Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Let's see. Checking up on 355, one week in:

"Production Budget: $75,000,000 (worldwide box office is 0.1 times production budget)". The Numbers

Actually, the latest figures show it cresting at $8,399,378 Total Gross.

All Releases
    DOMESTIC (68.9%)
    $5,790,735
    INTERNATIONAL (31.1%)
    $2,608,643
    WORLDWIDE
    $8,399,378

Being of American historical importance, it does stand to reason that the domestic box office is accounting for almost 70% of gross income.

Still, its only been in theaters for one week. Maybe it will soon be chomping at the heels of WSS?

2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Are they changing how they define hit? I would think box office draw is not going to be that great for a bit but movies still might do well on streaming platforms.

3. SandAndGlass

"No Way Home has made more than $1.5 billion globally at the box office and now ranks as the eighth-biggest movie in the history of cinema worldwide. In the US alone, No Way Home has raked in more than $670 million."

Not too sure about that? Although Scream is expected to be in #1 place at the box office this weekend, No Way Home is now at #6 in all time domestic sales.

No doubt, if a movie fails to succeed at the box office, it will be due to Covid?

JediJones and Juan Matus like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No Way Home is an exception to what has become the rule; keeping in mind I'm sure parents were eager to get the kids out of the house and go enjoy something, anything.

5. SandAndGlass

I think you will find the No Way Home demographic to be way more than the kiddies...

Being #6 domestically (of ALL time) entails a large demographic, like Star Wars and other MCU movies. It is Sony's largest grossing movie ever.

There has been no scientific link to Covid transmission since this pandemic began, with regard to transmission in movie theaters. Though, if you wish to sit the next few years out, you have my blessing. The viewers have voted with their dollars.

You might note other movies that have managed to do well at the box office during the past two years, in this thread...

BTW, I am from Florida and am in Tennessee, where we have had movies and live shows open for more than a year and a half. No mandates of any kind.

Lee Davis, JediJones and budwhite like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Uh...what? We've known how it's transmitted since shortly after the first lockdown.
    April 2021: Fight coronavirus at home

7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this...

Is there any debate in the industry on what the best (most lucrative) way to release a film (in theaters or streaming)? I heard about Licorice Pizza months ago and was very excited to see it. I'm not a big theater goer, especially in the COVID age, and at this point I'm more annoyed that I still can't see this movie yet. I'm sure I'll see it when I can, but the long theater only release definitely will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think it will taint how I like the film, but I almost feel like I'm going to go in with a "After all this time, this movie better be fantastic" point of view. Just curious if you have any insight.

8. SandAndGlass

You enjoy your lock downs, the rest of us will enjoy our movies...

9. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Alita: Battle Angel grossed $85.8 million in the United States and Canada, and $319.1 million in other territories,

JediJones and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. brucewayneofgotham

The majority will NOT be going (the 1st 3 months of 2021) , there will be exceptions : Morbius should do ok , Batman will do Gang-Busters. But if theaters have to close , even these will be delayed.

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I mean...I skipped Shang-Chi, Black Widow (well, I did rent it on the Disney premium thing,) Spider-Man: Far From Home & Eternals...and I'm a Marvel fanatic. I can't justify putting loved ones (not to mention friends and neighbors) into jeopardy for a movie.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  12. brucewayneofgotham

85 million US/Canada is an out and out bomb. 315 million from the rest of the world, does not even come close to the film breaking even. There is no way Disney would ever release a sequel , and take a chance on a huge backlash. They have Marvel and Pixar and the Disney brands to protect, why roll the dice to a sequel that will piss-off 50%+ of the population.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. brucewayneofgotham

You nailed this exactly , One exception , this was it. Though imagine what this would have done with no COVID . Probably be the highest grossing film of all-time.

Curveboy likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think all the rules are changing, and nobody knows for sure. I think the execs are rattled that big action films like Matrix: Resurrections and Ghostbusters will tank, and an old-school musical like West Side Story bombs, but the 8th Spiderman sequel makes $1.55 billion dollars (as of today). And the Pixar execs are unhappy that Disney dumped their last films directly to Disney+, dooming them to not make as much profit.

Like always, nobody in Hollywood knows anything.

15. SandAndGlass

You are quite right, I am mistaken.

JediJones likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

That's a BIG if. Given that, theaters that are open will be staying open, at least in states where I am.

JediJones likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

I can't even imagine where or how you come up with this rubbish...

JediJones and Deuce66 like this.
  18. If you can interpret what he’s talking about, please share.

JediJones and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

The best I can come up with is:

Ground control to Major Tom...

JediJones likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Domestic has a new #1 champion - Scream 5 with $36 million.

JediJones, SandAndGlass and Curveboy like this.
  21. brucewayneofgotham

Already posted a few links , there are many more out there. Google is your friend.

22. brucewayneofgotham

That is over the 4 day Holiday weekend. I think it will be closer to $34 mil with actuals. And about 27 mil over the 3 Day. WB will have to decide very soon , if they want to chance Batman in this environment. Maybe move to May? and make Disney move the Marvel film.

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

and 'Licorice Pizza' seems to be melting down like a record in a microwave oven * IMO, the stellar reviews that came out months before anyone could see it (except on the 'Coast') speaks to the insularity of studios, and suggests marketing really fumbled it. One of the best reviewed movies in the last few years and they manage to 'withhold' from an audience that might have wanted to see it then and not eventually. The kind of film that needed to be boosted and launched by reviews.

*never actually melted a record in a microwave so a speculative analogy. Anyone who has melted records, please advise. I can change to 'toaster oven'.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Considering the subject, "pizza oven". :D

Simon A and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. brucewayneofgotham

as much as I disliked the film, I will never figure out , their release "gameplan"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.