The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Cool shot with the PA stacks l-e-a-n-i-n-g forward. Shot from Boston 12/73 for "first time all stacks behind the band" also shows some lean, but in that case it is backwards.
    [​IMG]

2. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

So after making my way chronologically through my GD CD collection, I've arrived at the last stop--the Cal Expo '93 Road Trips for tomorrow's listening.

However, today and yesterday I took a little online detour into the Hornsby era, for which I don't yet own any official releases.

Yesterday, I listened to DiP 9, while today I listened to Saint of Circumstance and the MSG '90 RT and am currently listening to an AUD of 9/25/91 (can't deal with the airless sound on DiP 17).

I've typically talked down the Hornsby era, based on my cursory sampling to date, mostly of the two '91 official releases. However, after listening to the two MSG '90 releases, I'm reassessing. Here's how I see it at the moment:

I LOVE all of the MSG '90 stuff I listened to, more than most of the '90 shows with Brent I've heard. That may seem odd, but I feel like maybe things got a little comfortable in Spring and Summer '90. Changing keyboardists forced everyone else to try a lot harder than they had in years. Jerry's playing is consistently awesome at MSG, to the point where it feels like '74 Jerry at points. The drummers are working a lot harder to lock in and not be sneakers in a dryer. And Phil, good lord... Hornsby isn't walking all over everyone and really adds a LOT, while Vince is adding nice flourishes and atmosphere on the toy keyboard sounds Bralove fed to him. The jams collected on the Road Trips are mind-blowing. That's now top of my list of releases to acquire.

So, what about '91? Well, it's clear to me things didn't go great once Bruce and Vince started settling in and the others got used to them. All the '91 I've heard features Hornsby playing over everyone, the drummers being all over the place, and seemingly lots of Bad Jerry showing up. The AUD of 9/25 helps put this in a better light, but it's still a cluttered mess. The loosey goosey GD has its charms but it didn't work with two keyboardists. The professional 48-track mix on Saint of Circumstance helps, but the jams are still cacophony far too often.

I do feel like there was an opportunity to go somewhere interesting with Hornsby/Vince if they'd been interested.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Crispy Rob, adamos, Islands and 4 others like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’ve not heard that one! Or any March ‘77 for that matter.

US Blues likes this.
  4. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

3/18 never did much for me (perhaps I should revisit) but I definitely recommend 3/19 and 3/20, both really good shows.

Crispy Rob, uzn007, SJR and 1 other person like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Scribe them on your calendar for an Anniversary listen. :righton:

SJR likes this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

After beating Mahomes last year I have come to appreciate Brady. Winning with a second team, in his 40's, is impressive. And I was really happy to see the Chiefs lose.

texron, j4yheindeo, Jamcoy and 3 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Perfect timing after Jan/Feb ‘79.

US Blues likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Dick used to talk about wanting to release both the March and June 77 runs. I guess March hasn't happened because there are challenging tape cuts in the board reels.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

When I walked to my seat on 12/1, I took a look at that speaker array and thought “I’m going to be deaf after this show.” But the sound was so pure, that in that small venue, it kind of went through us without sounding loud.

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

Small point of clarification, its not a rumor. Bobby told the story in an interview in the 80s. I believe it appears in Gans’ book, or maybe it is in one of Blair Jackson’s?

11. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Modification to my comments above about 9/25/91: I'm grooving on it a lot more as I take in the AUD. Maybe Help/Slip/Franklin's wasn't a great place for 1991 Jerry to open a show with. He's all in by Tennessee Jed.

Crispy Rob, uzn007, adamos and 3 others like this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

winterland

Paperback Writer and US Blues like this.
  13. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

That Road Trips October '77 Frankenshow (7th, 11th, 14th, and 16th) never stops giving. If loving these splice jobs is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Thinking I need the entire shows for these dates.

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The cluttered sound in ‘91 is definitely an issue although I’d say it’s worse on the recordings than it felt live. But the summer and fall tours were both pretty good and there are some worthwhile shows throughout the year.

16. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I don’t really have anything against Brady other than I’m tired of seeing him win at life. He’s got to be the greatest QB of all time at this point, doesn’t he?

