David Bowie - Toy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

2. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I'd quite like it on vinyl but not sure I want the 10" box, just seems excessive.

Do we think this will just get a standard 12" release in the fullness of time?

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The credits in the box are only listing the live and "Re:Call" discs as "exclusive" so the answer is yes.

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Then again, it just got released on a 10" boxset so might not get a stand-alone 12" release. It's not exclusive to Brilliant Adventures anymore after all.

5. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Well I'm assuming once they've milked all they can from folks for a £100+ box set they'll just do a standard release for those who don't want the box or couldn't afford it and cash in again.

I wouldn't mind normally but 6 x 10" just seems unnecessary.

scenescof likes this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Again, do you really think the estate will let TOY slip through their fingers?
    It’s a ‘new’ Bowie album after all.
    The initial run of 10” vinyl boxsets are already gone. Those sets are pricey to even manufacture in the first place. And they obviously want this album to stand on it’s own as part of the discography.
    Their ‘limited edition’ ideas is a marketing trick.
    I can say with 99% of certain, that this album will get a standard 12” album release.
    All things points towards it.

maui jim, Oogie and croquetlawns like this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Don't know what you mean by that, but Dig store still has 'em available

Adam Bosman likes this.
  8. I'm pissed that I will have to buy the Toy Box to get the two tracks not included in the 'Brilliant Adventure' box! Those two tracks should have been included on the Re:call discs IMO.

9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I'm curious to see what happens to them over the next month or two. Someone a few pages back said their local shop had dozens. My local shop (Minneapolis) only had one, and they tend to get lots of everything! I grabbed it of course.

Box sets tricky. I held out on Neil Young Rust Bucket box as it was too much, and just snagged it for $30. I truly hope those waiting for Toy box to drop, are able to find them cheaply soon. Great music here, but 10" are spendy and cumbersome so I understand the apprehension.

10. MHP

I mean that when the boxes out there are sold out, there will not be a repress.

11. MHP

The whole point of doing the TOY:BOX is to include associated material together with the main album. ‘Liza Jane’ and ‘In The Heat Of The Morning’ are exclusives to the TOY:BOX and they are not a fit at the Re:Call discs, as they are unreleased items.
    I get your point and they play a dirty trick on us, but keep in mind that that’s how it’s always been. It’s pure marketing. Old news.
    And Bowie himself was not a tad better when he was with us, with the constant stream of exclusive tracks, b-sides, bonus tracks, remixes and special editions. Nothing has changed, to quote the great man himself.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. footprintsinthesand

For most box sets that's the rule

That's not marketing, it's maximizing profits

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Disappointed that didn’t revisit The Laughing Gnome in a ‘Velvet Underground-styled arrangement’, as once threatened/promised.

14. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I am starting to think that disks 2 and 3 are even more enjoyable than disk 1 (and I like that too) This is a fun box - great to hear some ‘new’ Bowie

stef1205, Haecate, The Cat 3 and 9 others like this.
  15. MHP

Disc 3 still doesn’t do a thing for me. I honestly think they could have spared us for that one.
    But I agree Disc 2 is great. The Visconti mixes are great (though too compressed/limited for my taste - compared with the more ‘spacey’ Plati mixes). I think the liner notes are lacking, though. They could at least have labeled them ‘Alternative Mix’ etc. Confusing not to know what the tracks are compared to the main album. I would have preferred Disc 3 to consist of original versions. Here they could have made ‘Shadow Man’ the great selling point instead of a streaming b-side.

16. I relented and bought the 3CD box today but have yet to listen to it. I read somewhere here that the Dynamic range for Discs 1 and 2 are the same. Does Disc 2 sound more compressed than Disc 1?

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Damned, you are right. I totally didn't interpret it that way but that's an absolute possibility.

But: Don't you think Warner would have used that as promotion for the "Toy" box? "The only standalone release of the lost album!" Right now they are referring to it as "special edition of 'Toy'". Which also leaves open a lot of possibilities. I've always assumed a standalone 12" release was a given but... you may be right.

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I am digging the third CD with the "unplugged" versions. I think that the 3 CD version is very worthy even if you have the Brilliant Adventure set. I like the somewhat odd cover as well.

19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Bang, bang. I love my Toy bootleg and I’m enjoying the official Toy set nearly as much (a couple songs are missing). Uncle Floyd, where the hell are you?

The Cat 3 likes this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

Sailing over Coney Island ?

21. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Cor! Disc 3 is actually a bit special ain't it? I'm just loving the whole baroque pop acoustic sound of it. The London Boys is an incredible song in this setting. Conversation Piece as well is quite, quite sublime.

Revolver, anth67, Thorpy and 7 others like this.
  22. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

Congratulations to Steve Hoffman and his crew for 20+ years of the forums;
    Keep on keeping on.
    Thank-you,
    Jepsom.

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

And this relates to The B***les, how?

The Cat 3, Ludger and stepeanut like this.
  24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Beatles invented Steve Hoffman.

The Cat 3 and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Not fit to shine Heather's shoe.

healter skealter and stepeanut like this.