Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

For those who have recently acquired this, was it useful?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

We’ll, it’s there should you decide otherwise, it’s worth the time and effort in my opinion until (and if it’s possible for) EH puts out a better sounding version. He’s really made it relatively easy.

3. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

how do i get it?

4. Gordon Johnson

Like it says on the tin, PM me!

The book btw, "Keep on playing the records" documents in full colour pictures and text the 25 years of Experience Hendrix output of audio, be it cassette, CD or vinyl.

It covers promos, samplers, full sets etc. If it's missing anything just say.

phantomime likes this.
  5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

When did we as humans become so lazy :(

jhm, MHP, Sis+erRay and 2 others like this.
  6. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Pre order is back up on Amazon US with the following description added:

“Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision is the latest in-depth project from Experience Hendrix, encompassing 3CD/ 1 Blu-Ray DVD of previously unreleased music Jimi Hendrix recorded at his newly created recording facility in 1970. The deluxe box set offers 39 tracks (38 previously unreleased) that were recorded by the new-look Experience (Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums) at Electric Lady Studios between June and August of 1970, just before the legendary musician’s untimely death the following month. The project also includes 20 newly created 5.1 surround sound mixes of the entire First Rays Of The New Rising Sun album plus three bonus tracks [“Valleys Of Neptune,” “Pali Gap,” and “Lover Man”]. The Blu-ray includes the critically acclaimed, full-length documentary Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision. The film chronicles the creation of the studio, rising from the rubble of a bankrupt Manhattan nightclub to state-of-the-art recording facility inspired by Hendrix’s desire for a permanent studio. Directed by John McDermott and Produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the film features exclusive interviews with Steve Winwood [who joined Hendrix on the first night of recording at the new studio], Experience bassist Billy Cox, and original Electric Lady staff members who helped Hendrix realize his dream. The documentary includes never-before-seen footage and photos as well as track breakdowns of Hendrix classics such as “Freedom,” Angel” and “Dolly Dagger” by recording engineer Eddie Kramer. The package includes an extensive booklet filled with unpublished photos, Hendrix’s handwritten song drafts, and comprehensive liner notes.”

7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The vinyl set is now listed at $109 on Amazon, $20 more than the initial pre-order.

Also, I hope the Blu-Ray also includes a well-mastered, hi-res, stereo transfer of First Rays.

8. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Awesome, can't wait for this one!!

9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

38 of 39 Tracks previously unreleased

Frist Rays plus bonus tracks in 5.1 and most likely 2.0

Oh yeah

10. Experiencereunited

Excellent resource. Nicely done

11. John Harchar

That sounds...excellent! Those three tracks added to FR might make it sound a bit more complete (and I'll imagine that Jimi listened to the My Friend tape and decided to go with it!) But why just three tracks with Eddie? I've said it before, give me videos of Eddie breaking down each song, I'll never leave the TV (or video player of your choice)

So which is the one released track? Bolero/Hey Baby?

Natural E and dryjoy like this.
  12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Maybe those 3 are from vintage 70's footage? (a Dolly Dagger breakdown from that time is already available on DVD)

To be fair though, the blurb doesn't say there are only 3, it says '...track breakdowns of Hendrix classics such as “Freedom,” Angel” and “Dolly Dagger” by recording engineer Eddie Kramer.'

13. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

agreed, it really isn't that hard

14. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i know right, imagine thinking listening to an MP3 was hard. its almost like its still 1989 around here

15. Gordon Johnson

$21.07 more!

Glad I ordered early!!

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I thought other people are still alive, or they have clips of Mitch or Stickells talking First Rays era songs.

I welcome a new documentary even if they have far less repeat value than live Jimi. My hope for unseen Jimi stuff is extra Berkeley, unseen Cal Expo, extra or alt angle Maui, Tim Leary Village Gate(snippet on IOW disc), maybe some extra Atlanta or something from Europe 70 like Sweden if that can be AI'd and stabilized.

EH can be sneaky with alt mixes and edit variations. I too think it hi-Rez stereo and surround.

Same 3 songs as the FR bonus DVD from a decade ago? They have Jimi footage of other songs like Straight Ahead and maybe Hey Baby Atlanta(only if they sync it to studio version or IOW).

Weird that Kramer is only mentioned in regard to those 3 songs, and that could be decade old footage. Is his EH contract up for renewal?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  17. Experiencereunited

A lot of this material has circulated or been booted as well. The question is nou only how how mich has been unreleased (38 of 39 tracks) but also how much of this has never made it into circulation either.

Hep Alien and healter skealter like this.
  18. John Harchar

True but chances are those three will be the focus. I'll have to scout around Vevo and see which other songs are there and think of them as "bonus footage" :D

19. John Harchar

It will be good to have actual details with them after all these years though! Which one of these Drifting mixes is which, etc.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

EH are generally good about notable sonic upgrades and making sure there's some nuggets that are totally new to fans. They know what's already out there.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Cokelike- likes this.
  21. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So where's the current best place to preorder?

E.Baba likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Any claims to new material by EH is taken lightly with me, from experience with reading pre release comments, this could quite easily mean new material, unreleased since last Tuesday week!!!!

Jimi Bat likes this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

So far, there is only one place to pre order, Amazon.com

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I can't find it on Amazon. Maybe I'm typing in the wrong thing?

25. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I don't have anything that can play a DVD any more.