But I’m a typically disgruntled Cincinnati sports fan who is cautious (or unwisely) hopeful of witnessing the first Bengals playoff with since 1991 (I was almost 4 years old then) after a classic Reds last season collapse. But I’m glad Brady is in the NFC, I wouldn’t want to play him unless I had to.

US Blues, Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  17. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I need one of those red t-shirts Jerry's wearing! Love it!

18. notesofachord

Ain’t opinions great? Not all of us agree with your opinion.

This goes with the larger point though that in the larger box sets that include four or more shows not every show is an all-time highlight show. It presents a run of shows including the average (good), the great and the all-timer shows from that run.

Also, opinions can change after repeat plays of shows - in either direction. :thumbsup:

19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

A few days before rfk we saw old and in the way. Great show.

Crispy Rob, Spazros, Spy Car and 7 others like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Utica Memorial Auditorium, Utica, NY, 14/01/79.

There’s only one available source of this show on the Archives, a FOB AUD, and it’s not the greatest recording, though that’s probably down to the PA—starting out a little rough-sounding, it does get better or it’s maybe my ears have adjusted.

The show itself is the weakest of the tour/year (so far, from what I’ve heard), though it still has some highlights.

According to various reports, Keith was MIA for most of this one as he was nodding off at his keyboard during the show, and once he came too, later began fighting/arguing onstage with Donna. The end really was nigh for those two, wasn’t it?!

Apparently it was freezing, and there was a blizzard outside which is fitting, as I love a Cold Rain And Snow opener—this being the first since in six months (Red Rocks, 07/07/78), though it’s a “showcase” for Bobby’s slide practice which brings it down a notch or two, and it’s also the last one with both Keith and Donna; Dire Wolf is a sprightly run-through; [side note—there’s a lot of slide practice going on throughout a fairly rote mid-set]; I really dig Jack-A-Roe, so it’s always a blast to hear this folk ballad; Lazy Lightning > Supplication reignites a bit of a creative spark before the break.

The 2nd set opens with, I guess, a fairly common trifecta for this period, I Need A Miracle > Bertha > Good Lovin’ which is loosey-goosie and grooves, especially during the Miracle jam, which is one of the highlights, here; there’s an extended Estimated with a spaced-out outro jam; before they set controls for warp-speed, and absolutely rattle through Eyes; Drums segues into a laidback and gloopy Iko Iko which sucks all the momentum out of the sequence almost crawling to a stop; before Jerry seems to have had enough, and precedes to start noodling and riffing, then careens off into an explosive TOO that eventually simmers down into; a slow-blues/jazzy Black Peter, again with that damn piercing slide.

No encore, here.

A decent, not great, show.

I: Cold Rain And Snow, New Minglewood Blues, Dire Wolf, Me And My Uncle > Big River, They Love Each Other, Looks Like Rain, Brown-Eyed Women, It’s All Over Now, Jack-A-Roe, Lazy Lightning > Supplication.

II: I Need A Miracle > Bertha > Good Lovin’, Stagger Lee, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Iko Iko > The Other One > Black Peter > Around And Around.

Or, if you can’t be bothered to read my “review,” here’s what Dick said:

[​IMG]

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

This was one of the rescheduled shows from late 78 after Jerry's health problems. We drove up in that blizzard. Good not great show. We stayed over with friends not far from Utica. Much better weather for the return trip.

22. notesofachord

Not a fan of 6/9/76?

Six Bachelors likes this.

23. I’ve got you guys winning this week!

Mr_Flanders, US Blues and ARK like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Dick writes the show begins with a rare treat. I’ve seen plenty of shows open with Cold Rain & Snow.

I consider a rare treat show opener to be something like Midnight Hour>Walking The Dog>Big Boss Man.

SJR likes this.
  25. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I only caught Furthur once -- 7.17.12 at Charter One in Chicago. I was on fence, but a buddy was traveling in from Memphis and wanted to go. Really glad I did. My one and only Doin' that Rag (I think) - which was entertaining. The crowd at the show was a great mix, too. Great time.

US Blues, trd and notesofachord like this.