The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That RT does have the greatest Wharf Rat and Sugaree ever played though, so it’s got that going for it ;)

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

9/28/72 wasn’t a Road Trip release.

uzn007, KCWhistle, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And it wasn't even a release, but needs to be. Fantastic TOO--> Bobby McGee--> TOO on that one and the last of the five to be released (assuming they do; maybe 2023?).

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ok, it’s up there ;)

LandHorses and US Blues like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

In the timbers of Fennario
    The wolves are running 'round
    The winter was so hard and cold
    Froze ten feet 'neath the ground

It's 28 degrees in central MA right now. I don't miss that at all. It's 48 here and I'm like, "Frigid!"

VU Master, Crispy Rob, SJR and 4 others like this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wait til you see what its like there in the summer.

US Blues likes this.
  7. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Been too long. I sometimes forget about the summer as strange as that sounds.

8. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Just heard the Playin' > Dark Star > Dew > Playin' sequence from 12/18/72 for the first time and...mercy! That's the s--t I need!

Edit: 10/18/72

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

18/10/72?

10. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

It’s a balmy 15 degrees in Eastern Ontario today, although we’d say -9 Celsius.

US Blues likes this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

14 January1978- Bakersfield, CA

Naturally Bobby does not play Mexicali Blues with its Bakersfield reference. Folks in El Paso got a place reference, and still carry themselves with pride.

Once again, a hot show from the Central Valley. Good recordings reveal good music, this one is no exception.

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

we left long island in the middle of the night. when we got parked and walked over to the stadium we could hear china cat > rider from outside while they were doing the sound check. must have been 10 in the morning.

Crispy Rob, ARK, ianuaditis and 5 others like this.
  13. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Just turned 40. I was in middle school in 95, I think I was going into 8th grade. I got into the Dead right after he died so I never saw Jerry. But I estimate I have about 95% of the official CD releases - full runs for DP, RT, DaP, Download, and all the boxed sets.

Ant G, ARK, SJR and 10 others like this.
  14. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Today's listening: Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 4, Cal Expo '93.

The only Vince-era release I currently own on CD.

Vince's contributions are what they are, but the band was mostly on point in the performances captured in this release. The PITB and Shakedown are both fantastic.

I do have a question. I don't have the bonus disc, and do those performances warrant paying $$$ for a copy? I enjoy the main release, but it's never going to be a primary listen for me.

[​IMG]

16. Great Sounding!

I’m a big fan of “The Eleven” - the Hunter-Lesh penned jammy song that landed on Live Dead. (At 110:00)

There’s a great one during this excellent concert on 1-16-70 from Springer”s Inn , outside of Portland, Oregon.

Really miss this from their concert years after this era. Also , here, it follows a an fashioned classic drum jam. William Tell, indeed.

Death Don’t Have No Mercy is a must listen.

Set List

Casey Jones, Mama Tried, Black Peter, Hard To Handle, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, High Time, Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Dancin' In The Streets, Alligator-> Drums-> The Eleven Jam-> Death Don't Have No Mercy Cumberland Blues, Me & My Uncle-> Dire Wolf, Uncle John's Band, Easy Wind, Cryptical Envelopement-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopement-> Cosmic Charlie

17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I do too. Those are, to date, the only full-show releases from summer 73. (I guess September is "summer," but there's only one full-show September release too.) As a result, it's almost certainly the Godchaux-era season with which I'm least familiar. I'll remedy that someday.

Paperback Writer, US Blues and BMac19 like this.
  18. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Quoting one's self in order to state a fact that 90% of you know already is why you value my posts here I know, but I wanted to also add that 3/18/77 was the first time Fire was played after Scarlet. The extended NFA jam with the sublime St. Stephen transition, coupled with the Terrapin with the outro part and the first Scarlet > Fire seems to be more than enough to warrant an official release of some kind. The sound is also amazing. I still remember hearing it for the first time on the Grateful Dead Hour - that source in particular made the band seem larger than life. The NFA out of drums would have to be counted among the hottest NFA's ever played.

19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I think you answered your own question. Nothing on the bonus disc will beat what you've already got, which is often the case with bonus discs IMO.

Archtop, US Blues and profusion like this.
  20. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

That's what I figured; I just wanted to make sure. There are a few bonus discs with material that should not have been so relegated (Cleveland '73 Dark Star...).

Crispy Rob, Islands, SJR and 3 others like this.
  21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Re: The bonus disc. I think the Cassidy > Uncle John's Band > Cassidy is worth the price of admission. All depends on how much of a completist you are with physical media. There is a copy on a famous auction site that is currently selling at a reasonable price.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, SJR and 4 others like this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Same. The NFA is pretty great on 3/18, as I recall, but the rest is pretty good-but-not-epic. 3/19 is epic and 3/20 is kind of short but fiery.

Crazy Otto, US Blues and trd like this.
  23. trd

trd Forum Resident

shamelessly stolen from Twitter user Mr Completely

[​IMG]

24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Spring tour was real good, too, once they got out of the northeast. I keep telling people not to sleep on those Atlanta shows from 1991.

Crispy Rob, adamos and Crazy Otto like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That's pretty hilarious. Less hilariously, I was reading about how the good old Twelve Tribes family ("Creepy Bus Cult") may have been responsible for the recent fire in Boulder.

trd, OhioHead and US Blues like this.