Early MTV - FM Hookup and Dial Sticker

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by willjR0K5, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willjR0K5

willjR0K5 Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm looking for visual evidence of the early MTV deployment of FM Hookup devices and something they called a MTV Dial Position Sticker.

Anyone have anything like this?

This post references the devices they used for hooking up the FM audio feed - What was the sound quality of early MTV like?

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Never saw the sticker, but did have a splitter on my cable coax to go to a 75 to 300 ohm balun to get the signal. I even use two VCRs, one to tune in MTV, and feed it into the video input of the second, along with a record out of the receiver with the tuned in MTV stereo signal.

JohnBeas likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I would look through Google Books. The entire run of Billboard magazine is available in full.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The community where I grew up was late to the MTV bandwagon, but it definitely was on the FM dial. All we had to do is Hook the cable up to the FM antenna connector on the receiver, which we did anyway to get radio stations. That was a pretty big deal at the time, and now I couldn't tell you what frequency the audio was at to save my life! That bit of information has flown the coop.

Karnak and Dan C like this.
  6. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I'd love to see this dial sticker. Hard to believe there are no images of it out there on the web!

7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Not only did we have MTV in stereo when we hooked up our cable to our FM receiver, our cable company also fed several FM stations from big cities around the country that I guess were on satellites. The one we MTV kids loved was KROQ which played tons of New Wave bands that our crappy local radio stations had never heard of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.