your only source into the amp, no? (That wouldn't work for me.)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Max

Max Forum Resident

I have a Chinook, Ear 834 and Ear 88 p, each for a separate set-up. Out of the three, the cheaper Ear 834 I think is the warmest and "tubiest" sounding. It generates the proverbial tube sound many crave for and remember from the old days. I like all 3.. The Chinook is built like a tank and sounds excellent and the Ear 88 p is the most resolving. The Ear 834 is epecially good with old telefunken tubes, while the Chinook and Ear 88 p are not that sensitive to tube rolling..

Tlay and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Jolida JD-9 and two conrad-johnson EV-1 phono preamps, one with a black face, one with the gold.
    Here's the guts from an EV-1:
    [​IMG]

FalseMetal666, james and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I have a Hovland HP-100 with the MC-step up. Nice sounding phonostage, unfortunatel it's limited to mc pick-ups since the step-up is can't be switched of.

9. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

I have Salas VPI Phono Stage. It's a DIY job and was built by the designer of the BigBottle phono stage which is very highly regarded in the UK.

pictures below of the insides of the valve PSU and the stage

EZ81 valves in the PSU and 2 x 6N2P and 2 x ECC88 in the actual stage.

it was introduction to valves and I’m really pleased with it. It’s better than the phono stage in my Lyngdorf 1120 which is pretty good. Added a an ever so slight touch of warmth without being too soupy or losing any detail. Definitely increased the sound stage and timbre. I can listen to it for hours on end!

EDIT: I can't work out why I can't add pictures. I'm pasting the hosting URL where it asks for the hosting link. Any tips?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You can't just copy and paste the image URL into the text box.

To the right of the smiley emojo, there is the rectangle picture tool. Click on it. A box will open. Paste the link URL into this box and click the insert button. This will insert the photo at the current cursor location.

Hint, verify that the link you are posting ends in ".jpg" or other valid photo types.

It should look like this:

Paste your direct image link in the box and click "Insert"

[​IMG]

Abbi says "Hello".

[​IMG]

If you were successful, the image will appear right then and there. You may post up to five images in one reply.

You can use the film icon to post a video from YouTube. One video only per reply. The video code will appear but you will not see the video appear until after you have hit the "Reply" button.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    SteveFord likes this.
  11. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

Hi abbi :) and thanks for the advice.

I thought that was what I did. Let me try again !

EDIT - Just tried again as per your advice and got the same result. I’m using Google photos is that not compatible here ??

12. SandAndGlass

Any valid URL should work.

You probably have an invalid image URL?

If you locate any image, you can select the "view image" option in your browser. Once you have an independent image on the screen, you will have the image URL in the URL area at the top of your browser, that will work.

I have never used Google photo, so I can not comment. I use Imgur, which works fine. I went through this graphically for a member who had a similar issue. It is towards the bottom of the page at this link. I used to work off of my laptop pre-Covid. Now, I have been posting from my smartphone and I don't have access to the tools I have previously used. I am not that familiar with doing a lot of things from my Android device.

13. terzinator

[​IMG]

Gave it a shot and it seemed to work... was this the image you're trying to post?

14. SandAndGlass

What error was he making?

15. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

thank you; yes amongst others. ... i'll try again... thank you!

EDIt - keep getting the same error - I give in as I don't want to derail the thread.

16. terzinator

It looks like he was trying to post the whole page of photos. You need to link each photo separately.

SandAndGlass and AndyCC72 like this.
  17. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

One of my conrad-johnson EV-1s came with the Tubes From Hell, two of them have croaked since arrival which is a first.
    I think I'll give it some playing time before I put the screws back in the cover.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Johnnnny-oooops

Johnnnny-oooops Well-Known Member

Does anyone have advice for a MC tube phono amp? I was thinking about one of the EAR 834 clones, but it looks like the new ones are MM only.

i have a Rega P6 with Ania (currently) and Rega MC Fono. Definitely want to stick with MC if I can.
    Thanks for any advice.

19. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

I have a Vincent PHO-701 w/a 50’s RCA tube on my backup TT Rega P7. For under $1k it’s hard to beat. After running a Sutherland Insight on my Rega P9 for years I took a chance on a Black Ice [formerly Jolida] Audio Fusion F159 [Fosgate Designed]. 2 tubes in this one w/his crosstalk circuit. I upgraded. The tubes to Telefunken and wow…. For the price ($1600) it’s hard to beat….

20. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I am happy with the Zero Zone clone, but other brands might have better quality components. I use it with a K&K Basic SUT and boron/Shibata-retipped Denon DL-300, with very nice results.

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

There are posts on various audio forums describing various fairly straightforward circuitry mods. Here is an example:

Replace C1 and C7 with SCR/Angela/Mundorf/Audyn Tinfoil & Polypropylene Cap's. The MIT/REL Polystyrene & Tinfoil or their Tinfoil & Polypropylene may be as good or better, I have not extensively tried them. If you don't have the greenbacks for even SCR Tinfoils mentioned above, try Arcotronics KP 1.72.

Yes it takes about 10 seconds to unplug the phono cables and attach the preamp cables for digital. I don't tend to flip back and forth between vinyl and digital on the spur of the moment so the 10 seconds wasted is infrequent. :)

22. Bob Sattin

Bob Sattin Forum Resident

I am using a Hagerman Trumpet MM with the 8 tubes on top. I really like it a lot. I also have a D. Sachs Phono 1 with the VCaps installed. It is also really nice. Both have Bugle Boys installed. I use them with step up transformers. My current cartridges are Koetsu Rosewood signature platinum, Hana ML, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Cardas Myrtle Heart, Transfiguration Proteus, and Accuphase AC-2. Right now, I am assembling a Sun Valley EQ-1616D kit. I am planning to bypass the internal MC stage with internal SUTs.

23. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Sutherland 20/20 with LPS. Not much to say about it. Pretty straightforward and doesn't get in the way of the music. Its quiet background makes for a perfect pairing with tube setup. I have it tucked away behind the console on its own stand I made along with other components that does not need attention (SUT, Node2i, NEO). Leaves for a clean and uncluttered setup.

24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Quicksilver tube phono stage 2020 model, with real Tesla 12ax7s from 1982. Sounds absolutely beautiful.

25. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Rogue Audio 99 magnum (two box) circa 2002. Acquired about 10 years ago from a local dealer. Passive RIAA equalization between the 12AX7 and 12AU7 gain stages. This has been driving an Atlas Magnum purchased new about the same time, and will be replaced with a Stereo 100 as soon as the January manufacturing run is completed.

[​IMG]

addicted2, DaveyF and SandAndGlass like this.