SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Some of the Rumours super deluxe sets contained the original SH/KG vinyl. Not all, but some. Could be worth checking around for one of those as well. They used to go for reasonable money, like $40-50 used. But i think it has increased quite a bit over time.

marcb likes this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:confused: By definition, all of the surround mixes are different...

To me, it’s an enjoyable surround mix. But if it wasn’t “Rumours”, nobody would use it as a demo for surround sound.

The DVD-A stereo mastering isn’t in the same league as the Hoffman-Gray vinyl. Honestly I think it’s closer to the bottom than the top of all of the masterings out there. The best digital version IMO is probably the 2011 hi-rez download (not to be confused with the earlier or later hi-rez masterings).

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Interesting, I didn’t know this. I assume it’s the 33, not the 2LP 45?

4. Rick360/12

Rick360/12 Forum Resident

Ah. If so, my apologies, just trying to help out. ☹️
    I’ve pinged them an email on the off-chance to see if they can get more, just in case. If I get a positive response, I’ll report back.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What can I look for in the deadwax?

6. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Yes, of course, but there is instrumentation heard on the surround mix not present on the stereo mix (NGBA). Or at least that's what i recall.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

You're looking for one with 18665 etched in deadwax which i believe corresponds to Pallas and the SH/KPG initials. This version was in my deluxe set... initals.Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (2011, Vinyl)

WhatDoIKnow and supermd like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nope, not mine. Some numbers and then "HL." Thank you for the information.

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh yeah, I forgot that I bought this from Amazon UK. :laugh:

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Probably too distant of a lead at this point, but a few years ago I was in the gift shop of Fleetwood's in Maui (they were displaying/selling a collection of Mick Rock photos, IIRC) and they had many many copies of Rumours LPs in various configurations with the KG/SH mastering in the deadwax. Worth dropping by to see if they still have any, if you happen to be in Lahaina on Front St.

12. emailists

emailists Forum Resident

The only LP pressing I seem to have is a Nautilus pressing, which I've read is not great. Is there a particular hi res remaster offered I should look to purchase that is considered the best available?

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Nautilus is hit and miss, I have quite a few. John Lennon’s last album…I can’t believe I’m forgetting the title….is amazing. Rita Coolidge Anytime, Anywhere is stellar. A few others are good, the rest are just okay.

The Fleetwood Mac is in a category of it’s own….Worst Nautilus I’ve ever heard and miles away from an audiophile experience….steer clear! They butchered it badly. Would love to hear the story behind that as I’ve heard others say the same. Just muddy and very wonky sounding. Sounds like they ran it through a compressor and didn’t know what they were doing. No idea what they used for a master, but I’m glad I was able to dump mine years ago.

14. SH, you should run at least one pass of an overdriven, meter-pegged version of "Go Your Own Way", for the educational value of it. Hear what the multitracked guitars of the ending jam sound like in Neil Young "crunch and chomp" mode.

15. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

Only a thousand times? Sorry but this album deserves more listens than that.:D

16. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

Could someone please help with this release i am looking for the repress of the s/hoffman master and i ordered from this site below.

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/fleetwood-mac-rumours-391636

Aa you can see the front cover displays the Pressed at Pallas sticker but the one i received today does not and the back cover states made in Canada.

Not opened at the moment thought i would check here first

Thank you

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The CA on the back is for California, not Canada. I see they also have the EU reissue available on the dropdown. The one you linked looks to be the US reissue, which is likely Steve's version. When it was released, I ordered from Amazon Canada but they ended up sending me the EU version, which is most definitely not Steve's version. It was a a stunning pressing with not even the slightest pope or click but the mastering was dull as could be sounding like a blanket was thrown over the speakers. Steve's sounds natural and organic very similar to an early pressing I own but more dynamic.

audiofool likes this.
  18. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

No clearly states Made in CANADA

19. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I ordered from HHV due to the pressed at Pallas sticker but it was not our hosts version unfortunately. I had to order from the US to get a copy and even this was off center. I’ve given up on ever getting a decent copy of this pressing.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  20. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

Oh interesting did you have the sticker on the front pressed in Pallas also?
    Where was it made?

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have no idea what you have. :confused:

22. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Sorry @timnor, let me get this straight: you ordered and received a copy with the "pressed at Pallas" sticker and it turned out to be something other than the SH/KG pressing?

23. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

I hope he reply's because i would like to know also. I think he ordered just like me because the image online clearly shows pressed in pallas but when you receive it not correct sticker.

timnor likes this.
  24. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I'm sure he will.
    I find it irritating that shops like hhv, jpc or amazon don't mention the exact ean/upc.
    Will you be able to send it back for a refund? You bought it based on info on their website, but I understand that it can be difficult to explain to the shop owner...

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ok sorry. I thought you meant the picture on the website you linked to. It says Made in the USA in the bottom right corner.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.