Power Cables... Do they really matter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Have you actually used the cords and interconnects that come with the Marantz? I have never tried to use the power cords and interconnects that come with my amps or other gear. Maybe I should.

2. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I could not differentiate between "el cheapo RCA but with Japan stamped on a plug, probably came free with whatever mediocre Japanese component from the 80s, Id put a value of about $5" (probably comparable to the Marantz freebie interconnects) with Audiotruths TOTL copper interconnect from the mid 90s, Emeraldx3. Neither could the owner of the stereo store (HiQ Audio in Thousand Oaks, Ca, long gone)I bought the Audiotruth cables from on his reference systems.

YMMV of course.

Not sure why Marantz would ship cables they didnt believe in.

Brother_Rael and Shawn like this.
  3. fish

fish Senior Member

Aren't they the cheapest thing anyone could find? I think Guttenberg did a thing on this once. Guess they had to ship "something" with it. Didn't waste any money. They know you'll be using something else.
    Yeah, their attention to detail internally is impressive. Dedicated to the sound, the music with the least compromise while being very competitive. Not allot of visual bling, just nicely made and to the point.
    Lots a good stuff in one box; a maximized, efficient and cost effective Analog Reference integrated.
    Impressions will come together in a few weeks. But its very good so far.

4. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Perhaps this should be separate topic, but is that a plastic remote that comes with that $9,000 amp.

That is pretty embarrassing if it is.

I agree, the IC's and power cords are general toss offs as far as I'm concerned. The remote, well, not so much.

bever70 likes this.
  5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I received some cheap cables with my Reference PM 15s1. I tried the power cord and it was trash. Marantz had no life. Put a Analysis Plus Power Oval 2 MKII PC on her and wow! The minute I listened with the cheap cables I understood why they put the freebies in the box. Because audiophiles purchase Marantz reference and Marantz manufactures Marantz Reference for audiophiles….not power cords and cables. Your’re right they had to ship something. But I have to disagree with you on the looks. I have the gold amp and it’s stunning! Just beautiful!

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I have absolutely no experience with Audioquest product in my own system but in post I made a few pages back about comparing some very pricey dealer loaned out cords over the holidays in a friend's system, the Audioquest PC's (they were Storm series I think but not sure which ones) had probably the most dramatic affect in changing sound quality of all the cords we slotted into the system (in various positions mind you). Some of the other cords in play were Cardas Clear, Nordost Tyr and a DIY Viborg 1606 based cable that I tossed into the fray for fun.

I quite liked a lot of what the Audioquests did in the system but I would have needed quite a bit more time with them to make a definite judgement on whether I would actually like to have them (and in my system of course). Whether I liked them or not I'd never buy them, as I mentioned upstream in the thread as they're just too cost prohibitive for me. But they unquestionably provided the most day/night difference when introduced into the system.

Interestingly, my friend did not really like them initially (and felt they were rolled off), but after he spent a few more days with them in his system he actually ended up buying them, along with ordering a bunch of Viborg 1501 cable to do some DIY cords.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  7. Grego

Grego Forum Resident

Quick question, looking for opinions (I will test it out myself, but enjoy hear what other people think)… where should one start with upgraded power cables? Power amp, pre amp, source?

I’ve always thought, a power cord is a cord, but I never tested that theory. To change that, I ordered two over the holidays and will test them out when they arrive. I have 2 mono block class D Purifi power amps, a pre amp and a DAC that I’m going to experiment with. So is it amp or source? My vinyl equipment is out on loan to my brother for a while.

8. fish

fish Senior Member

Thats good to know! The Analysis Plus Power Oval was in my short list of have to borrow and listen too. Im currently using a Kimber PK-10 power cord and I have a Harmonic Tech AC-10. Both are real good but want to try others.
    I have a few different outlets to plug into as well. Audience and an Audioquest. As well as a Synergistic Research and an PS Audio in a juicebar.
    The Marantz Reference gear don't use (or have) a ground prong in the IEC.

Damn, the PM10 is Seriously Powerful BTW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fish

fish Senior Member

No, Aluminum. Metal buttons. Little hard plastic on the back. Very nice and not too heavy. You can still likely kill someone with it :)

10. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

The Signal Cable MagicPower series has been doing it for me. The Digital Reference cable, although a tad stiff, sounds much better on my DAC than the OEM cable and Frank is a good dude to work with.

[​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.
  11. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I used to find the use of Aluminum irritating because across the pond in Blighty we call it Aluminium. But then I found that we used to call it Aluminum too (and a host of other spellings in the early 1800's) 'Aluminum' or 'Aluminium'? .

So I've negated my irritation! It is an irritation that has dropped off its perch like a Norwegian Blue Parrot.

MGW and guestuser like this.
  12. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Seriously guys, if you've never tried before, I do suggest running a quick test with an audiophile buddy/partner/child plugging in either an expensive cable or one of those "stock" cables. Then switching. Can you hear a difference? Was one clearly worse than the other?

