Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Get Wild
    2/5

Kinda drags as a songs for such a great title. I usually sit this song out in the club in comparison to many other funky songs. It's too slow to be wild.

New Power Soul
    3/5

Its okay, I tend to not skip this song when it comes on. A nice instrumental. Kind of bland drum samples and lyrics on this album though as a whole. Could never really get into it.

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

New Power Soul ...

Ok, a nice 3/5 ...

Tricky By Name likes this.
  3. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

New Power Soul is an enjoyable jam. But yeah, that's about everything there is to it. It feels more like an instrumental interlude, even though it's only the second song on the album. Without any proper vocals, apart from the New Power Soul chant, it feels unfinished to me.
    2.5/5

4. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

New Power Soul

was this leftover NPG era Madhouse?
    2.5/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  5. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I don’t think so, because Madhouse 24 was recorded in July 1993 and May 1995 (New Power Soul was recorded in May 1994). Besides that, Eric Leeds is an essential part of the Madhouse concept and he’s not performing on this track.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yeah, the original version is so much better than the album remix. More organic, goofier, livelier. I'd give that version a 5/5.

Exodus is the best NPG album, buried alive in the worst one. Strip away all the skits and you get a fine, funky, sometimes trippy album, but listen to it as is and the thing runs off the road into a tree between every damn song!

7. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

New Power Soul is decent background music, but I don't find anything innovative or exciting about it. 3/5

8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Count The Days", written by [​IMG], Sonny T., Michael B. Mr. Hayes, & Tommy Barbarella; produced by [​IMG]. Both credits attributed to The New Power Generation. On the video below, it starts at 11'42".

Recorded at Paisley Park in May 1994.

Sonny T.: lead and background vocals, bass guitar
    Tora Tora (aka [​IMG]): background vocals, all other instruments except:
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Mr. Hayes: keyboards
    Michael B.: drums

[​IMG] originally recorded a solo version fo the song in May 1994 and then later that same month recorded the NPG's tracks.

"Count The Days" was released as a single in Europe. The single version had the swear words "edited" out and repleaced with instrumental interjections.

"Count The Days' was also released on the Girl 6 soundtrack in 1996.

croquetlawns likes this.
  9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I quite like Count the Days, and Sonny does a good job on c0-lead vocals - 3.5/5.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Raunchy but kinda paint-by-numbers soulful R&B ballad. I lost interest after about a minute but it goes on another two...which for this era is pretty brief. So props for that.

Can't quite rank this as a 3/5, so a strong 2/5. A lot of this reminds me of updated versions of the more paint-by-numbers work he did on his first two albums - meandering not particularly strong melodies done in a fairly generic soul/R&B style.

11. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Count The Days
    3/5

12. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Count The Days

This is my favourite on the album. Unique, hilarious track.

3.5/5

Lance LaSalle and Tricky By Name like this.
  13. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Count The Days - love this one - soulful, lovely guitar and vocal (from Prince) and some quirky lyrics too. A good change of pace for the album and Sonny's vocals work surprisingly well in the duet format. This was the other track aired at The White Room performance - with some nice swirling organ from Mr Hayes adding to the atmosphere...

What's less well known about this appearance is that P (or rather Tora Tora) played a mini set, which to the best of my knowledge has never aired and has never circulated. It lasted about 25 minutes and included Big Fun, The Jam and Hide The Bone - as well as Count The Days and an extended Get Wild.

Anyone know if the version with Prince's vocals only has circulated?

4.5/5

14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “New Power Soul” (19 votes):
    1 - 0x
    2 - 4x
    3 - 14x
    4 - 1x
    5 - 0x

Average: 2,6447

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

"Count The Days" sees Prince going deep into a gospel-soaked soul, but the lyric is uncharacteristically unclear to me: is he basically looking forward to ending a relationship? or what? What's with the first verse's violence? And part of me wonders if the anger-tinged lyric and the way it jangles up against the acoustic-guitar led mellowness is meant to be funny, ironic, like Beck doing Prince pastiche a few years later?

Whatever, lyrically it doesn't add up and ultimately feels a bit unrealized...like a 5 star song that Prince just decided was good enough.

Sonny's voice is not as good as Prince, but it's certainly not bad -- reminds me a bit of John Oates, that big thick soul voice.

But I think it's a bit underrated here so far: 4.1/5 for me.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

New Power Soul
    A lovely fat and juicy jazzy feel to this one. Brilliant how the guitar, keyboards and brass work together.
    4/5

Count The Days
    A lyrically bizarre thing but a cool track.
    3.5/5

17. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Count The Days

Great soul ballad! Again, Sonny and Prince are sharing lead vocals. The lyrics seem to reflect the departure from Warner Bros. but the video is suggesting that the song is about racism and civil rights.
    The music is so beautiful that it deserves some more positive lyrics.

The song was released as a single with a video (with Prince as Tora Tora):

"Great day in the morning
    My choir sing a pretty song
    Every day I'm with your ass is another day wasted
    I swear is a day too long
    "

This is a solid 4 out of 5.

18. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I absolutely adore "Count the Days." I first heard it on the Girl 6 soundtrack and immediately loved it. To me, it is pretty much a perfect song. 5/5

Like Frankie Beverly without Maze.

19. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Count the Days

Always loved it. Always assumed the lyrics were something personal like Bob George or Old Friends 4 Sale, just a little less obvious to us. He and Sonny sound great together like this. I also always wish it were longer but it’s short stay is part of its charm I suppose. 4/5

Lance LaSalle and Tricky By Name like this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

New Power Soul
    An okay in-between track that keeps the funk alive. 3/5
    Count The Days
    Warm soulful song with a message of better days to follow. Harmonies and guitar work are really good, excellent bridge and that MF I count the days is really strong. 4.25/5

21. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"count the days" - 3/5

22. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

23. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Count The Days... I 1st heard this tune on the Girl 6 Soundtrack, and was instantly drawn to it. I always liked this dark/soulful/atmospheric tune. This is a special song. "Mother****er I count the days"
    4/5

24. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Count The Days: this is fantastic, mother******!
    Gorgeous, throwback early 70’s Gospel Soul, tasty guitar work. Mavis could have covered it with some lyrical re-writing. The key change at the end is just lovely. 4.5/5

25. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

Count the Days. This one I actually like. I never paid too much attention to the lyrics, and how they swing from violence to frustrations in a relationship, but I’ve always enjoyed the music and the singing.

3.3/5