Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Ya gotta admit, by the end of '71, the groupie opera was getting a bit long in the tooth. Divan and Billy was Frank moving on and thankfully away from high school humor. I guess this settles that 'Eddie' was never recorded (or played?) again?

SirQ and ParloFax like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

really good quality on that boot!

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't remember the concert date, but I think Mark or Howie said that Frank had this idea (post-John meeting) to open the show with I Want to Hold Your Hand, just to really mess with everyone's head. I'm sure someone reading this will know the when/where of that show...........

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Anyone else think it's kind of weird that the credit/title is The Mothers but the cover photo is just Frank alone?

SquaRoots and Swordsandchains like this.
  5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I am curious about the sound quality of the new mixes compared to the original album.
    I always loved the album and was really happy in 2012 to get rid of the awful CD mix.

Elmer McMuffin likes this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wikipedia claims the original LP encores are from Meadowbrook back in May. So, not included in this box, I guess. If true, might have to hold on to the original album for more than just the overdubs. And, of course, the original artwork may not be included. Couldn't live without that.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm afraid not.

Never did replace my BTB LPs when I finally cut all my vinyl loose umpteen years ago.

Didn't even play them much, for the too-frequent craptastic b00t quality.

Is that particular Sofa/Divan performance worth retrieving?

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Meh. Not really.

gd0 and dlokazip like this.
  9. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

first thing I thought when seeing the box was this....

[​IMG]

a nod perhaps to the Lennon/Zappa material??

Islands, SirQ, trumpet sounds and 4 others like this.
  10. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

"Mothers 1970" and "Mothers 1971" does kinda raise expectations for 1972, 1973 and about half a dozen 1974 boxes.

jay.dee, Zappateer, KariK and 6 others like this.
  11. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

And let them all come in CD size boxes that fit nicely on shelves, and without clown costumes!

t-man 54, Anthrax, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  12. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

This set comes with a bottle of Uhu ;)

Bemsha and alakulju like this.
  13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

As long as it doesn't come with a baby octopus and a can of cream corn. o_O

fishyboots, SirQ, dlokazip and 4 others like this.
  14. idiot bastard

idiot bastard Zappa nerd

Most of the timings can be found here
    The Mothers 1971

vivalapsych, jay.dee, SirQ and 3 others like this.
  15. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Hooray! Even the shortest Billy is 30'01. My inner prog nerd will be satisfied!:righton:

kendo, jay.dee, ODShowtime and 4 others like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Seems like b.s.

Galeans likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

After 8/7/71 the band played four shows at the end of August and then was off until October. There is an audience tape fragment of one of the late August shows including "Eddie." Judging from the tapes we have from October it seems they dropped "Eddie" by then. No idea if FZ recorded those shows.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A few 20-minute "King Kong"s, a 14-minute "Chunga's" and a 9:40 "Willie The Pimp" (in the June 1 1971 Scranton PA show) too.

jay.dee and Philip Gruber like this.
  19. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just made it into 200 Motels Room 5. To answer the question,the furthest from it. My personal opinion is the choice of artwork radiates from Frank Zappa an American Composer.

It's always been Zappa, whatever name was marketing, especially after 1968. At the general time of Hot Rats there is a great black and white interview of FZ where he is talking about the form of groups he would put together. It was clear whether the musical ensemble Zappa assembled was Hot Rats, Orchestral, Mothers that it was all Zappa.

Surely in the case of The Mothers Fillmore East June 1971, with that LP the artwork was put together very quickly, a choice was made for the bootleg look, but in the case of this massive box set, 50 years in the making.

I see no reason as to why the artwork on this box set should not have the appeal as that of FZ with the Pipco shirt on Lumpy Gravy.

