The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

It could be Europe '72 50th Anniversary Deluxe Expanded Edition: The album + full show from the 'warm up' shows for the tour in NYC like 3/23/72

OhioHead, shadowcurtain, ARK and 5 others like this.
  2. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

I'll bet 10/2/77 Portland is also on the list for being a future Dave's Pick at some point. You could probably say that about both Seattle shows and both Portland shows, though...

3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 12/31/77[Winterland]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Truckin'.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

5. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

What else could they release in a 50th E72? Every note of the tour has already been released.

Plenty of shows that could be released as part of a 50th Wake or Mars, though of course you're looking at a 4-disc package for either of those.

6. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Better than Casey Jones.

7. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

March NYC shows? Some have been released, but there’s lots left.

Matthew Tate, Islands and US Blues like this.
  8. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Greetings from another newcomer. I've been a fan for about a year and a half, now. You're in for an expensive ride if you want physical media, I'm afraid. LOL

You've got it about right with the ongoing releases, but it's the massive number of out-of-print archival releases that'll eat your wallet alive.

My suggestion is to sample various years from the Archive and see what periods grab you the most. As someone basically in your position, I'm happy to give some good starting places in the archival rel)eases.

However, the best idea is probably just to start with the live albums that were recorded to multitrack, several of which were released during the band's lifetime. That's a great way to sample various eras of the band in great sound (show date in parentheses, and my recommendations for starting places in bold).

Two from the Vault (1968)
    Live/Dead (1969)
    Skull & Roses (you might substitute Ladies and Gentlemen... here) (1971)
    Europe '72 (I might substitute Steppin' Out here, as it's from the same tour and gives a better picture of what they were doing) (1972)
    Sunshine Daydream (1972)
    Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack (1974)
    One From the Vault (1975)
    The Closing of Winterland (1978)
    Reckoning (1980)
    Dead Set (1980)
    Go to Nassau (1980)
    Nightfall of Diamonds (1989)
    Without A Net (1989-90)
    Dozin' at the Knick (1990)
    Saint of Circumstance (1991)

Some of these are out of print and harder to obtain, but I believe most, if not all, are available for streaming. That oughta keep you busy for a while...

9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Musician Bob Weir and NBA legend Bill Walton attend Game Four of the Western Conference Finals between the Golden State Warriors and the Portland Trail Blazers on May 20, 2019 at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon.

10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

And keep him away from your gummies!

11. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Either one beats Baby Shark!

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Given the fixated audience I thought for sure it was at the Jonah Hill Hologram-Jerry audition for the next Deadco tour

13. Mr_Flanders

For those of you who mentioned being newer fans, I am as well. Allow me to also recommend Grateful Dead for beginners

It helped me get started and the discussion began as a way to help us newbies figure out how to navigate the discography.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

15. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

When I started getting seriously into the Dead, I decided to listen to the official releases in chronological order of release date from the debut album, up to Dick's Picks 15 before I branched out from there. Every release is on Spotify so that made it very easy to check stuff out.

16. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

Hey Guys - Here are some more thoughts on the studio albums

The debut is one of my favorite debuts of any band I ever heard. Any album with Cold Rain and Snow and Morning Dew has gotta be good, but I really enjoy the whole thing.

Wake of the Flood is of similar caliber. The vibe of this album rocks. Just a laid back feel all the way through and has many of my live favorites. Vassar Clements, the horns, along side Keith's keyboard tones are just awesome. I like the warm production too.

Terrapin Station is the studio album I always enjoyed most. I still enjoy it, but it might not be my favorite anymore.

Shakedown Street is the next studio album I've never completely heard, so I am going to check it out now.

17. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

My appreciation for Blues For Allah went up immensely recently. I love the electric piano and overall funkiness.
    In general I enjoy that era of studio albums, the post-PigPen era of albums, WOTF, FTMH, BFA, TS, SS, GTH

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

19. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

This is amazing. I appreciate the laugh! I don't have kids, but I'm sure glad other people do.

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I used to hear it called “Purina.”

21. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Another one of those nights where I need a friendly reminder that the 6/28/74 Boston (DiP12) “Jam” is a thing of beauty. That mind-bending ultra jazzy groove (MLB I believe) that takes off around the 15 min mark is absolutely incredible (like brings tears to your eyes incredible) and then the warp speed trance that develops near the end that goes seamlessly into US Blues, holy hell! This is absolutely one of their top moments of ‘74 and for my moneys worth probably ever. I’m going to excuse myself and go back for more.

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's a Nudie suit - they got those after the Europe tour, I think Garcia wore the whole thing once and the jacket a couple of times and that was it.

The only GD song I've heard my kids sing is the ending of Alligator from Anthem of the Sun. I played it in the car, and they whined the whole time, but they seemed to like the ending.

23. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

This afternoon's listening was a show from 1968 that exists only as an audience tape. Billy is missing due to an illness (according to the notes) and Mickey is solo.

1968.11.22 Veterans Hall Columbus (AUD) [#21933]

Not going to lie, the audio is not superb--yet I thoroughly enjoyed the set. Great playing. Great set list.

Bill

[​IMG]

24. Mr_Flanders

Alligator is hard to deny!

Al Gator, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  25. trd

trd Forum Resident

Alas, Jay Lane was not yet even 4 years old