Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Hell I can barely remember a recording session I recently loaded up that I did 5 years ago lol I can imagine forgetting about it a few years later. Imagining trying to remember everything with old age and a prolific discog on my side, I would probably forget things others find notable as well

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  2. Jules HKG

Jules HKG Forum Resident

Hopefully Revolver & Rubber Soul wonˋt get the Giles treatment.

Can we just have a re-press of the Beatles 2014 Vinyl in Mono and SACD´s with DSD streams from the same masterings

apesfan, keylime_5 and ODIrony like this.
  3. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

I would say hopefully they will get the Giles treatment, especially Revolver. If you are not interested, just don't buy them. It's really that simple.
    What's the point of wishing something others might enjoy just doesn't happen? I am not interested in the mono vinyl set, but I would never wish it never gets a repress. It wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  4. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

A great remix should have this differentiation in my opinion. I know it’s a bit boring, but it would work;)

• middle: track 1 and 3
    • left: track 2
    • right: track 4

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
  5. obi

obi Forum Resident

And the original stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul reinstated as the default mixes on Spotify etc.
    People are complaining that it's difficult to find new vinyl versions of Sgt. Pepper that are not the remix, but at least the original mix is still on streaming/download services.
    Not so for Help! and Rubber Soul; the '87 remixes have effectively replaced the original stereo mixes.

6. RosesFromYesterday

RosesFromYesterday Sitting on an angry chair

I don't understand why people on here love his remixes, when half of the time, either the bass or the drums or even the vocals aren't panned dead center.
    The trick to a good mix, in my opinion, is to put the drums and bass dead center to provide a solid foundation for the track (backing vocals and cymbals and other assorted percussion can be panned), with keyboards and guitars panned mildly (so long as you maintain a balance, so if you have only one guitar and no keyboard, please don't pan it or the mix will be lopsided) and any actual pianos recorded in a stereo manner. If you feel the mix is too mono-like, just throw on a lot of stereo reverb.

Lead vocals, obviously belong front and center.

7. Sgt. Abbey Road

Here's my attempt to re-equalize the YSS version of "Nowhere Man". I'd be happy if it sounds like that, but that's only an opinion:agree:
    Nowhere Man.wav

8. Sgt. Abbey Road

I mean that I’d be happy when the official remix sounds like that when it’s released in the future;)

marklamb likes this.
  9. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Honestly I find the whole "drums and bass always must be centered" rule quite boring. It's the reason I'm so fascinated with 60's stereo mixes, they had to be creative.

tages, supermd, DK Pete and 11 others like this.
  10. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Very nice remix - although I do miss the lead guitar jumping from one channel to the other for the break. ;)

marklamb and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  11. Sgt. Abbey Road

Thank you very much! The mix itself is from the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, but I tried to make the sound more natural:)

marklamb and ODIrony like this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Just my own little update…for what it’s worth, I watched the Eight Days a Week video the other night and at one point, a beautifully balanced, clarified, remixed version of a part of Girl is played. As you state in your post, this is all we want.

supermd, marklamb and danielkov86 like this.
  13. qrysdonnell

qrysdonnell Forum Resident

Heck, the true original Star Wars (pre 'Episode IV') was never released in any format, even VHS. And it's been tinkered with in every release up to and including Disney+ where they added the 'maclunkey' line. (Changes were made by George before Disney acquisition, but they hadn't been seen until the Disney+ release.) so fan restorations are all that we've got.

andrewskyDE and HotelYorba101 like this.
  14. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

And here's my mix from the Yellow Submarine Songtrack:

The Beatles - Nowhere Man (Alternate Stereo Mix) - Clyp

I had to use some tricks to remove the dialogue at the end, I'm surprised I got rid of it so well.

15. RosesFromYesterday

RosesFromYesterday Sitting on an angry chair

I'm all for cool stereo panning effects (listen to the beginning of "It Never Goes Away" by KISS), but ultimately, I like my mixes to be straightforward.

Square Hammer likes this.
  16. Sgt. Abbey Road

17. datim

datim Forum Resident

True. They are all good points.

18. Tarce

Tarce Forum Resident

I would love a re-mix. Martin said he couldn't do it because of the inability to separate the instruments. Jackson's new technology now makes it possible. I think Revolver would sound fantastic if that could be done. And I always thought it sounded a little subdued--bring up the bass and drums.

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I've alway felt that Ringo's drumming should have been more prominent on Got To Get You Into My Life.

20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The drums are part of a single, multi instrument rhythm track. I think apart from EQ trickery, demixing technology would need to be deployed. They can’t be “turned up” without guitar, bass and organ being turned up as well.

Got To Get You Into My Life
    • Trk 1: Guitar, bass, organ, drums

ODIrony, obi, ronbow and 1 other person like this.
  21. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The content of the track is not correct.
    Drums share the same track just with the bass. That's what is on take 8. For reduction mix (take 9), from which the final mono and stereo was made, they just copied the track.
    So drums/bass track is what they had back then for the original mixes.

Listening to the mono mix the drums and bass are in perfect balance with the rest of the other instruments and voices.
    The only spot where one can consider the drums to be too low is the triplets snare/tom break at the end of the verse after every single day of my life.
    But during that break the bass is almost inaudible so the drum break could be turned up without a demixing technology. In fact they could bring it up in 1966, they just opted not to neither for mono nor for the stereo. Which leads me to believe that it was an artistic choice to let the brass drown the drums.

supermd, lukpac, DK Pete and 3 others like this.
  22. Based on their recent DES disc, I propose the good people at Hit Parade Records/Eric Records do the remix into stereo of these early Beatles albums. The results of their remasterings are absolutely spectacular. Give a listen.

billnunan likes this.
  23. Sgt. Abbey Road

You’re completely right! The Byrds stereo mixes really show that:agree:

24. Beatle Ed 2021

Beatle Ed 2021 Forum Resident

There is a remix that was featured in Anthology though which addresses a lot of the issues with this song (e.g. punchier, more upfront drums), so it is possible.

andrewskyDE and ODIrony like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't feel it's a just a matter of bringing them up; sometimes this can worsen things as opposed to helping them. The drums on Revolver are varied..on some tracks like SSSS and Good a Day Sunshine they're fine. On others like GTGYIML and Dr. Robert they sound weak. There are clutter problems as well on some songs which concerns all the instrumentation.

JulesRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.