It's a very simple exercise which I think would be educational and can be quickly done. You might be surprised by the ability of the stock cable even if perhaps not the most robust piece of wire. ;-)

wgriel, Shawn, vwestlife and 2 others like this.
  13. Ilusndweller

If you havent checked out this book, Im sure you (and many others) would like it, great read!

Uncle Tungsten

14. Slippers-on

The ground is inside the box from what I told. Don't know the nature of these new Marantz amps, But the older Reference amps where slightly dark of neutral just a tad, making Power cords with a blend of silver over copper a very good option. The copper to keep the body and the silver to help with the higher frequencies. That's why I decided on the Analysis Plus.....copper with a single strand of silver. Perfect for my Reference amp. Before Mark Markel, the owner of Analysis Plus, died, I spoke with him about 3 or 4 times over about a 2 year period and he told me about the single strand of silver over the copper, but wouldn't tell me anything else other than its great . I asked if it really had a single strand of silver. He would not give me any info on his design. Before that I used a Triode Wire Labs power cord...very good but its a warm nature and made the Marantz a bit to warm and dark. It would be excellent with bright amps or components.

15. Slippers-on

Same remoteI have as well

16. Slippers-on

I have one of these PC.
    Been there done that several times.....and yes you can hear the difference.

jeff kleinberg and guestuser like this.
  17. dial

dial Well-Known Member

If there are any differences between wires, they are measurable. First MIT modulation cables had high capacitance which could affect treble reproduction.

18. fish

fish Senior Member

Another one of those memos lost in the pond. ;-)

19. fish

fish Senior Member

I still have MIT S2's in low-impedance. They came in low, (Low (5-50kohms), Mid (40-100kohms), and High (90kohms and up) at the time, then with a switch to let you choose. Mine are over 20 years old and still sound great.

dial likes this.
  20. fish

fish Senior Member

Did another listening session with the PM10. Expected to sit from 9pm to about 10 but ended up listening till 1:30am.
    Compared to the KI Ruby;
    Insanely Clear with uber micro detail and nuance/air. Like nothing ive heard before.
    Giant soundstage, reached well beyond the speakers in all directions. Very deep, detailed layering. Creepy at times.
    Very deep bass (the sub is set to low gain and it was responding in an unexpected way) but also Very tight.
    High-end is also very extended but not harsh and very grain-free.
    Mids are much more pronounced than the Ruby. Makes the Ruby seem a bit dark and recessed and dare i say veiled.
    Then the Dynamic Punch! Seemingly on everything. Very Real-to-life dynamics in instruments, Drums and especially Piano.
    The biggest surprise was just how Great the Phono MC stage is. Further narrowing the gap between DAC and Vinyl.

It will calm down and sweeten up im sure, the Ruby did over the first 1000 hours.

Is the PM10 dark and polite? Absolutely not! But hints of that Marantz bass is there for sure just very well refined.

My Speakers have never sounded so good. They have been begging for this and performing like a proper Reference KEF should.
    This amp is a game changer and a stellar performer, well worth any price.
    Well done Marantz, god bless you Ken. You did a great job and they owe you everything.

21. Ilusndweller

While we have quite opposing viewpoints on power cables(and cables in general), you back up your claims with observations fish and I respect that. I do think a small % of people/audiophiles with excellent hearing can hear things (differences/preferences in SQ bw two pieces of gear and including cables)that scientific instruments can not necessarily measure/detect. :)

22. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I tried it once in the past and in my case I can say switching the stock power cord on my amp for a more fancy after market one did not matter and it was a waste of money. Oh well. I tried no harm done I suppose. You could try it and see or just not worry about it up to you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    vwestlife likes this.
  23. Slippers-on

Wow! Sounds like its a winner! I only wish I could find reviews where this amp goes up against Levinson, Pass, Luxman and some others...but cant find even one.

24. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The reasons why I don't use "audiophile" power cords:
    • They are not safety certified by independent testing labs like UL, CSA, or ETL
    • The claimed audible improvements don't stand up to blind comparison tests
    • Any measurable differences are negligible or non-existent
    • They're excessively thick, heavy, and unwieldy
    • Their oversized plugs may block adjacent outlets
    • Many have garish colors/patterns (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
    • If they really did provide the claimed benefits, high-end audio components would come with them from the factory
    • They're expensive, and the money is better spent on other upgrades, more music to listen to, or more important things in life
    • Anyone with basic electrical wiring skills can make their own cables at far lower cost.

25. fish

fish Senior Member

Yeah, just need to read through hundreds of thread posts where people who have owned these brands discuss character.

If you like that fast, detailed single ended class-A sound you will love the Marantz. And it comes without the excessive heat or limited power.

In my opinion and experience tube class-a SET's don't sound like typical tube amps at all and some of the best ones (Pass) don't use tubes at all.

Some will love it and others will hate it.