Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Right, when he feigned a heart attack ("This is the Big One!"), he'd usually say something like, "Elizabeth, here I come!" or, "I'm comin' to join you, Elizabeth!"

3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

My favorite track from the Mingus Bohemia sessions is "Work Song." It's the first recording on which Mal Waldron really grabbed my ear. His short solo here is a wonderful little snapshot of everything I love about his playing style:

L.

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks a bunch , yes same ol 2fer. I have heard there is a 2cd complete recordings and I am wondering if any of you have that as a comparason , i thought @Lonson had that cd set from reading an older thread
    edit I see Lon already is ahead of me and answered upthread

lschwart likes this.
  6. Time to go way back in time!

[​IMG]
    The Complete Wolverines: 1924-1928 (Off The Record/Archeophone) CD
    featuring
    Bix Beiderbecke and Jimmy McParland

Twenty-seven fresh transfers on one compact disc with recordings by
    Wolverine Orchestra (also issued as The Jazz Harmonizers) / Sioux City Six / Bix & His Rhythm Jugglers / The Original Wolverines

The original 78 rpm recordings were issued on Gennett, Claxtonola, Vocalion, Brunswick & a couple of test pressings.

[​IMG]

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Foreign-language shows and series are broadcast dubbed in many European countries, but fortunately not in the Netherlands, where they are all in the original language and subtitled. News broadcasts are also subtitled where necessary.

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Because... Sing it with me!
    Zanz can't dance, but he'll steal your money,
    Watch him or he'll rob you blind

:) :)

9. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Pony Poindexter - Pony's Express
    [​IMG]

Never really heard of Pony Poindexter before today. Better late than never!
    File this one under "If you ain't havin' fun listenin' to this one, you ain't listenin' right."
    Straight ahead, but lively and spirited fast-paced bop music, sweetly wailing blues, and lyrical balladry.
    What's not to like?

10. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've seen little of the show, just bits and pieces when others were watching mostly, for one reason, didn't own a TV (by choice) when it was originally on.
    I do have some of his comedy LPs, as well as the LP shared with Dusty Fletcher; I also know that he (RF) hired his peers and elders, among others, one of whom was Sam "Spo-De-Odee" Theard, who recorded early on with Tampa Red.

Sam Theard

Now playing:
    Gato Barbieri, Don Cherry, Albert Ayler, John Handy – Europa Jazz (1981, Vinyl)
    Doubled in economic value in the last 40 years I see; the musical content, of course, is priceless.
    Everything on it is apparently misattributed according to the Discogs posting; the Ayler's from Lorrach, the Cherry from this (which having never seen nor heard, makes me glad to have this)
    Don Cherry – Togetherness (1966, Vinyl)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  11. Bethlehem BCP 75 [FSR resisue 1987] - Sam Most "...Plays Bird, Bud Monk & Miles" - rec. 1957 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

'S a good one. The cover always reminds me of one of my favorite albums of all time:

[​IMG]
    Which I decided to play right now.

13. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

New release on Intakt from English pianist Alexander Hawkins called Break A Vase. Fortunately he does a monthly mailout and had CDs for sale and as I find Intakt's order system for CDs a little old-fashioned I snapped one up from him. Two plays so far - this is a good ensemble. Neil Charles and Stephen Davis were, with Hawkins, on that Braxton Standards tour and box set. Shabaka we know of course.

Richard Olátúndé Baker: Adamo (Talking Drum), Percussion
    Neil Charles: Acoustic Bass Guitar, Double Bass
    Stephen Davis: Drums
    Otto Fischer: Electric Guitar
    Alexander Hawkins: Grand Piano, Upright Piano, Sampler
    Shabaka Hutchings: Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute

[​IMG]

Rob C, almost unison, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"Tommy Turrentine" Audio Fidelity SACD

[​IMG]

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Boy it's scary how time flies when you get older. Listening to Matthew Shipp's brilliant Silkheart album Points -- which I think first bought together the rhythm section of Shipp, William Parker and Whit Dickey on record (with Rob Brown on alto, who would also go one to be a big part of Parker's classic turn of the millennium quartet). Released now almost exactly 30 years ago, 1993. Ouch. 30 years! (or 29).. By God, it's a bona fide jazz classic by now!

[​IMG]

17. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I picked this up last year. I didn't really know much about him, but its quite a line up that also includes Elvin Jones and Ron Carter, and it piqued my curiosity. As you say its a real fun session and a very enjoyable listen.

19. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Sylvie Courvoisier Trio - Double Winsor.

[​IMG]

Excellent.

20. Fischman

Okay, so that's now next in the queue....

.... which in turn reminds me of another fave with a carousel horse theme...

[​IMG]

21. Fischman

Just as with the Adderleys, I also very much enjoy the less famous trumpet brother.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Happened to listen to this marvelous album just the other day. Wanted to hear Rob Brown in particular who I saw in Hartford two months ago.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

There was a trio album Brown did for Black Saint or Soul Note a little after this that I really liked but I haven't heard in years. That's one I'm going to have to cue up.

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

He just celebrated a birthday noted on Facebook. We now have the benefit of seeing him regularly in Inman Sq Cambridge since he’s teaching at Berklee. Monster player with a huge repertoire of extended technique that he uses in free and structured improvisation.

25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I think that one’s on Quobuz.