It's clearly Zappa.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    gd0, SirQ and Philip Gruber like this.
  20. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

True. I keep thinking of that "Echo Pie" dialogue snippet on "Meat Light" where Jimmy Carl Black objects to FZ's idea of The Mothers touring without him, biting back with "You're the group, man. You're the group." and "They come to see you, Frank. That's who they come to see." Flo and Eddie also say on film during the "200 Motels" shoot admitting it's all very "temporary" knowing that they were hired hands and FZ could dissolve the group at any moment.

Looking again at this new tracklisting highlights what I like about this line up... by late 71, the Groupie opera was being faded out, and whilst F+E still had plenty of space to do their thing, the balance was a lot better between them and the rest of the band rocking out on the jams - "King Kong" and "Pound For A Brown/Sleeping In A Jar" sequences are always enjoyed by me. I've always felt it was unfair the F+E Mothers line ups have had a bad rap because of F+E as they were only a part of what was going on as there were plenty of moments where they weren't quipping away where we can enjoy the band playing great music... there's gonna be a lot to enjoy here... plus I do love "Billy The Mountain" too so a few versions of that are going to be enjoyed. As FZ was planning a film of that, one wonders if he was gonna play that at The Rainbow over the course of what should have been 4 shows. It was definitely played on that tour... but we'll never know. Would have been interesting to see/hear what British fans would have made of it!

SirQ, Galeans and ParloFax like this.
  21. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Jamming, hard core Zappa Mother's Classics and Elsewhere.The Elsewhere is on high, in the heavens, on that Fat Floating Sofa. From on high in the heavens down to that Little House Zappa used to live in. Wow.

It had always seemed many have been derailed by the concept of this band being a Vaudeville Band. The concept of Vaudeville, Zappa On Vaudeville has always been far more than a short sighted view of high school comedy music, there was always lots more going on.

Come on, the B side to Tears Began To Fall single was Junier Mintz Boogie. This bands version of Intro To Music For Low Budget Orchestra should be a Book of Genesis awakening as to how deep Vaudeville could be.

Take it away Howard Kaylan

"Grow Little Trees"

Frank's dialogue of spring here is a perfect here is metaphor for the release and content on the box set. With hopes that the closed short sighted minds of some Zappa fans, what they think of Zappa's Vaudeville, that what defines Zappa Vaudeville will blossom into perception of what is Zappa Universe.

With this Spring 22' release, hopes that fans perception of Zappa's Vaudeville will Grow.

We will be ready,

FZ: It's spring, the time of the year when all things grow and little buds are sprouting off of them . .

John D., SirQ and Philip Gruber like this.
  22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

23. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Exactly! This is what I've tried to point out whenever I've encountered those who have dismissed them as a "vaudeville" band. It's kinda funny because I'm also a big King Crimson fan and the line up in 1971 and early 1972 also had a bad reputation based on two patchy albums that didn't really show what they were capable of. Fast forward to the late 90's when live tapes began to be officially released from that era and a major re-evaluation occurred that proved that era had plenty of merit. I see a similar thing happening with the F+E Mothers as these live tapes and outtakes add considerably more to what we had before, giving a fuller balanced picture of what the 70/71 MOI were about.

24. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

It is one of the few FZ titles that my local library had and I started checking it out at around 13 in the early 80's. Before that I had only heard (and owned) Hot Rats.
    For the curious the Library also had Grand Wazoo, Overnight Sensation, and the Zapped sampler.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  25. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

It's so ironic, 50 springs have gone by since that touring period, already a good sampling of diversity. Surely this 8 CD set gives a deep dive in one project. From the first note to when Frank gets pushed off the stage at The Rainbow, so much to be revealed. We could all hold the hand of the guy or gal next to us. It would be a shame for anyone to fall again.

All kidding aside, it's that famous old saying, with Zappa you either get it or you don't. I do use the term reveal, because for anyone, it does take 50 years for many layers of Zappa's Universe to present itself to the listener. It has no Born On Dating.

8 more CDs and plenty of Conceptual Continuity for the trees of our minds to blossom.

SirQ and Philip Gruber like this.