Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

She was probably on a separate track. I guess with Yoko still with us they might not have the audacity to do a mix with it muted. Maybe they could turn her down though.

ODShowtime and Bill Pafford like this.
  2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Udiscover has 20% off for first time buyers but I am gonna hold off to see what Amazon pricing is.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Damn, I've survived FZ by nearly three decades...and I don't think I've ever gonna survive his release schedule.

I haven't even worn the first Halloween costume yet!

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

On the other hand, with the editing program Audacity...maybe we could do that ourselves...? :evil:

kanakaris likes this.
  5. Louis Bova

Louis Bova Forum Resident

Guessing @The Vaultmeister will have info on this.

dlokazip likes this.
  6. BoogieFish

BoogieFish Forum Resident

Yes!! What looks like a box the size of the CD! It can easily go on my shelf! I can pull out the CDs as i need! It looks like the best ZFT box set packaging yet! I'm fine with this being THE WAY from here on out. Thank you!

Anthrax, alakulju and Chad75 like this.
  7. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    THE MOTHERS 1971 - SUPER DELUXE EDITION
    is approaching
    And the wind begins to howl, hey

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

While I'm really excited about this, I can't wait for the 50th anniversary of the Waka/Wazoo stuff.

9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Guitar solo:

:targettiphat:

10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Flo, Eddie & Yoko bonanza! I am all in! :goodie:

11. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

July and November will be 50 years, with 14 CDs released in a short period of time I wonder if a Waka/Wazoo 50th would be scheduled for 22' or early 23'. You would also have to consider any other projects in an annual schedule.

One thing's for sure, it's a great time for listening to 120 plus official Zappa projects.

kendo, vivalapsych, Swansong and 4 others like this.
  12. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Frank Zappa's rainbow incident - recollections

Here's a thread I opened a few years ago that may be interesting to re-read now. I know it's pretty morbid but I have always been fascinated by that show which, due to the circumstances (the band having to play with new instrumentation), already had quite a different vibe from the start. It also helps that musically it's a valid show: Frank did release large chunks of it on archival releases and some of these moments are among the better tracks on these albums (eg "Brixton Still Life").

And of course I'm looking forward to hear the complete Fillmore shows: those have always been a holy grail to me. I was under the assumption that this would have never happened but I am very glad to have been wrong.

Very excited about this release!

Swansong, SirQ, tug_of_war and 5 others like this.
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Same. I was introduced to Zappa in the early 80's. Now I mainly enjoy the instrumental music. But I will probably buy the 8-CD set because there is a lot of stuff there that I will like. I can skip the nonsense if I want.

14. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

It's so ironic that song was being played. One of the turtles had said that the tour was cursed. Not exact wording but in general mentioning The Divan Suite as possible cause of bringing forth the rod of God.

A few months back I was kidding where the Zappa Trust could release a project of dangerous incidents such as Montreux, Rainbow and Palermo 84'. I forgot what name I was thinking but why not change the name to I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Nahhhh.

Here's the guy to play FZ, no auditions needed:

[​IMG]

Anthrax, MungoMusic, Islands and 7 others like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "King Kong" solo that FZ included in YCDTOSA 3 was a good one that doesn't sound much like any of his other solos I remember. Having it complete in its original context should be nice.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Mark didn't write a book as far as I know. Howard did and it was fun although I did get the sense that he was there to do a job and have fun afterwards, not very involved creatively (of course FZ didn't usually want creative collaboration anyway).

dlokazip likes this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This is not possible.

I think I'm gonna hold off on this one in hopes of a however-unlikely complete UCLA/Pauley show in the future. Though I will download Rainbow if that's possible.

I would like a definitive Divan Suite. The closest I've got is Carnegie Hall.

19. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Agreed - there's some great music in that show and what I like about it is it's the Mothers managing to pull off a valiant show in spite of all the odds that were against them. That whole "Wino Man" to "Cruising For Burgers" section is - for me - amongst the most enjoyable work that line up did and FZ's "King Kong" solo is a big fave of mine because it's so unusual, so naturally I am looking forward to listening to the show in its full form for the fuller picture. I'm intrigued to find out how the first half has been tackled for this release as there are endless gremlins and feedback issues heard on the audience tape. They seemed to get it under control by the time they reach "Sofa".

Yes, some may find the fascination "morbid" given the nasty way the show ended and I am kinda stunned to learn the ending was recorded and found so it's a brave and bold move to include it. Like it or not, the show is a part of rock legend and a pivotal moment in FZ's life. Alongside the recent "200 Motels" set, we will have a better and deeper understanding of 1971 in general which by FZ standards was an extraordinary and strange year.

Galeans likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Not to be 'nit-pick'-y, but..
    Shouldn't that essay Frank wrote about conceptual continuity, that was re-produced in the "Old Masters Box II" & "Beat The Boots" be a part of this?
    If I recall, there are ads for the pencil front album all around it.

tug_of_war likes this.
  21. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

I am not implying The Divan Suite is on the box set, only played on the tour and possible cause of extreme troubles on the tour.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    gd0 likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah probably not in THAT character though. Turturro could bloody well do it.

Dark Horse 77, felipezorro and gd0 like this.
  23. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Good points and I agree that for the sake of continuity, putting the whole show in its remixed form is the best way to do it. Otherwise it could be very jarring. However, I wonder if there was room within the CDs in the box set to have included those vintage mixes for the sake of completeness? The ZFT have done this kind of thing before with one of the Halloween sets where the single disc overview had a song not included in the box set. So if you wanted everything, you had to buy the single CD just for the one song. In that case it wasn’t that expensive but in this case we’re talking. ~$60 for the album. Regardless, I’m happy that the set is going to be available even if I question the decision that was made in regard to those vintage mixes but then again it’s not my call and no one is making me buy both the CD set and the vinyl.

Zongadude likes this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I know Howard liked my comment on Twitter a while back when I expressed my interest in a Fillmore set, so there’s that.

SirQ and Zappateer like this.
  25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You don't have 'Swiss Cheese/Fire!'?

SirQ and vince like this.