The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

2. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

That jacket!

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

np:

Terrapin

from Hartford '77

05-28-77

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

They had a real HC in 2015, when they won SB 50. :bdance:

5. US Blues

They had a QB for a few years not so long ago, as noted above they won a Super Bowl with him, despite the diminishment of Manning's physical skills. Great QB's are rare, like the combo of Jerry & Phil (had to come back to GD content).

trd and Paperback Writer like this.
  6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Back to the June '76 discussion...

I just finished a run through of 6/21-22-23-24-26-27/76 . I'll get to the 28th & 29th soon. Overall I was pretty underwhelmed with that stretch of shows. Like most Dead shows there are some good moments but none of them held up as good from start to finish. Mostly uninspired and very sloppy in several places. I can't see myself revisiting these again. So if I have a hankerin' for some June '76 I'll put on 6/12, 6/14 or 6/19. I like those a lot. Of course YMMV!

7. You and everyone else is so right about this all time great!

The segment below defies description, it’s other worldly.

Use it as a chakra clearing, neurotransmitter reset and aura cleansing vehicle to obtain ecstasy. Enjoy!

8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

re: June 1976

I was listening to the Grateful Dead channel on SiriusXM earlier today and heard Cold Rain and Snow from The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ on 6/17/76 (released as Dave's Picks Vol. 28). Jerry's playing and singing is just ethereal. Betty's recording is wonderful from the get go. There is also an excellent matrix on archive.org for those wanting to hear it.

Having only seen the Dead in huge stadium shows, it blows my mind to think of seeing the them in a small, intimate theater with incredible sound quality and at one of the many heights of their powers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  9. US Blues

Is there enough good material for a curated box set? A 'hot jams' collection that leaves out all the repetitious versions of Mama Tried and Looks Like Rain?

KCWhistle likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember 6/22/76 had a bizarre "Playing" w/"Happiness Is Drumming" teases (that I think was a bonus track on some official release). 6/21/76 had a first set Crazy Fingers->Comes A Time. Can't remember anything else offhand.

US Blues, BMac19 and trd like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Speaking of unreleased Fall ‘77:

Dallas, 15/10/77 and Detroit, 01/11/77 would be my first two top Picks.

Dallas is a coke-fuelled romper stomper featuring one of the best St. Stephen(s) ever; and Detroit is lit featuring an unbelievable Terrapin during its insane 2nd set.

Or just release them all in a Fall ‘77 box set. Easy.

12. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

Hi folks, relatively new to the Dead – and likewise new to their product release cycles. I know about the free streaming on the Archive, of course, and I also signed up for the 2022 Dave's Picks subscription, but I wonder what else comes around. From what I can tell there's a big (with various values of "big," from moderate to huge) box set release once per year. Is it just once per year? And is there a consistent time of year (for instance, Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series tends to show up in the autumn)? I'm talking CD releases only here, not vinyl. Basically, how much and how often should I be budgeting for?

13. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, get back to us after 6/28 and 6/29.

I certainly think so. This is a great period for Looks Like Rain, though, so I insist one of those be included.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Apparently we don't do that anymore.

15. trd

trd Forum Resident

Road Trips just needs a little rebranding, like Thoroughfare Excursions

16. uzn007

Sometimes there's a one-off, like the Ready or Not release from last(?) year, but those seem to be rare these days.

There are usually spin-offs from the box on CD and/or vinyl (e.g. 12-10-71 from last year's box) but those don't contain anything that's not in the box.

There's the GarciaLive series of live Jerry Garcia Band (etc) releases. Those are usually pretty good and pretty cheap (relative to the GD releases).

Real Gone Music does periodic reissues of Dick's Picks and Road Trips releases, so you might want to budget $50-$100 per year for that if you're interested in picking up some of the older releases.

17. uzn007

"Trippin' Balls on the Highways and Byways"

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Mate, that was released in 2019!

ARK, YouCantWin, trd and 3 others like this.
  19. uzn007

Time is an illusion, man.

20. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Covid years.

Bill

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I thought time was a stripper doing it just for you?

22. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

There's also the on-going 50th anniversary releases. The original indication was that they weren't going to do the live releases and they wouldn't necessarily wait for the actual 50th year as the releases get further spaced out, but we did get Skull and Roses (live album originally from 1971) last year. So we may or may not get a 50th anniversary release of Europe '72 this year and/or a 50th anniversary release of Wake of the Flood (from 1973).

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ah, the good ‘ol days!

Not.

US Blues and Spy Car like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Be warned—once you open that door, there’s no closing it.

But at least you’ll enjoy the ride.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have a feeling they are skipping europe 72. the last 3 deluxe, including skull and roses, looked like it was a way to dump some 1971 concerts

frightwigwam and KCWhistle like this.