Worst Date Movie Experience?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Professor Batty, Jan 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

If the young Jessica Lange " didn't do much" for you I dunno what would.

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Deer Hunter. I took a girl to see that and afterwards she was so devastated and depressed she just wanted to go home.

Forgot to mention we did have other dates after that and they went well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You guys sure know how to pick a date movie.

Hint...

Romantic Comedy

4. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I cannot deny a certain "admiration" for Jessica in this role, but the movie was so freakin' stupid. I re-watched it a few weeks ago and the only thing good was Charles Grodin. Perfect slime ball. Both Russell and Lange's acting was atrocious. IMO Peter Jackson did a better film but nothing compares to the original.

5. SandAndGlass

Not a film about a monkey, a remake of a film about a monkey. Since when does acting come into play in these and Godzilla movies?

Lang's big scene was to play the Fay Ray part where the monkey holds her and climbs a building.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Good movies but lousy ' date' movies.
    Good date movie: romantic comedy.

7. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't see your post.
    I said the exact same thing. It's so obvious.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, I've had great success with Princess Bride but that's only after I've gotten to know someone and we're watching on the sofa.

A decent romantic comedy is hard to find and the chances one will be playing at a local theater at any given time is practically nil.

By the way, between the two dates mentioned above, I had a marriage, a kid and a divorce. In terms of viewing material, my ex and I bonded mostly over Pixar movies.

9. Steve Baker

Granted the film was not "Citizen Kane", maybe I missed the best actor part,'cause I was skeered by the monkey?

10. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

A friend insisted that we put our coats in the seat between us at a showing of The Last Emperor, then said that "it was a good movie but I didn't like it", she eventually got the heave- ho.

11. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for hijacking the thread before it even started, and then doing it again on page 2.

The thread title is: Worst Date Movie Experience?

12. Wildest cat from montana

Sorry...
    Didn't realize the narrow scope we were allowed to comment within.
    Exit stage left.

Speedmaster likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The first film Vickie and I saw together was a complete heartbreaker, David Lynch's The Elephant Man. It was on HBO. We were both in tears at the end, and she says that was when she knew we were meant for each other.

The first film we saw in the theater together was 48 Hours, and we of course laughed ourselves sick.

I think the worst of all possible date night movies would be Neil LaButte's The Company of Men. Or possibly his later The Shape of Things.

14. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

In that version, the part of "Kurt Russell" was played by Jeff Bridges.

15. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

On a third date, and the first movie date, we saw The Lobster. I won't spoil anything, but it is WAY DARKER than I thought it was going to be, and I immediately saw signs of my date thinking I'm a weirdo for taking her to it.

Fortunately for me, she's awesome, enjoyed the movie, and we're now engaged!

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

None. Don't recall every going to a movie on a date.

17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

There’s a difference?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

“I swear, honey, I thought it was the one with Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford and the Watergate investigation!”

19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Too many with my ex. She had BPD and so her emotional state was all over the place. One random example was I ordered us food before the movie and we were eating it in the car beforehand. I acidentally dropped the container onto the floorboard and she went into a rage saying I'm the most careless person she's ever known, threw the food at me, then told me to get out or she'd call the police. And then she drove off and left me by myself in the rain. Another time we were at a diner by the theater and she claimed her food was prepared incorrectly and demanded that I take it to the server and complain about the service. It was pretty apparent to me that nothing was wrong with the food and she immediately stormed out because I didn't 'stand up for her' and left me stranded again. The next table over game me a look and asked if I was OK and then ended up giving me a ride home. This was something that happened frequently enough that I'd become fairly emotionally numb. It took me a while to finally break things with her and I've heard it's pretty common as people with the disorder can be extremely manipulative and are also good at sucking you back into the vortex and then brushing it off like nothing ever happened. And as for the actual movies, there were multiple times where if she didn't like a movie she'd demand we go home or she'd claim to be sick, etc. Pretty much all times were of course the few times I'd pick the movie; she would refuse to admit any of her choices were less than perfect. Also, watching movies alone or listening to music alone would at times send her into fits of rage where she'd accuse me of only doing so because I don't love her anymore or that I'm just hiding from her, so she'd become very erratic and throw things, go into long soliloquies about how I was selfish, or how I need to change and be a 'better person.' Constant blame, criticism, pettiness mindgames, etc. She would essentially always ask me to apologize for her bad behavior and claimed that everything was because of me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

What? Why?

Fantastic, a real considered person that one ;)

Jeff Bridges was in it

Depends on the date.

I’ve seen it and you dodged a bullit there ;)

yeah, a considerable one

Sounds like you are understanding what happened and thus getting ok with it. Chin up, dude.

bamaaudio likes this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yikes! Sounds exactly like my best friend’s ex-wife. I was so happy (and so was he!) when they finally got divorced.

It’s hard for me to imagine that people like that even exist. I’ve been married for 27 years, and although my wife and I don’t often like the same movies, we can usually find something to agree upon and enjoy it together. But most important of all :D she lets me have my own music room filled with nothing but records and cd’s and stereo equipment to enjoy myself. She has no interest in music. She loves to read novels.

One of our first dates together was at the movies to see “My Cousin Vinny.” Of course, that’s a great date movie. Things went well and we sat in the car talking for about two hours afterwards.

Instant Dharma, timind and bamaaudio like this.
  22. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

That's great to hear. And it's nice that humans are capable of having lasting, happy relationships. The amount of jealousy was pretty insane to where any non-family female friend was vetted on attractiveness level because she assumed anyone attractive I couldn't possibly have as just a friend. So my facebook page ended up being mostly men as she went through and deleted anyone she deemed a threat. And at times when we'd watch movies with any nudity, she'd cover my eyes. Multiple times she'd throw a tantrum if someone was undressed for even a moment and she'd say, "oh, I see. So this is why you wanted us to watch this movie. Why? Am I not sexy enough for you?" And then it'd drag on for hours. This would even extend to particular places where she'd throw a fit if I went and there would be attractive females, etc. She would think it was the end of the world if I didn't answer a call before it went to voice mail or immediately respond to a text as to her it automatically meant I was cheating and there were no alternate possibilities. Even after we're no longer together there have been times where I have to remind myself it's okay If I do this or that, watch this or that without any repurcussions. Sounds like your best friend would relate and I don't wish it on anyone.

yesstiles likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

If the monkey can tell them apart, otherwise no.

24. Steve Baker

Apologies for making the mistake. Jeff Bridges not Kurt Russell. Brain fart.

25. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I took a date to Fargo and she didn't understand why I was laughing at so many scenes.

timind, rockerreds, razerx and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.